Apple Green

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Apple Green

Post by FWLR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:59 am

Can anyone tell me where I can get some Apple Green spray paint from please, I have tried Phoenix Paints, but they don’t seem to do Apple Green.

:thumbright: :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Apple Green

Post by FWLR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:27 am

This is the colour I am wanting.
440px-LNER_B1_1306_'Mayflower'_at_Doncaster_Works.JPG
440px-LNER_B1_1306_'Mayflower'_at_Doncaster_Works.JPG (34 KiB) Viewed 3281 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:48 am

As always Rod, Google is your friend! Just search for LNER green paint and you get pages of links. One of which is https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/produc ... nerbigfour
Never search for paint colours by fancy names such as Apple Green, Rose Pink etc, they are meaningless to anyone apart from the person who invented that name to attach to a particular shade of colour.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:58 am

Thanks Phil, :thumbright:

I have Googled for Phoenix and they do Doncaster Green, would that be the colour I need. But then again, Darlington Green is slightly lighter, which I think may be the correct colour.

But if not then a full respray/brush will have to be done me thinks. :lol: :lol:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:14 am

Humbrol rail colours?

Google for their paint match chart.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:15 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:58 am they do Doncaster Green, would that be the colour I need.
No idea if that's what you need, you haven't actually said what you are trying to match!( I'm assuming that you're not trying to paint a full size loco??).
If you are trying to patch an existing model then I'd guess that you are on a hiding to nothing unless you can get some from the original manufacturer, and even then time and wear will have affected the original model so it is still unlikely to be exact.
If it really bothers you, then a full repaint is really the only option.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:32 am

Weather the loco instead, you can then hide any marks with dirt!

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:30 am

philipy wrote: ↑Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:15 am
No idea if that's what you need, you haven't actually said what you are trying to match!( I'm assuming that you're not trying to paint a full size loco??).
If you are trying to patch an existing model then I'd guess that you are on a hiding to nothing unless you can get some from the original manufacturer, and even then time and wear will have affected the original model so it is still unlikely to be exact.
If it really bothers you, then a full repaint is really the only option.
I agree with Philip. I have tried to match the Maroon on my loco without complete success, despite knowing the shade and RAL numbers. Age, dirt, sun, chemicals all change the paint colour over time so exact matching is virtually impossible IMHO.

In steam days, works paint shops used to mix their own paint and could vary from batch to batch. Colour can also be affected by varnish.

Ian
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:39 am

tom_tom_go wrote: ↑Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:32 am Weather the loco instead, you can then hide any marks with dirt!
Thats a brilliant idea Tom.Thank you so much, it has saved me a little bit of money.

It’s for a scratch built battery loco I have bought as a non runner….guess what, after 10 minutes of looking at the wiring, it now runs.