Smoothing screws on metal loco roofs

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Smoothing screws on metal loco roofs

Post by big-ted » Tue May 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi all,

My Lady Anne has a couple of screws on the roof that I'd like to make less visible. I'm talking about the screws that hold the battery case to the underside of the roof, and the screws that hold the roof panel to the hinge. I could simply paint over them, but do people fill them with anything to get a smooth finish?

All suggestions appreciated!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Smoothing screws on metal loco roofs

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue May 15, 2018 5:44 pm

I don't like the hinged roof or the battery box under the cab roof that was fitted to my Silver Lady when new so I got a different battery and moved it inside the body in one of the fake water tanks and filled the cab roof holes with milliput.

The roof is now held in place by magnets.

Search 'Steamy Clare' in the forum search for the thread as it was documented on how I went about it.

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Smoothing screws on metal loco roofs

Post by big-ted » Tue May 15, 2018 6:50 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:44 pm I don't like the hinged roof or the battery box under the cab roof that was fitted to my Silver Lady when new so I got a different battery and moved it inside the body in one of the fake water tanks and filled the cab roof holes with milliput.

The roof is now held in place by magnets.

Search 'Steamy Clare' in the forum search for the thread as it was documented on how I went about it.
Hmm. Nice idea. Would also solve the problem of the cab hinge scratching the cab paint where the screws rub...