Gradients in 16mm?

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Gradients in 16mm?

Post by GTB » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:57 pm

pandsrowe wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:02 am Well based on the general consensus I'm beginning to think that maybe this is not quite such a good idea, although I will not discount it completely.
The major concern is the very steep grade. If you can work out how to get it down to 1:50, it becomes a feasible proposition.

If the space you have available mandates a 1:20 grade between levels, then you could treat it as an operational feature, rather than a problem.

Battery powered locos aren't particularly affected by steep grades, so one with suitably low gearing and sufficient weight could be stationed on the incline in an operation where the train loco is assisted up and down the incline by a battery loco acting as a banker. Maybe with a couple of momentum wagons disguised as brake vans added to the train as well to help control the descent.

If you dislike battery powered steam locos, then a couple of heavy battery powered diesels with suitable low gearing could be used to control descents and assist climbing the grade as well.

While geared steam locos could also be used as bankers on the steeply graded section to keep things under control, keeping more than one loco in steam when running on your own is not really a practical proposition.

Regards,
Graeme

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Gradients in 16mm?

Post by pandsrowe » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:15 am

I think that I really should carry out some experimenting if only to see what is viable with my locos and rolling stock, Philipy's suggestion of trying gradients using a couple of deck boards is brilliant as I have some 3 - 4 metre lengths of old facia boards hoarded as they "May come in handy one day". As I mentioned earlier, I really must finish some of my other projects first before I embark on anything new, so it may be sometime before I am in any position to decide if this idea is viable.
Phil