Ffestiniog 'curly roof' brake van

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Ffestiniog 'curly roof' brake van

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:00 pm

Up to now I have resisted (as in avoided) model kits as I have always preferred to scratch-build, however, the curly roof brake seems to be just a little too difficult to take on as a project. I would love to see one on my line and wonder if anyone can offer advice on any kits available and comments about their material and finish qualities?
If anyone has scratch-built one themselves are there any scale drawings available to work from and how did you cope with the build?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Ffestiniog 'curly roof' brake van

Post by JMORG » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:57 pm

The Lineside Hut currently produce a kit; with working sliding doors. Apart from the handrail I think this is pretty much too scale.
IP did produce one, but was "up-scaled" for Roundhouse engines (mainly Taliesin).
Both kits had accurate planking for the roof; pretty straightforward to assemble to be honest if you do it one at a time!
Brandbright also do van 2 (10) if you wanted the converted van.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:58 am

At Llanfair Gala weekend exhibition I had the opportunity to see the Lineside Hut kit (assembled but unfinished) which is very impressive. I was very tempted but it was only available to order which gave me time to think.... A while later in conversation with IP it was mentioned that they will be introducing their own kit later this year so it will be interesting to make a comparison between the two. Either way I will have one by Christmas!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:19 am

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:58 am At Llanfair Gala weekend exhibition I had the opportunity to see the Lineside Hut kit (assembled but unfinished) which is very impressive. I was very tempted but it was only available to order which gave me time to think.... A while later in conversation with IP it was mentioned that they will be introducing their own kit later this year so it will be interesting to make a comparison between the two. Either way I will have one by Christmas!
Oooh, interesting... Did they happen to mention if they'd be introducing other vintage FfR carriages too? I could do with a scale length "bowsider" at some point, although I don't think it would cope with my tight-ish curves...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi Andrew, yes, more coaches are on the list of new kits, although I don't recall which. From what I understand they are working closely with the Ffestiniog to produce a new range. Perhaps an email to IP might answer your question and you might add them to my thread for others to see?

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:35 pm

Speaking to Ivan yesterday; the NWNGR/WHR is definitely expanding with both styles of Pickering brake and the Buffet car (presumably the standard corridor as well).
Not sure about FR stock, never asked.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:51 pm

JMORG wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:35 pm Speaking to Ivan yesterday; the NWNGR/WHR is definitely expanding with both styles of Pickering brake and the Buffet car (presumably the standard corridor as well).
Probably worth waiting for rather than shelling out for the (imperfect) Perfect World kits then? Both of those should go down well I should think... The "corridor" is on my list of things to build, will probably scratchbuild it though (eventually...), to make sure it matches my buffet car...

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:42 pm

JMORG wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:35 pm Speaking to Ivan yesterday; the NWNGR/WHR is definitely expanding with both styles of Pickering brake and the Buffet car (presumably the standard corridor as well).
I suppose this was inevatable, my 10 year quest to build a full NWNG/WHR rake of carriages from scratch was completed last year, with the new kits I could have saved myself a lot of time and probably got models that were more to scale then mine.... ah well :roll:
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:42 am

laalratty wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:42 pm
I suppose this was inevatable, my 10 year quest to build a full NWNG/WHR rake of carriages from scratch was completed last year, with the new kits I could have saved myself a lot of time and probably got models that were more to scale then mine.... ah well :roll:
Hmmm...

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:30 pm

There is a reason mine are not to scale, they were originally built to match my Millie nicely for size (which they do) as I thought there was no way I would ever get correct WHR locos.

I now have a Russell and a Beddgelert.... :roll: :lol:
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:48 pm

I have now received my kit from Lineside Hut for the CRV and what an impressive collection of parts it is too! I will detail the build on my 'Time to build a railway....' thread along with other kit parts purchased from them at the same time.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:30 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:48 pm I have now received my kit from Lineside Hut for the CRV and what an impressive collection of parts it is too! I will detail the build on my 'Time to build a railway....' thread along with other kit parts purchased from them at the same time.
I shall look forward to it!

Andrew