Cleaner

Which is the best track to use please I am a newbie

Post by nigel273 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:29 pm

I am a newbie and wondering which track to use please

philipy

Re: Which is the best track to use please I am a newbie

Post by philipy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:35 am

Hi Nigel and welcome to the forum.

Not sure if you are asking which track manufacturer to use or whether to go 32mm or 45mm gauge ( or perhaps both)?

In terms of manufacturer, for a complete novice I would suggest Peco. They do range of settrack items which are quick and easy to put together although more difficult to keep flat and level. They also do 900mm lengths of flexible track which require many fewer joins but do need care with the bending.

For gauge it is a much more personal choice and may to varying degrees depend on whether you want to model a particular prototype or whether you incline towards Uk/european/ US/ Aussie railways.

Please give us some insight as to what you are thinking and we'll be happy to advise further.
Philip

nigel273
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nigel273 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:33 am

Many thanks for your help

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:06 am

Hi Nigel
Welcome to the forum. That's a good question to start off with. Sounds like you're serious about getting started
As Philip says, it really depends on which gauge you are planning to use.

45mm is generally used either to represent standard gauge or metre or three foot narrow gauge.
32mm is generally used for two foot narrow gauge or can be used for standard gauge if you want to use 0 scale (7mm : 1ft).

Are you planning to use live steam or electric power (or a bit of both)?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:37 am

Hi Nigel and welcome to the forum, you have had advice form two of the foremost knowledgeable people of the the forum (there are others of course), but as each has said, a little more information would be of benefit to enable a fuller and more complete answer.
Anyhow, best of luck in which ever way you choose, and please keep us informed of your progress :) :)

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:01 pm

Echoing what others are saying (so why am I posting this ?) Before any definitive advise can be given, even if that is possible, a little more information as to what type of train (prototype) floats your boat and what sort of space will be available is required. Keep in mind even the most dispassionate of adviser will have their own particular preferences that may colour their opinions. As do I.

Cards on the table - I am very much a fan of LGB's chunky 45 mm code 332 (rail height in thou"). Why ? Well I started out 18 years very much scatter gun in my approach, as a lot do, I bought what took my fancy. And LGB's system was preeminent, and pretty much still is in the wider scheme of garden railways. I really did not know what I wanted then. At that time US std gauge and European NG examples were bought. Then I discovered live steam UK & Colonial NG subject matter and its close ally 16 mm scale and 3 ft gauge US prototypes in the popular, for them, 15 mm scale. The die was cast, so to speak.

Now, here is the point of my post - No matter where you start you never know where you might finish up. That and the fact that opting for one of the 45 mm gauged track systems, a lot are fully compatible with LGB's, will give you the widest scope to develop over time without the possible need for wholesale re-equipping at some point to accommodate your developing/changing interests. Again, why ? Pretty much every product manufacturer out there realises the need to make product, that naturally has its home in 16 mm scale/32 mm gauge, available as readily re-gaugable to 45 mm or with an option to buy in that gauge setting to make the all important sales volumes. The reverse is rarely true. Max

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:13 pm

I will just add food for thought to this.

Do any of your local friends or local club mates have a track, if so, what do they primarily use? If you want to do running days with anyone local, it is best to keep that in mind as if they all run the opposite to you, you aren't going to many of their and they won't come to yours.

I ended up having an outer 45mm track and an inner 32mm track, but I planned all of this before I started building it as mine was a 50 / 50 split of who ran what. :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

nigel273
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nigel273 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:15 pm

Thanks for your help guys I think I have enough to go on now thanks everyone for your help

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:45 am

Nigel, welcome. What ever you choose, the first Rule is....

It's your line and you do what you what with it. The 32mm route is a good one has Tingewickmax as mentioned. 32mm seems to be the one that most of the kit manufacturers make and you can get them in 45mm also.

Have you thought of what you mainly want to run. The big two manufacturer's of steam and electric are Roundhouse and Accucraft. Both have very good reputations and excellent service. My self I have a 32mm Roundhouse Billy, which I bought off one of the best modellers on here and who is a minefield of knowledge. Have a look at his thread. Time to build a railway line.....but where? You will see so much information on there. ge-rik is also a good source with his Blog's, he goes in great detail. There are lots of sources on here, meaning members who will gladly help anyone, even if you are a very experienced modeller or someone new.

One bit of advice I will give to you is....Take your time with what ever you decide on and research, look at Youtube videos of garden railways, unfortunately now because of lockdown we are not able to visit gardens or go to shows, but there is still a wealth of information out there......

Good luck and hopefully you can have a line that you will be proud of....

nigel273
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nigel273 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:01 pm

Many thanks for your reply