Radio control and compatibility

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Puddlejumper
Cleaner
Cleaner

Radio control and compatibility

Post by Puddlejumper » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:19 am

Hi guys
I'm sure this has probably been asked before but being a bit of a numpty I can't find it.
On to the point. I am just starting out in garden railways having inherited my late fathers kit a few years ago but I've been modelling in 7mm scale for many years. I've been looking at battery powered radio control and this months article in Garden Rail has inspired me to do a bit more so I've ordered some cheapo receivers and ESCs but haven't got a transmitter. I like the idea of the Deltang type with the ability to pair up to 12 locos to one device but I don't know if it will be compatible with the cheapo receivers etc I've ordered. They are all 2.4Ghz but my lack of knowledge doesn't allow me to know whether they will all work together. My first attempt will be into an HGLW kit that I've ordered (inspired by Ge Rik of this parish) which I'm hoping to have delivered very soon.
All help and suggestions gratefully accepted and received.
Thanks
Doug
Doug

Hopelessly bodging stuff into some sort of semblance of a railway up in the frozen wasteland of County Durham.
16mm(ish) scale NG on 32mm track

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Radio control and compatibility

Post by ge_rik » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:52 am

Hi Doug
Deltang txs will bond with 2.4gHz Spektrum DSM2 and DSMX rxs only so, unless you've found a cheap source, it's unlikely the rxs you have bought will be compatible. Also, to be able to get the full range of binding 12 locos with one tx, you really need to stick with Deltang rxs as they are specifically configured for compatibility.

If you want to keep costs down, you could explore using Arduino and Bluetooth with a smart phone. I notice that Steve Massiker has now developed his app so it can switch between different locos, but you'd need to have a bit of confidence in playing around with electronic modules to set up the system in each loco.

https://arduinorailwaycontrol.com/

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:18 pm

Can you provide a link to the receivers you have bought? Then I can tell you which transmitter they will work with.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:20 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:52 am Hi Doug
Deltang txs will bond with 2.4gHz Spektrum DSM2 and DSMX rxs only
They don't need to be Spektrum receivers, just ones that run DSM2 or DSMX protocol. Lots of cheap versions - I have used LemonRX for many years.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:16 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:20 pm
They don't need to be Spektrum receivers, just ones that run DSM2 or DSMX protocol. Lots of cheap versions - I have used LemonRX for many years.
I used Orange rx's with Deltang, but like Rik says, you can not use 12 at a time, I stead, just one. :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:29 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:20 pm
Yes - quite so. Thanks for correcting me.

Rik
------------------------

Puddlejumper
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Puddlejumper » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:33 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys.
These are the receivers I've ordered https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Standard ... 2749.l2649

And these are the ESCs https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20A-ESC-Brus ... 2749.l2649

I haven't spent a fortune on them so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I couldn't use them. I guess I need to have another look at Deltang options and seek further advice from you guys.

Unless of course there is another way of doing it🤔🤔
Doug

Hopelessly bodging stuff into some sort of semblance of a railway up in the frozen wasteland of County Durham.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:40 pm

Those are Flysky so you need a Flysky transmitter: https://uk.banggood.com/buy/flysky-tx-i6.html

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:12 am

I've got three FlySky compatible transmitters you can have for the cost of postage if you want them.

Rik
------------------------

Puddlejumper
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Puddlejumper » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:22 am

ge_rik wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:12 am I've got three FlySky compatible transmitters you can have for the cost of postage if you want them.

Rik
Wow
That is incredibly generous of you and much appreciated Ill drop you a message with my details Thank you so much.
Doug

Puddlejumper
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Puddlejumper » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:53 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:12 am I've got three FlySky compatible transmitters you can have for the cost of postage if you want them.

Rik
Hi Rik
I think I've sent you a PM but not sure if it's actually gone??Thanks
Doug
Doug

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:14 pm

Puddlejumper wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:53 pm

Rik
Hi Rik
I think I've sent you a PM but not sure if it's actually gone??Thanks
Doug
PM received and responded to

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:50 pm

Nice work Rik helping out here.

Puddlejumper
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Puddlejumper » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:08 pm

Just a very quick reply to close this off.

Rik very kindly sent me 3 Txs and a Rx to get me started It is an extraordinarily kind gesturea and I am more than happy to show my appreciation here of the forum.

Rik, you are a gent, thanks again :thumbleft:
Doug

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:13 pm

No problem. Better they are being put to good use than sitting in a box in my workshop.
I hope they prove useful - have fun!

Rik

PS I did think of taking the guts out of the cases and making Deltang style txs with a knob or two and buttons. But somehow I never got around to it...
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:47 pm

Great effort Rik helping out here.

Over the years, I have read many times of members helping each other out so the idea that 'Internet forums are a thing of the past' is not true.

Puddlejumper
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Puddlejumper » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:46 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:13 pm No problem. Better they are being put to good use than sitting in a box in my workshop.
I hope they prove useful - have fun!

Rik

PS I did think of taking the guts out of the cases and making Deltang style txs with a knob or two and buttons. But somehow I never got around to it...
What a good idea.....I think I'll give that a try. :thumbleft:
Doug

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:16 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:47 pm Over the years, I have read many times of members helping each other out so the idea that 'Internet forums are a thing of the past' is not true.
I see our community as a sort of virtual club. I sometimes feel like a bit of a misfit in 'traditional' garden railway circles. I run battery powered steam outline locos which is an anathema to many 16 millers, I don't do track power and bash out of the box models which many G Scalers find peculiar, my models are approximations rather than scale models so rivet counters are discomforted and I enjoy shunting operations and freight movements which many garden railers regard as bizarre. But, despite all that, you lot make me feel at home and many of you are genuinely interested in what I get up to.

Over the years, fellow forumites have 3D printed things for me, sent me spare parts, given me wagon chassis and coach bodies, provided me with accommodation, shared their expertise and given me loads of inspiration, ideas, encouragement and constructive feedback. As I write this, I have three LGB point motors winging their way across the globe, kindly donated by another member of the forum.

There is a good sense of camaraderie on this forum which doesn't suffer from the same sort of censure, rancour and one-up-manship which is evident on other platforms (accidental pun).

Rik
------------------------

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:46 am

ge_rik wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:16 am ........
Over the years, fellow forumites have 3D printed things for me, sent me spare parts, given me wagon chassis and coach bodies, provided me with accommodation, shared their expertise and given me loads of inspiration, ideas, encouragement and constructive feedback. As I write this, I have three LGB point motors winging their way across the globe, kindly donated by another member of the forum.
There is a good sense of camaraderie on this forum which doesn't suffer from the same sort of censure, rancour and one-up-manship which is evident on other platforms (accidental pun).
Rik
I second those sentiments. GR forums have been a a great help to me in actually meeting other like minded lunatics from around the globe.
May the Forum continue to thrive.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:37 am

That's one of the features I have found with 16mm, is that we are not all rivet counters and whatever you want to do is fine with the rest of us. "It's my railway and I will do what I want" is something that seems to escape a number of other forums, I have seen instances of someone showing a photo of of a build in progress and the responses from other forum members is so negative that it causes the original poster to leave the forum.
I'm sure that will never happen here.
Phil