Couplings

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Couplings

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 03, 2018 12:55 pm

You may have seen in my HGLW thread that I've retained LGB couplings on my stock because:
a) they are cheap
b) they are reliable (I do a lot of shunting operations)

However,
c) they are unprotypical
d) they look naff

I've experimented with a range of different couplings but not yet found anything to replace them which are reliable and I can afford (I have around 75 items of rolling stock).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to:
e) ways of improving the appearance of LGB couplings
f) replacements which are as effective but won't require a remortgage of the house?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Couplings

Post by IanC » Thu May 03, 2018 6:01 pm

Rik,

That's a potential can of worms you've opened. :bom: My friend with a OO layout is going through exactly the same issue. Presently his trains operate with 4 or 5 different types of couplings and the jury's still out. :scratch:

I shall watch with interest!

Ian
Ian

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu May 03, 2018 6:44 pm

As you know Rik I use the Accucraft choppers modified with magnets for uncoupling and these look good and are reliable.

Although cost is a concern for you given the amount of rolling stock you have I think these are your best option without having to make something yourself and then being able to produce couplings to the same quality level consistently.

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Thu May 03, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi Rik.
I have fitted Slater's couplings to all my home built WHR bogie stock. They are not quite prototypical but close enough for me. They are middling in the price range at £10 for two that you put together yourself from brass castings. Just a hack saw, file and small hammer needed. They are sprung so look good when starting with a heavy train.
IMG_20180503_184844.jpg
IMG_20180503_184844.jpg (67.6 KiB) Viewed 6729 times
D.
David T.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 03, 2018 10:13 pm

Nice looking couplings, but not sure I can run to the £750 needed to re-equip my stock with them.

Rik
------------------------

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu May 03, 2018 10:38 pm

I had a friend who designed and made his own couplings for OO gauge rolling stock. It was very similar to the LGB style, which to me resembles an inverted Hornby style one. It was adapted with some sort of magnetic counter balance which gave some form of automatic coupling and uncoupling. Being made of wire the pros and cons of your original post are still relevant Rik. However they were cheap and less obtrusive.

It occurs to me you might consider making your own style of LGB couplings which might give you compatability with existing stock while improving the look slightly?

Ian
Ian

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Thu May 03, 2018 10:54 pm

Good point
:lol:
D.
David T.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri May 04, 2018 7:41 am

Do all the stock need changing though or just the locos?

You could then just change a few wagons and they can then have a LGB coupler on one end to connect to existing stock?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 04, 2018 7:59 am

IanC wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:38 pm I had a friend who designed and made his own couplings for OO gauge rolling stock. It was very similar to the LGB style, which to me resembles an inverted Hornby style one. It was adapted with some sort of magnetic counter balance which gave some form of automatic coupling and uncoupling. Being made of wire the pros and cons of your original post are still relevant Rik. However they were cheap and less obtrusive.

It occurs to me you might consider making your own style of LGB couplings which might give you compatability with existing stock while improving the look slightly?

Ian
Sounds interesting, Ian. The great advantage of the LGB coupling is being able to push long rakes without the risk of buffer lock. Just trying to figure out if that could be replicated with a smaller profile wire version.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 04, 2018 8:06 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:41 am Do all the stock need changing though or just the locos?

You could then just change a few wagons and they can then have a LGB coupler on one end to connect to existing stock?
Eventually, I'd like to convert all stock. I suppose one advantage of making an LGB compatible alternative is that I could do the replacements gradually.

Thinking-cap on ......... If I could somehow widen a centre buffer so they wouldn't lock when being pushed, then the hook and loop could become less obtrusive as they would only be used for pulling.

I think we're on to something.

Rik
------------------------

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri May 04, 2018 8:36 am

ge_rik wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:59 am
IanC wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:38 pm I had a friend who designed and made his own couplings for OO gauge rolling stock. It was very similar to the LGB style, which to me resembles an inverted Hornby style one. It was adapted with some sort of magnetic counter balance which gave some form of automatic coupling and uncoupling. Being made of wire the pros and cons of your original post are still relevant Rik. However they were cheap and less obtrusive.

Ian
Sounds interesting, Ian. The great advantage of the LGB coupling is being able to push long rakes without the risk of buffer lock. Just trying to figure out if that could be replicated with a smaller profile wire version.

Rik
Rik,

Yes, from memory the train was uncoupled over a magnet, then the coupling was designed in such a way that the wagons could then be propelled without re-coupling.

If you like I'll try and contact him to get the design details.

Ian
Ian

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri May 04, 2018 9:54 am

If you are going to play about with magnetic uncoupling use neodymium magnets, they are the nuts!

Hard drives have these types of magnets in them if you have any not being used.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri May 04, 2018 10:42 am

An inverted version of the Slaters one but with the 'body' members slghtly wider apart to allow some sideplay for the hook, wouldn't be difficult to knock up and you could then make the face of the buffer as wide as you need to prevent buffer lock.

Edited to add: There is a beastie called a Dingham Coupler. I admit that I've no experience of it but it might help either directly or simply to give you ideas.
http://www.dingham.co.uk/7mm_coupler.htm
Philip

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri May 04, 2018 11:36 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:54 am If you are going to play about with magnetic uncoupling use neodymium magnets, they are the nuts!

Hard drives have these types of magnets in them if you have any not being used.
Yes. I'd recommend the neodymium magnets too for magnetic uncoupling.

Ian
Ian

11thHour
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by 11thHour » Fri May 04, 2018 12:54 pm

philipy wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:42 am Edited to add: There is a beastie called a Dingham Coupler. I admit that I've no experience of it but it might help either directly or simply to give you ideas.
But ou will need buffers to propel!
Tim

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 04, 2018 2:40 pm

philipy wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:42 am An inverted version of the Slaters one but with the 'body' members slghtly wider apart to allow some sideplay for the hook, wouldn't be difficult to knock up and you could then make the face of the buffer as wide as you need to prevent buffer lock.

Edited to add: There is a beastie called a Dingham Coupler. I admit that I've no experience of it but it might help either directly or simply to give you ideas.
They're very neat and quite cheap. Only problem is that I have a reverse loop on my railway which I use from time to time and so some stock would end up the wrong way round. Pity, I like the delay option for uncoupling.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 12, 2018 3:30 pm

I've been doing some experiments and made some progress on developing my own couplings. I decided that the easiest approach was to produce something which would be a direct replacement for LGB couplings - so same dimensions and same single screw fixing. At the moment, they are very much prototypes - I've ordered some brass rod/wire and more brass plate - oh and some chemical blackening solution.

At the moment, just a couple of paper-clips soldered to a bit of bent-up brass. I'll improve the fixing pedestal as well.
IMG_7561.JPG
IMG_7561.JPG (110.1 KiB) Viewed 5755 times
The hooks engage in the same way as the original LGB versions.
IMG_7558.JPG
IMG_7558.JPG (129.03 KiB) Viewed 5755 times
When pushing, the Binnie Carmarthen couplings bear against each other. I've checked them over the sharpest curves and there's no buffer lock.
IMG_7559.JPG
IMG_7559.JPG (118.51 KiB) Viewed 5755 times
The beauty of this coupling is that it is compatible with LGB coupings and so I can replace them over a period of time and run original and new couplings together.
IMG_7563.JPG
IMG_7563.JPG (121.97 KiB) Viewed 5755 times
I'll post more info once I've made up some 'proper' versions.

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat May 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Agree with blackening these using chemicals rather than painting as it will not last.

I don't see how these uncouple though without having to bend the wire down?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 12, 2018 4:33 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 3:34 pm I don't see how these uncouple though without having to bend the wire down?
Yes, that's right. I'm using the springiness of the wire to provide the auto coupling effect and then pressing the hooks down to uncouple. Same principle as LGB couplings. That's why the hook is soldered further back than the loop.

Rik
------------------------

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:55 pm

Having said keep the lgb coupling they look quite clumsy against your home made version. With blackening they will virtually disappear, clever!