RC Trains controller time delay

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

RC Trains controller time delay

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:07 pm

I guess this question is targeted at Rik although other users might have thoughts on the subject.
First of all I can only praise the RC Trains Deltang system, it is compact, well designed, functional and very cost effective. I have no complaints at all and only just became aware of any difference between mine and Rik's own controller after watching Rik's video about the benefits of RC over track power on his own railway.
In the demonstration Rik shows the ability to switch over from one loco to another, then shows off even further by operating a third.... very brave! In doing so I noticed there is no time delay when powering any of the locos, whereas with mine there is always a short pause while the receiver thinks about doing what it is told.
This can vary from about 5 to possibly 10 seconds. Before watching the video I thought that was perfectly normal.
Do I have anything different to the current system, after all, mine was possibly the first off the production line?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: RC Trains controller time delay

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:20 am

Do you have the inertia dial rotated Peter? It builds in a slight 'delay' to simulate gaining power, and also a gradual slowing when you come to a halt.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:40 pm

I do have the inertia control on the handset but it is set in the 'off' position as I find the manual control perfectly adequate for my needs.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:39 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:40 pm I do have the inertia control on the handset but it is set in the 'off' position as I find the manual control perfectly adequate for my needs.
Likewise, but I thought it worth mentioning. Now where is Rik? :scratch:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:32 am

I have a slight delay when switching between locos but I would think that is normal? I use a mix of Rx102's and Rx65b's.

You may have Rx65a units 'Mr Butler' as they were purchased a while back but what you are experiencing sounds normal although check that your Tx and all Rx batteries are healthy.

If you feel that their is an issue though the new owner of RC Trains is very helpful and will test your Rx's for problems and replace.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:00 pm

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I was out most of yesterday playing trains at John Wenlock's Clwyd & Dee Railway - very interesting experience.

The time delay when switching over from one Rx to another with the Selecta switch is set by default to 1 second. However, each Rx65 can be reprogrammed to have a delay anywhere between 0 and 2 seconds. It shouldn't be 5-10 seconds. That might happen if the 'new' Rx (ie the one on the Selecta channel being switched to) has somehow lost its connection with the Tx and so is having to search for it again. This might happen if the Tx has gone out of range with the 'new' Rx.

The programmed delay is theoretically to allow for the knob to be re-positioned for the new loco. In reality, it's quite difficult to judge the delay - too soon and then 'old' rx responds before the 'new' - too late and the 'new' loco takes on the 'old' settings. This can be particularly tricky if one loco is travelling forward and the other is travelling in reverse. I tend to bring the 'old' loco to a halt before switching over to the 'new'.

Hope that makes sense and answers your question.

Rik

PS - Another thought which has occurred to me is that your Rx65s might be set to 'TX_Change', which theoretically allows you to hand over a loco from one Tx to another. I think some of the early Rx65s I supplied were set by default to Tx-Change. However, I found TX-Change to be a bit unreliable and when I pointed this out to David he then started supplying Rx65s which weren't set to Tx-Change by default.

It is possible to reprogram Rx65s out of Tx-Change with paperclip settings.

Make sure your Tx is turned off
1. On your Rx65, connect P1 and P3 together.
2. Switch the receiver on.
3. Remove the connection.

The led on the receiver will come on solid and flicker:
* once a second if Selecta is disabled.
* twice in 1.5s if Selecta is enabled.
* three times in 2s if Selecta is enabled with Tx_Change.
The setting will increment or wrap each time the procedure is repeated.
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:39 pm

Hi Rik,

Can the time delay be also set on the Rx102's for the Selecta switch?

If so, can this be done using paper clip settings or do you need to have a Prog4 programmer?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:57 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:39 pm Hi Rik,
Can the time delay be also set on the Rx102's for the Selecta switch?
No, Tom, sorry. You can turn Selecta on and off, but not adjust the time delay which I imagine is 1s.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:10 pm

Nevermind, it was only a nice to have.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:17 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:00 pm

Hope that makes sense and answers your question.

Rik

?????????
I'm guessing that was explained in Swahili? I may have some basic skills with my hands but my brain cells left the building many years ago!
For now I will remain content with the controller as is but I will discus with a friend who has some working cells still and is also the proud owner of a RC Trains system, which he purchased on my recommendation.
If his works in the same manner he might also be interested in the 'cure'?