Storing spray paint

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Storing spray paint

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:28 pm

I had a go at painting some tins my wife wants to use in the kitchen, however, I have had various issues with the paint along the way so wanted to see what you all think.

1) U-POL etch primer sprayed clumpy despite being brought up to room temperature and shaken well. It is at least a few years old and stored in a garage that is not heated but insulated so has it gone off? The nozzle was clean and I spray cans upside down after use to clear the jet.

2) Halfords clear matt lacquer produced white bits on the paintwork when sprayed so has it expired as well as it is also a few years old and stored in the same garage.

Big Jim

Re: Storing spray paint

Post by Big Jim » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:32 pm

I understand that etch primer can go off.
I don't know what this consists of, it may just loose the etching properties.

As for the lacquer, it may have separated in the can beyond what a good shake can do.

How long did you leave them inside for before using?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:17 pm

I don't know about the paint Tom, but I think the lacquer might improve with temperature increase...... possibly?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:29 pm

A lot of paints and their constituents absorb water over time. One I use has a usable life of about six months, and after that it starts mucking up the paint finish and so goes in the bin. Time then for a new tin of new stuff from my supplier ... and not one that I have kept on a shelf for many months.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:56 pm

Interesting Tony, I would of not considered a pressurised spray can to absorb water?

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:21 pm

I've never stored rattle cans for long but it is worth bearing in mind they may deteriorate with time.
Ian

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:47 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:56 pmInteresting Tony, I would of not considered a pressurised spray can to absorb water?
Ah yes, a good point. I'm using proper tins. Condensation maybe, but that requires the existence of water vapour in the first place. Hmmm...

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:50 pm

IanC wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:21 pm I've never stored rattle cans for long but it is worth bearing in mind they may deteriorate with time.
But why, they are pressurised?

Paul_A_C
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Paul_A_C » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:00 am

I have found that if aerosol cans are stored for a long period of time, the propellant can leak away, rendering the can useless. I store my cans in the back of the airing cupboard (my wife is a crafts person and understands why 8) ). That keeps the paint comparatively warm and stops the cans going rusty.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:18 am

I have never had a problem with rattle cans leaking, losing pressure or paint deteriorating in all my years of using them, nearly 50 years. They have been in cold garages and hot sheds. The halyards grey primer I use a lot was in the hot shed last summer and the garage this summer as well now in the cold garage and I have used it last on Sunday to prime a Modeltown water tower tank with, (I am not to happy with the tower as a whole). It did the job brilliantly.

So pressurised cans in my opinion and experience don’t go off………..

Unless of course you put them near a fire or something else extreme……….. :lol:

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:30 am

I was taught many years ago to turn the can upside down and give a short squirt before storing for a long time.
This blows propellant up the tube and clears the tube and nozzle of paint which could dry and clog things up.

I don't know if it has any effect, but I still do it out of habit.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:27 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:50 pm
IanC wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:21 pm I've never stored rattle cans for long but it is worth bearing in mind they may deteriorate with time.
I tend to use them up! To get the best out of them I spray in batches so I end up using them to exhaustion in one session. I only use primer in rattle cans. For all my other spraying work I have a compressor and selection of airbrushes which I prefer for control.
Ian

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:59 am

BorisSpencer wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:30 am I was taught many years ago to turn the can upside down and give a short squirt before storing for a long time.
This blows propellant up the tube and clears the tube and nozzle of paint which could dry and clog things up.

I also do this.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:39 pm

IanC wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:27 am
tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:50 pm
I tend to use them up! To get the best out of them I spray in batches so I end up using them to exhaustion in one session. I only use primer in rattle cans. For all my other spraying work I have a compressor and selection of airbrushes which I prefer for control.
You really haven’t answered Tom’s question Ian, that they are pressurised….So they won’t deteriorate….

i think most of us have a compressor for don’t more intricate work, but there are those who can do very good work with just paint brushes, I am not one of them….. :lol: :lol: :lol:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:41 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:59 am
BorisSpencer wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:30 am I was taught many years ago to turn the can upside down and give a short squirt before storing for a long time.

I also do this.
I do as well….

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:20 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:28 pm 1) U-POL etch primer sprayed clumpy despite being brought up to room temperature and shaken well.

2) Halfords clear matt lacquer produced white bits on the paintwork when sprayed so has it expired as well as it is also a few years old and stored in the same garage.
Always worth reading the tech data sheet for paints, which are usually online. The U-POL etch primer TDS states it has a 2 year shelf life. Some etch primer formulations are stable and some react with themselves after a while and form 'lumps'. It seems U-POL is one of the latter.

Matt clear finishes have a matting agent added which is a fine powder, talc is a common one. Left for a long time the fine particles clump together and settle out as a hard layer. When you shake the can the layer breaks up into little white bits which don't fully disperse again. You'd probably get RSI from shaking the can, before you could completely dispersed all the clumped particles again.

Note water vapour can get into an aerosol, although it isn't the cause of Tom's problems. The steel can may be impervious, but the valve parts are plastic and water vapour can diffuse slowly through most plastics, as can gases and some solvent vapours, for that matter.

Regards,
Graeme

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:00 pm

It will take a few years to go (off) though in my experience Graeme

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:09 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:00 pm It will take a few years to go (off) though in my experience Graeme
I've had etch primer go off in 6 months. I don't use that brand anymore.........

Also there's no date stamp on paint, so no way to know how long it has been sitting around in a warehouse and then the shop, before you buy it.

Graeme

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:50 pm

Graeme makes a good point here, the paints I have do not have date stamps so checking the data sheets is what I should of done!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:31 pm

GTB wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:09 pm
FWLR wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:00 pm It will take a few years to go (off) though in my experience Graeme
I've had etch primer go off in 6 months. I don't use that brand anymore.........

Also there's no date stamp on paint, so no way to know how long it has been sitting around in a warehouse and then the shop, before you buy it.

Graeme
You are correct Graeme, so it's a bit immaterial how long it lasts for….Like you say, it could have been in the warehouse for sometime before it gets to the shop and if it’s not a popular colour, well it’s then down to the shop to get rid if it has run out of shelf life…But invariably they don’t….That’s way I have had some paint I have bought some years back (8+) and they are still useable.

So for most of us, we use the paint we buy within a year two, for me thats more than enough time to use it up. You just buy the colour/colours you use the most if you use rattle cans. For airbrushing though, I make the paint up has and when I need it in small batches…