Metal paint

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Metal paint

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:48 pm

Looking for alternatives to Hammerite as the new stuff is rubbish (I think they have made it all H&S compliant, it does not smell).

I want to be able to paint by brush directly to steel, I am not trying to achieve an immaculate finish as I want an used look.

Cheers,

Tom

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Metal paint

Post by GTB » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:56 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:48 pm Looking for alternatives to Hammerite as the new stuff is rubbish (I think they have made it all H&S compliant, it does not smell).

I want to be able to paint by brush directly to steel, I am not trying to achieve an immaculate finish as I want an used look.
When I brush painted the 12” gauge rail tractor I used Wattyl Killrust epoxy enamel which is solvent based, but Wattyl is an Aust. brand. That was probably 20 years ago and it hasn't needed repainting since.

Hammerite is available in Aust. and is still solvent based, but I'm not sure I've even seen it in hardware stores.

If you can find one in your area, talk to a trade paint supplier. An industrial synthetic alkyd enamel, or epoxy enamel should do the job, as industrial paints have to work properly and may still be solvent based.

If all else fails, use an automotive paint and matching primer in a spray can.

Regards,
Graeme

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:59 am

Aldi sometimes sell a metal paint which seems to be a Hammerite type paint ( but doesn't smell the same). I've used the green one on garden furniture successfully with only a cursory wash down first and it seems to last 2 or 3 years in all weathers. From memory they do it in green, white and black.
I think they start stocking it about this time of year ready for summer and then stock runs down over the next few months.
Philip

chrispearce
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by chrispearce » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:41 am

I have just tried Rustoleum paint. This is an interior and exterior under and top coat in one which is multi-surface. Seems to work well on wood and metal straight from the tin. Nice to apply and gives a good finish. Not a huge range of colours but has gloss/satin/matt finishes. Does plastic as well. Haven't tried it outdoors yet but maybe worth a look. Certainly available at Homebase and B&Q.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:04 pm

Thank you for the advice guys.

What type of paint brush should you use with metal paints?

I am happy to buy cheaper brushes and not bother with cleaning expensive brushes each time.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:26 pm

Thats what I tend to do Tom
Philip