wiring?

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
frank3447
Cleaner
Cleaner

wiring?

Post by frank3447 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:09 pm

Hello everybody new boy here. I am looking to wire a scratch-built 16mm Diesel loco. I need a wiring diagram (simple) to connect the Batteries/charger socket/speed controller and direction toggle switch the on-off-on version. If someone out there can help you have my thanks. Frank.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: wiring?

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi Frank
Welcome aboard.

Here's a basic wiring diagram. You won't need the receiver otherwise the same as this.
Circuit.jpg
Circuit.jpg (24.71 KiB) Viewed 7112 times
There's more info on my blog though it's more focused on radio control, but some of the general info on batteries etc should be relevant.
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2013/1 ... r-and.html

There are plenty of helpful chaps and chapesses on here.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Hi Frank
Just realised you need a reversing switch as well. This would go in between the speed controller and the motor.
DC-motor-reversing-switch-schematic-wiring-diagram-285x275.jpg
DC-motor-reversing-switch-schematic-wiring-diagram-285x275.jpg (20.16 KiB) Viewed 7110 times
Rik
------------------------

frank3447
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by frank3447 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:44 pm

Thanks, Chaps.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:53 pm

Those are lovely clear diagrams, thanks Rik.

I've got a dead Andel "Moelwyn" which I'd like to bring back to life - I'm pretty sure the problem is that the rechargable batteries have been allowed to get so flat that they'll no longer take a charge. It's because I can go for long periods without running a loco and am very bad at remembering to charge them. It's the second time this has happened with this loco - the first time I was able to revive the battery pack with a trickle charger, but this time I think it's too far gone.

My proposed remedy is either to replace the pack with a new rechargeable one, or to give up on that and just go for a regular, removable, battery holder and batteries. I wasn't sure what effect the latter option would have on the rest of the circuit - looking at Rik's diagram, am I right in thinking that it would be fine, in that as long as I've got the two-way switch routing current appropriately the charging socket will simply be by-passed?

Any thoughts would be most welcome!

Thanks,

Andrew.

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:56 pm

Provided you do not have a charger pluged in, the charger socket will cause no problems. The two way switch will then just work like an on-off switch set to run and the batterries will be connected to the motor. Set to Charge the Batteries and Motor will not be connected so it will not run.

Don

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:51 pm

Andrew wrote: ↑Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:53 pm I've got a dead Andel "Moelwyn" which I'd like to bring back to life - I'm pretty sure the problem is that the rechargable batteries have been allowed to get so flat that they'll no longer take a charge. It's because I can go for long periods without running a loco and am very bad at remembering to charge them.
That's why I use Eneloop cells in my battery powered models, I got tired of killing conventional NiMH cells. I can leave the Eneloops for several years between runs without them completely self-discharging.

Alkaline non-rechargeable cells are OK for low power locos, but can't supply as high a current as NiMH and Li chemistry cells.

For info on the care and feeding of rechargables, I've found this site useful. https://batteryuniversity.com/

To get back to the original subject of the thread, I've found over the years that reversing switches are much easier to wire out of the model, as access to the terminals for soldering is much easier if the switch body is gripped in a small vice. I also use thin single core wire for the two short wires that cross over each other.

Regards,
Graeme

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:31 pm

Agree with Graeme, Eneloop batteries are the way to go.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:47 pm

Excellent, thanks chaps. I'd not heard of Eneloop batteries before, they look great. Can they go in a regular charger?

I'll try to find time to get the loco apart over the next week or two to see what size battery pack I'll need and he space available...

Cheers,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:03 am

You don't need a special charger Andrew :thumbup:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:18 am

I prefer li-ion batteries but I do have one loco powered with Hobbyking LSD (Low Self Discharge) NiMh cells. I've found these to be very reliable and a fair bit cheaper than Eneloops.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-rec ... h-lsd.html

When I bought them there was a deal when buying four at a time, but not found that link on the site.

Recently used some which had been sitting on the shelf for over a year in my camera and they worked immediately. They work fine in a standard charger.

Rik
------------------------

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:47 am

tom_tom_go wrote: ↑Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:03 am You don't need a special charger Andrew :thumbup:
It gets better and better... Cheers!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:00 am

Has Rik as mentioned, the batteries from Hobbyking are well worth the money. Turnigy is the brand name and they do guarantee that if it states 2550mAh batteries NiMH cells are 2550mAh. I have used them before and can't fault them. The Eneloops are good also and I have these too.

The more I use and make models the more I collect them. Could end up with enough battery power to keep the home light for months..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

frank3447
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by frank3447 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:34 pm

DSC00010 (6).JPG
DSC00010 (6).JPG (427.35 KiB) Viewed 6778 times
Hello again everybody.

I am still struggling with the wiring I am trying to wire up a Motor, Toggle Switch (on/off/on)/PWM speed controller and batteries I have attached a photo as to what I am trying to achieve. I just need a Sparks out there to show me where the wires go a freehand diagramme would be great.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:55 am

Hi Frank,

The photo doesn't help much with what you've actually done, since it is fuzzy and doesn't show the full paths of all your wires,plus the connections to the switch are partially obscured as well.

Rik's diagrams are spot on but I've slightly redrawn them ( very crudely, my apologies Rik!) to hopefully make them somewhat clearer to somebody who has no experience. If you don't want the charging socket then you can simply omit it and it's switch, and connect the battery output, direct to the speed controller input.
modified.jpg
modified.jpg (21.08 KiB) Viewed 6747 times
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:28 am

Thanks Philip, you beat me to it.

Rik
------------------------

frank3447
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by frank3447 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:39 am

:D Thanks to you all. Diagram did the job (big relief). I can now fit it to my Diesel. Once finished I 'll post a photo. Frank.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:36 am

frank3447 wrote: ↑Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:39 am :D Thanks to you all. Diagram did the job (big relief). I can now fit it to my Diesel. Once finished I 'll post a photo. Frank.
To quote Professor Dumbledore.... " Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:35 pm

frank3447 wrote: ↑Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:39 am :D Thanks to you all. Diagram did the job (big relief). I can now fit it to my Diesel. Once finished I 'll post a photo. Frank.
Great! Looking forward to seeing it. Always happy to help if I can.

Rik
------------------------

frank3447
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by frank3447 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:29 pm

Hello.
It works :D My first effort in scratch building it can only get better right!. Thanks again.
Attachments
DSC00012 (4).JPG
DSC00012 (4).JPG (485.76 KiB) Viewed 4481 times