Help with track

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Help with track

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:10 am

Look on eBay, you can get some bargains for both locos and track, but you need to be quick.

Jasper_7
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Jasper_7 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:27 am

Looks like I've got an order underway with Mr. Barker. I guess it just took a while for contact.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:29 am

TheTrainGuy wrote: ↑Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:37 pm I know garden railways are expensive, but I would like to keep the r/c locomotive in the budget of Β£130.
Sounds about right

HGLW kit = Β£40
RC Trains Tx10 = Β£39
Deltang /RCT Rx65c (wired) = Β£42
1 x 18650 li ion battery = c Β£5
Total = Β£126

All that's missing is a decent battery charger such as the iMax B6 (c Β£20). There are li-ion chargers which are cheaper, though.

Alternatively, you could buy a cheap r/c car and rip the guts out of it. You can pick up cheapo rc cars for around Β£20. However, some may not work equally well in reverse.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:25 am

Hi Rik,

On the question for the Ii ion batteries, are the ones with the dimple the one s that are needed for most of our battery holders. I have seen on Amazon ( other sites do have them ) that the ones that don’t have the dimple won’t fit….

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:31 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:25 am Hi Rik,

On the question for the Ii ion batteries, are the ones with the dimple the one s that are needed for most of our battery holders. I have seen on Amazon ( other sites do have them ) that the ones that don’t have the dimple won’t fit….
Good question. I am no electronics expert and limit my dabling with electrical things to changing plugs and light bulbs. I have no problem building kits, but no idea where to start adding r/c and with batteries.
Ian

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:52 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:25 am Hi Rik,
Hi Rod
Yes, button-top batteries are better for battery holders. If you are intending to charge li-ion battery packs in situ then you need to get unprotected batteries and add your own protection board externally. However, if you intend taking the batteries out of the holder and charging them separately, then you can get protected batteries. Protected batteries shouldn't be charged in series unless you balance charge them. Li-ion batteries should only be charged with a charger designed specifically for charging li-ion batteries.

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:55 pm

Thanks Rik,

I think I got most of that….. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:00 pm

These are what I am thinking of getting Rik.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:21 am

I have some of those batteries Rik, only thing is, do I need to have battery holders just for them or can I use the normal type. I have a few with switches, as I find they are easy to switch them off than taking the batteries out.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:54 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:21 am I have some of those batteries Rik, only thing is, do I need to have battery holders just for them or can I use the normal type. I have a few with switches, as I find they are easy to switch them off than taking the batteries out.
Hi Rod
It depends on which size batteries you buy. 18650 li ion batteries are considerably larger than AA batteries. 14500 li ions are the same size as AAs.

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:29 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:54 pm
FWLR wrote: ↑Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:21 am I have some of those batteries Rik, only thing is, do I need to have battery holders just for them or can I use the normal type. I have a few with switches, as I find they are easy to switch them off than taking the batteries out.
Hi Rod
It depends on which size batteries you buy. 18650 li ion batteries are considerably larger than AA batteries. 14500 li ions are the same size as AAs.

Rik
Hi Rik,

:roll: :roll: I forgot to show those batteries..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELZO-Rechargea ... on+battery

Never mind, I can get some of the 14500 li ions also. Trouble is now I will need to get a charger for the 18650’s….. :roll:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:46 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:29 am Hi Rik,

:roll: :roll: I forgot to show those batteries..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELZO-Rechargea ... on+battery

Never mind, I can get some of the 14500 li ions also. Trouble is now I will need to get a charger for the 18650’s….. :roll:
Hi Rod
I couldn't get the link to work but if they are 18650s then you will need a charger for them - but you'll also need a charger which can handle li-ions if you do get the 14500s. Whatever you do, don't try charging them in a NiMh or NiCad charger unless your house is well insured against fire.

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:22 am

Hi Rik,

That link won’t work for me either….Oh well.

Thanks for your advice. I will order two chargers now…Luckily I haven’t put my order in yet, so will save on postage, or I might even get them from Amazon and get free postage…Depends on the cheapest.