Planet Tx/Rx

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Planet Tx/Rx

Post by FWLR » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:04 am

I had this link sent to me by our East Lancs organiser. I don't know if this is the correct page to show this, so if it needs moving Mod's.......

It is about the Planet Tx. Is this a good Tx and is it worth considering. Also will it only bind with one Rx or can it be used on multiple Rx's.

https://www.stevewebb.co.uk/index.php?p ... area=RADIO

For the price it seems brilliant........

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Planet Tx/Rx

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:06 am

That system uses the 2.4GHz AFHSS Proteus radio protocol so it will only be compatible with kit that uses that.

Deltang and Spektrum use DSM2/DSMX so are compatible with each other.

I thought you used Deltang Rod so you only need to buy extra Rx's and use the one Tx?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:26 am

Hi Tom, you are quite right, I do use Deltang systems. And I think they are brilliant. It's just like I have mention mate, the East Lancs 16mm area organiser sent that link to our all member email. I just wanted opinions about it that's all Tom.

I have explored it a bit more and it seems that, one needs to use their servos and they do seem to be really big. It's one of those things that come to us from other people in our group and I wanted to explore it a bit more. It's after all, getting more and more expensive to get things cheap enough to run our locos, without compromising on quality Tom.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:05 pm

You can use any servo with a Planet RX as long as you ensure the correct wiring order. There are a few very small servos that are only intended for 1S use (single lipo cell, 3.7V) but most of the micro servos we would use are 5V servos.

I've been involved with the R/C hobby both as a hobbyist and professional for the past 25 years so if there is anything you want to know, just ask :D

I'm not quite sure why Planet became so popular with the model railway fraternity as there are cheaper brands out there with more functionality and a better range of compatible receivers to choose from.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:30 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: ↑Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:05 pmI'm not quite sure why Planet became so popular with the model railway fraternity as there are cheaper brands out there with more functionality and a better range of compatible receivers to choose from.
"Bulletproof" would be the word I'd use to describe the "old" Planet T5 system. All of my r/c locos use it, and it came as a shock to many - including the distributor! - when it vanished almost overnight a while ago. The range of receivers was impressive, and the two types of 4-channel with side or end connections were particularly useful when space was short.

I've not managed to find another r/c system that has a range of receivers of various sizes and configurations so I'd be grateful for any pointers you can give. Thanks.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:11 pm

The Saturn XR4 system I fitted to Andrew's Russell recently was reasonably priced and didn't fail any range testing I did including when live steam running so no heat issues.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:17 pm

I use Lemon RX receivers with my Walkera Devo 7e and 10 that are running Deviation software. Flysky is also worth looking at. I buy that from Banggood:
https://www.banggood.com/search/flysky- ... html?sbc=1

The DSM2/DSMX, FrSky and Flysky protocols have been around for a while now and are not likely to go away any time soon. With small brands you always run the risk that they will cease to exist which is one of the reasons why I always wondered why Planet was picked.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:38 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: ↑Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:11 pmThe Saturn XR4 system I fitted to Andrew's Russell recently was reasonably priced and didn't fail any range testing I did including when live steam running so no heat issues.
I've installed a few Saturn sets and yes, they work well. The only problem I have had with them is they are a bit restrictive on which AA batteries can be used in the transmitter. The holders are a bit on the slim side and so certain rechargeable AAs just won't fit and allow the cover the be put back in place.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:39 am

TonyW wrote: ↑Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:38 pm The holders are a bit on the slim side and so certain rechargeable AAs just won't fit and allow the cover the be put back in place.
That's the bane of my life with some of my boat transmitters. I overheard a store manager say to someone serving me "we just buy from so and so and put our own brand wrappers on" and I have found that can make the difference sometimes. Not withstanding you'd think there would be a standard for something as common as an AA battery and the holders to put them in.
Grant.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:10 am

The different size to AA batteries is down to their mAh value? The higher the number the thicker the battery?