Glue

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Glue

Post by IanC » Tue May 08, 2018 4:30 pm

Fellow modellers.

I have almost competed two IP Engineering coach kits. These have long since been out of production. One of my few remaining tasks is to add the glazing.

What can anyone suggest I use to secure the glazing with? The glazing is a sheet of clear plastic (not supplied with the kit) and the coach is made from plywood. I don't want to incur the dreaded fogging one gets with many adhesives, but I do want a good, secure bond.

Thanks in advance.

Ian
Ian

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Re: Glue

Post by bazzer42 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:50 pm

If pushed I have used super glue but never with a total success. I keep meaning to buy some canopy glue to see if that would work. If scratch building I try to sandwich glazing between the sides to ease painting and avoid super glue smears!

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue May 08, 2018 5:23 pm

Glue n Glaze works for me - note I have only used it glueing glaze to plastic models but the bumf says its good for using on wood as well - glue dries crystal clear

You can get from various locations including Track Shack onto IOM (great postal service!)

https://www.track-shack.com/acatalog/De ... ckQAvD_BwE
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue May 08, 2018 5:56 pm

bazzer42 wrote: โ†‘Tue May 08, 2018 4:50 pm If pushed I have used super glue but never with a total success. I keep meaning to buy some canopy glue to see if that would work. If scratch building I try to sandwich glazing between the sides to ease painting and avoid super glue smears!
I agree with all the advice given here and have achieved excellent results using canopy glue on a variety of materials.
Last edited by Peter Butler on Tue May 08, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Tue May 08, 2018 6:24 pm

Evode's "Seriously Strong Glue". Available from most hardware shops. It's a clear silicon based product. I use it all the time. Also great for fixing figures and items to locos and stock that you may want to remove at some time in the future with little risk of damaging painted surfaces. No fogging, like cyanoacrylate "super glues" are likely to do and won't react with plastics as it does not work like a solvent. Max

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue May 08, 2018 10:14 pm

Many thanks for the advice.

I think I have some Glue n Glaze somewhere and some spare plywood so I'll experiment on that. If that's not as good as I'd like I'll follow up some of the other suggestions.

All much appreciated.

Ian
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed May 09, 2018 7:13 am

I have used Glue & Glaze also with varying results.Itโ€™s a bit of a lottery with it sometimes.

The stuff Peter and bazzer42 recommend is great stuff, have only used it once though, but it worked brilliantly.

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Wed May 09, 2018 7:31 am

If it's any help I have used Glue n Glaze on ply as well as resin/plastic for around five years, touch wood no failures so far. Oh, I forgot to mention this is all on exterior structures which admittedly are brought indoors for the winter months.
Phil

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 09, 2018 11:31 am

Thanks Phil and Rod.

I'll have a go using Glue n Glaze, simply because I have some! (Yes I'm a cheapskate).

If it's not to my satisfaction I will try one of the other recommendations from those suggested.

The guidance is most helpfull.

Ian
Ian

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Wed May 09, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi.
Yep Glue n Glaze works for me. I always paint my wooden coaches before glazing so I am gluing to painted wood.
Dries invisible. (Except where I put too much on :? )
D.
David T.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 09, 2018 8:50 pm

River Lin wrote: โ†‘Wed May 09, 2018 1:26 pm Hi.
Yep Glue n Glaze works for me. I always paint my wooden coaches before glazing so I am gluing to painted wood.
Dries invisible. (Except where I put too much on :? )
D.
Excellent tip. I never thought of doing that.

Many thanks. My paint brush will be out this weekend.

Ian
Ian