Glass glazing for rolling stock kits

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
TheChestnutLine
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Glass glazing for rolling stock kits

Post by TheChestnutLine » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:22 pm

Hi guys,

I’ve purchased a Phil Sharples Padarn brake van kit. The kit is really nice but one thing it doesn’t come with is glazing for the windows. When I have purchased kits from brandbright or IP engineering in the past they have been supplied with glass to glaze the windows with. I don’t need a lot obviously, so I wondered if anyone knows where I might be able to purchase some from? Or any alternative suggestions would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
James
James

jimmytrains_01
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Glass glazing for rolling stock kits

Post by jimmytrains_01 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:46 pm

I've glazed my padarn van with 0.1mm Acrylic sheet from Materials Testing and Technical Services Ltd. based in Kingston upon Thames. £4.50 for two A4 sheets worth. came as an a4 large letter free.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:34 pm

I usually use clear styrene as glazing and prefer something more substantial than 0.1mm thickness. This company offers a variety of sizes with free post.
There are others listed too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12x16cm-Pict ... SwRLZUEwqs
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:49 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:34 pm I usually use clear styrene as glazing and prefer something more substantial than 0.1mm thickness.
Me also..........

Glass windows are flat and thin clear sheet in a model doesn't look right when it reflects light, as it is too flexible to sit flat.

In garden scale I usually use 1.5mm acrylic sheet to simulate glass as I have a good supply left from a long ago project, but I've also got some 1.2mm clear polystyrene that I use from time to time.

Graeme

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:11 pm

I go for 1.5mm acrylic too, but that's largely because I make droplights from three layers of 0.5mm ply, so the glazing of the rest of the carriage has to match. The droplights have to have 0.5mm acrylic for glazing of course, but are small and well braced, so I don't think flexing's a problem. Interestingly, I've not noticed a discernible difference in the appearance of the two thicknesses, even when used side-by-side - I'd assumed they'd reflect light differently or something, but not noticeably so, it seems...

Andrew.