Storage and conservation of steam cylinders after use

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Storage and conservation of steam cylinders after use

Post by benchmark » Sat May 16, 2020 8:40 am

I am facing a few challenges getting around this problem with my larger model. Will it be sufficient after steaming to just run it on air with both cylinder drain cocks open to blow out all the water in the cylinders and the mechanical lubricator will likewise still be pumping steam oil into the steam chest?
Alternatively , maybe I should drain the steam oil before storage and fill the mechanical lubricator with a bit lighter engine oil instead to achieve better oil film spread over the parts in the steam chest whilst under storage?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Storage and conservation of steam cylinders after use

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat May 16, 2020 9:15 am

I just solved this problem on my 5" loco by adding removable bolts to the cylinder covers:

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 36&t=12484

You can also squirt oil into the exhaust once you have dropped the fire and the engine has cooled and then push the engine backwards. Leave the drain cocks and all valves open after a run.

benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Post by benchmark » Sat May 16, 2020 11:15 am

Lovely thread you have in the link, I have replied there.
I will surely look into your suggestion.

What do you thing about my idea of air running with lighter oil in the mechanical lubricator for now?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed May 20, 2020 4:22 pm

You can run the engine on light machine oil while running on air as there is no need to use steam oil.

But if your purpose is to clear the cylinders after a run then you would already have steam oil in the lubricator and pipework. Light oil will have a hard time penetrating the thicker steam oil.

Looking at the loco, adding bolts to the steam chest covers should not be difficult otherwise squirt steam oil down the exhaust pipe in the chimney after a run and push the engine backwards with the drains cocks open to push the condensate out of the cylinders.