Need gearbox advise

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Need gearbox advise

Post by Tingewickmax » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:49 pm

I am looking for a suitable gearbox/transmission for a 16 mm scale 0-4-0 diesel loco. I already have the chassis and wheel sets There is 38 mm space available between the wheel backs and insulating bushes. It must accept an 1/8th inch axle and use metal gears preferably, worm and pinion type. I have available to use an MFA 719RE360 6-15 v electric motor (10500rpm @ 12 v) This has a 2.3 mm diameter motor shaft. I will be adding a Delrin chain and sprocket system to the axles to create a 4WD chassis. These sprockets require 8 mm of axle space per side, although this could be reduced by around 2 mm. Potentially there is up to 26 mm to accommodate the gearbox output if the motor is centrally mounted, more if offset. The motor will have to mount vertically within the frames due to the incorporation of the 4WD drive mechanism. This loco may be lugging some heavyish loads. I have spotted a couple of likely candidates, PDF and Dean Goods but any other suggestions would be most welcome. I am happy to consider other motor options. it's a fairly low cost component. I will be fitting RC control and already have this equipment, Fosworks, and a 12 v NiMH battery pack. Could you point me towards other potential suppliers for this item please ? Max

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Need gearbox advise

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:30 pm

I don't know how much space you have overall in the chassis length but I have used this method which is a strong 4WD link using a similar motor to yours.
If you want more info about gear supplies let me know.......
IMG_3068.JPG
IMG_3068.JPG (476.7 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Need gearbox advise

Post by Tingewickmax » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:26 pm

Interesting Peter. However the architecture of the chassis I am using would probably preclude that layout. Not averse to bevel gears but I am looking for a vertical motor mount and a very positive locating of the gears in relation to each other, i.e. within a yolk with bearings pressed in for the axle and to limit side to side movement of the gear within it fixed to the axle and the motor in a fixed position perpendicular to the axle. I also want to retain the chain and sprocket 4WD, it is sort of related to the prototype.

If push came to shove and I had to replace the chassis too I would stump up for a complete PDF Baguley unit. But thanks for your input, Max