IP wagon scale

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

IP wagon scale

Post by JMORG » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi all,
I'm currently looking at getting some NWNGR/WHR wagons for our growing collection of WHR stock (Fairlie, Baldwin and eventually Welsh Pony).
Looking at both the IP kits and the Bernard Rockett book seems to show quite a large discrepancy in regards to dimensions; IP apparently use J. C. Boyd's notes, although I am well aware of the errors Boyd unfortunately used to make in his books.
If any WHR fanatics are able to help that would be great!

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Re: IP wagon scale

Post by River Lin » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi.
I draw out my own plans for making my NWNG stock. One method I use is to find a photo of an end view. Using the rail gauge as 2 foot I can work out the width and height and other details. From a side view photo, if I know the height I can work out the length and window and door dimensions etc.
D.
David T.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:17 pm

Cheers David,
Trouble is, some of the WHR vans are quite camera shy. I'd rather not use the current replica's on the WHHR due to them being modified from ex RNAD wagons.
The brake vans in particular are what I am after.

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Thu May 03, 2018 8:09 pm

Hi.
If you can get yourself a copy of 'Wheelers Day' published by the Welsh Highland Heritage Group you will see some superb shots of WHR goods stock between pages 46 - 50 taken in situ in 1935 including brake van number 2. No sizes I'm afraid though.
I am currently in the process of sorting out plans to build this van but one has to be careful about information you find. I am using the 'Rockett' book as inspiration where this Wheeler photo of No 2 is also reproduced but have noticed that he, or his publisher has labelled the end views incorrectly. No2 does not have vertical wooden framing between the windows as is shown by the Wheeler photo.
As far as sizes are concerned, Rockettes states van No2 as 10ft 3in long and 5ft 9in wide whereas Boyd gives approx. 11ft long by 5ft wide.
Now I appreciate authors try to be as accurate as they can to help modellers like ourselves but we also have to make our own decisions. Neither of the two old brake vans escaped the flames to remove the scrap ironwork so it is up to us to interpret as we think fit. If my version is slightly different in size to someone else's it doesn't matter. We will both have had the satisfaction of doing what we enjoy to produce a lovely model.
D.
David T.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Thu May 03, 2018 10:41 pm

If my version is slightly different in size to someone else's it doesn't matter.
Well put David, basically just show's I'm being too much of an anorak and I should just get on with it!

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri May 04, 2018 8:38 am

JMORG wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:41 pm
If my version is slightly different in size to someone else's it doesn't matter.
Well put David, basically just show's I'm being too much of an anorak and I should just get on with it!
Does Rule 1 apply? It's your railway? If the definitive answer isn't public, who's going to tell you your wagons are wrong?

Press on with your build I'd say.

Ian
Ian