Prusa i3 3d printer

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Prusa i3 3d printer

Post by ge_rik » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:31 pm

metalmuncher wrote: ↑Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:31 pm .... Looks like the machine doesn't have a heated bed ....
Actually it does, controlled via a thermistor. Considering what I paid for it, I'm well pleased. Still got to get to grips with its capabilities (and non capabilities) and in some ways it's a bit Heath Robinson, but that somehow mirrors my approach to the hobby - if I can find a way of doing something cheaply, I will πŸ€—

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:39 pm

This may not look much but getting to grips with Sketchup and figuring out how to get curves on curves for the seat backs was a challenge in itself! I need to improve the mounting between the seat and the back, but basically I'm almost ready to go into production..... :sunny:
IMG_0532.JPG
IMG_0532.JPG (79.02 KiB) Viewed 5373 times
Also need to tweak the size slightly, but that's easily done.

Feeling quite chuffed!

Rik
------------------------

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:48 pm

It looks like you've printed them pre-upholstered with some sort of velour.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:36 pm

Those are excellent Rik. Well done at such an early stage in the learning curve.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:44 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: ↑Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:48 pm It looks like you've printed them pre-upholstered with some sort of velour.
I could say I planned it that way, but in reality it was pure happenstance.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:47 pm

philipy wrote: ↑Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:36 pm Those are excellent Rik. Well done at such an early stage in the learning curve.
Took a fair bit of trial, error, watching YouTube videos and googling but they've turned out ok. I'd like to really get to grips with SketchUp. It looks like it can do some amazing stuff, but it's not always intuitive.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:56 pm

ge_rik wrote: ↑Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:47 pm but it's not always intuitive.
No it isn't although I found that once I did actually find a specific technique it was kind of obvious. The one thing that I still CANNOT get to work consistently is rotating an object. I know how to do it but I can never select the correct plane, dunno why.

BTW in case you haven't found out about them yet, there are two plug-ins that you should get. One is the stl exporter and the other is the consistency checker which is called Solid Inspector 2.
Philip

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 pm

I don't know if you ever watched Wil E Coyote, who had a business card that I always wanted.
I think you deserve it...

Ge_Rik
Ge_nius
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:44 am

gregh wrote: ↑Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 pm I don't know if you ever watched Wil E Coyote, who had a business card that I always wanted.
I think you deserve it...

Ge_Rik
Ge_nius
Thanks Greg
I'm not sure I deserve that accolade. I see myself more as a slogger. I get where I'm going by sheer cussedness rather than intelligence. But then, maybe an intelligent person wouldn't bother trying in the first place.... :?

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:50 am

philipy wrote: ↑Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:56 pm No it isn't although I found that once I did actually find a specific technique it was kind of obvious. The one thing that I still CANNOT get to work consistently is rotating an object. I know how to do it but I can never select the correct plane, dunno why.

BTW in case you haven't found out about them yet, there are two plug-ins that you should get. One is the stl exporter and the other is the consistency checker which is called Solid Inspector 2.
Hi Philip
Same here. I did actually manage to rotate the seat back from vertical to horizontal but Im not sure I could reliably repeat the process. Oddly enough, when I imported it into Cura it was vertical again - and I found it's easier to rotate it and lay it flat in Cura. A lesson learned.

I'll seek out those plug-ins. I exported the drawings as .obj and they imported OK into Cura. Not sure which format is the best at preserving detail.

I'm going to write a couple of blog posts on my experiences in case anyone fancies having a go themselves. It will definitely be an Idiot's Guide.... ;)

Rik

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:40 am

This link explains the differences between obj and stl, although it is aimed at 3D scanning rather than 3D printing
https://matterandform.net/blog/long-live-the-obj

For what we need, I think the benefits of obj over stl are minimal to non-existant, but if your system can handle it then fine. Unfortunately my Qidi software has had that functionality removed from their customised version of Cura - there are several Cura functions that they have removed for no obvious reason.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 02, 2020 11:42 am

Update on progress. After the initial honeymoon period, I ran out of the small spool of green filament which was supplied with the printer and ordered some more online. When it arrived, I experienced all sorts of problems, mainly because I couldn't get the pieces I was trying to print to stick to the print bed. As you can imagine, as the printer applies a series of layers to what has already been printed, if what's been printed moves then subsequent layers can end up all over the place - the worst is to end up with a big bundle of knotted string.

It took me a while to figure out what was needed - and thanks to Philipy for stepping in and advising! But in the end, all that was needed was to replace the masking tape on the bed, clean the knurled wheel that feeds the filament to the print head and lower the temperature of the printhead by 5C. I've also decided to print a skirt around each object. Not essential but it does help to improve adhesion and also makes sure the plastic is flowing freely before it starts printing the actual piece.

I've placed the printer in another corner (away from draughts), stiffened the structure (small wobbles in the frame cause interesting corrugations in the printing) and improved the way the screw threads controlling the vertical movement are connected to the stepper motors.
IMG_0533.JPG
IMG_0533.JPG (97.99 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
I've also ordered some bushed bearing brackets to support the tops of the threaded rods. They only cost a fiver for two (inc postage) from a UK supplier but should help improve the stability of the rods, particularly when printing taller models. In the meantime, here's progress so far on the seats ...
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG (75.93 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
I've been tinkering with the settings in between each print, but now think I've now got the definitive version of each. The learning curve is beginning to flatten out!! Here's the printer in action, printing one of the seats.
IMG_0543.JPG
IMG_0543.JPG (61.12 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
MetalMuncher suggested this was more of a project than a printer. He's quite right. But in many ways, I feel I'm learning more by having to fiddle and tweak to get it working as reliably as I would want. I'm hoping I can improve the quality of the prints as I make these improvements. Until I reach the stage, maybe, where I've taken it as far as I can - then maybe Santa might be feeling generous.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat May 02, 2020 12:13 pm

ge_rik wrote: ↑Sat May 02, 2020 11:42 am MetalMuncher suggested this was more of a project than a printer. He's quite right. But in many ways, I feel I'm learning more by having to fiddle and tweak to get it working as reliably as I would want. I'm hoping I can improve the quality of the prints as I make these improvements. Until I reach the stage, maybe, where I've taken it as far as I can - then maybe Santa might be feeling generous.
Glad you're getting there Rik.
As I said once before about my own experiences many moons ago, beating the learning curve and making the @$?&%$! machine do what I want is satisfaction in itself.
Then eventually you get to the point of being able to use it as any other tool in the box without thinking - last week I realised that somewhere over the winter I had lost a small part for the rain sensor on the garden irrigation system. Half an hour of drawing and half an hour printing and I have a new one - in black, not the horrible bright orange of the 'proper' one!!
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat May 02, 2020 12:13 pm

I think this scenario Rik is equivalent to my situation where I am tempted to buy a cheap worktop lathe but the reality is I need something more substantial.

However, as you say you now know what you need now through experience which sometimes is the only way to find out (mostly how I learn!).

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 02, 2020 1:33 pm

philipy wrote: ↑Sat May 02, 2020 12:13 pm ......- last week I realised that somewhere over the winter I had lost a small part for the rain sensor on the garden irrigation system. Half an hour of drawing and half an hour printing and I have a new one - in black, not the horrible bright orange of the 'proper' one!!
I'm looking forward to reaching that stage!

I can remember when I first started scratch bashing locos and stock. I used to dread the painting process. Now I've been through several minor disasters with runs, paint reacting to primer, paint reacting to varnish, plasticard reacting to glue etc etc etc, I've reached the stage where, if something goes wrong, I just tut a few times and get on with it.

I'm hoping it won't be long before I feel the same about the printer.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:30 pm

I'm writing a series of blog posts about my experiences with the printer. Here's the first - a guide to assembling it. Working on the principle that there may be others who found the instructions difficult to follow or, in my case, for a different printer, I thought there may be a few people out there who would like an illustrated guide to its assembly.
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... et-a8.html

Rik
------------------------

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:18 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:30 pm I'm writing a series of blog posts about my experiences with the printer. Here's the first - a guide to assembling it. Working on the principle that there may be others who found the instructions difficult to follow or, in my case, for a different printer, I thought there may be a few people out there who would like an illustrated guide to its assembly.
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... et-a8.html

Rik
Looks good Rik, now I just need to find a reason to buy a 3D printer so I can use the instructions.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:28 am

Is there no end to your skill and talent Rik. You have done a great job with the locos and now there will be no stopping you with even more brilliant builds.. :thumbright: :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:28 am

One other thing Rik, do they need to be in a reasonably dust free environment :?:

I have seen 3D printers that are in some sort of enclosure. I am not thinking of getting a printer mate, even though I set up CNC pipe benders, the intricate things that need to be done to print something would be far beyond me.... :roll:

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:59 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:28 am One other thing Rik, do they need to be in a reasonably dust free environment :?:
If I can interject here, the answer is "reasonably" i.e. I wouldn't use mine and have a mechanical sander going at the same time, but I haven't found normal household/modelling activities to be an issue.

A couple of days ago I had been outside mowing the grass and then came in to set the printer going. Without me realising it a couple of grass clippings must have fallen into the machine and landed on the bed.... I only found out when I removed the two pieces from the machine subsequently.....
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG (141.01 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
:D :roll: :lol: :lol:
FWIW, they are permanently embedded and haven't affected to print on the faces underneath, that you can't see here.
FWLR wrote: ↑Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:28 am I have seen 3D printers that are in some sort of enclosure. I am not thinking of getting a printer mate, even though I set up CNC pipe benders, the intricate things that need to be done to print something would be far beyond me.... :roll:
My Qidi is in an enclosure, it comes as standard, but enclosures are more to do with maintaining an even temperature for some print materials, one being ABS. PLA, which is probably the the most common material, wants to be kept cool so the enclosure is opened and the nozzle fans turned on. In this case of course, having no enclsure simply isn't an issue.
Philip