Spoked wheels

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Spoked wheels

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:56 pm

I have always bought Accucraft wheels but I really want to build a wagon with spoked wheels.

Now that I have a set of axle boxes with 2mm journal bearings who do most people use for spoked wheels?

I appreciate all metal wheels might not be an option but I would want metal tyres.

This is for 32mm gauge, 24mm diameter wheels but can go with 30mm as an alternative.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Spoked wheels

Post by GTB » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:52 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:56 pm I have always bought Accucraft wheels but I really want to build a wagon with spoked wheels.
Both Slaters and Tenmille have 24mm dia spoked wheels in 32mm gauge, both brands are plastic centres with metal tyres. Slaters have curly spoke and web spoke centres, Tenmille have split spoke and curly spoke centres.

Never having used either brand, I don't know what the journal sizes are and what they are interchangeable with......

There is a useful discussion, with photos, of available narrow gauge wheels on the Garden Railway Club website.

https://sites.google.com/a/gardenrailwa ... l-profiles

Also, Lez at Walsall Industries can supply his wheel castings machined and has a wide range of types and sizes. The most expensive option I'm afraid, but they are all metal.

I'd also prefer to use metal spoked wheels on rolling stock, but with the materials for disc wheels being a fifth the cost of castings I've only used castings on locos.

Regards,
Graeme

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks Graeme.

Tenmille wheels look good to me and they are 24mm diameter so will enquire. Their catalogue lists some interesting detailing parts but no pictures so I have emailed them.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:34 pm

Tenmill wheels are nice, I have used many sets over the years.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!