Overhead belt pulley wheels

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
philipy

Re: Overhead belt pulley wheels

Post by philipy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:07 pm

Rik,
A slight tangent, but this might have some helpful detail for you.

http://www.combemill.co.uk/wp-content/u ... nes_v1.pdf
Philip

metalmuncher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by metalmuncher » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:57 pm

Mostly as an exercise in learning CAD, I've drawn up a parametric pulley in Autodesk Fusion 360.

The model is only for half a pulley, you would need two 3d prints to make a complete pulley, but this way avoids overhangs. It does have a crown and draft angles so I guess in theory it could be used as a pattern for casting too.

Pretty much everything is a parameter that can be changed and the model automatically rebuilds with the new dimensions:
params.PNG
params.PNG (90.02 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
So by default you get a 6 spoke 25mm dia pulley:
6spoke25mm.PNG
6spoke25mm.PNG (162.13 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
IMG_20180307_180655.jpg
IMG_20180307_180655.jpg (52.3 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
But by changing a few numbers you can get an 8 spoke 35mm, or whatever you want. Just have to be a bit careful in allowing enough room for the fillets between spokes.
8spoke35mm.PNG
8spoke35mm.PNG (176.24 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
You can download the fusion 360 file and an .stl for the 6 spoke 25mm one here. Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists and small companies, but is a bit of a hassle to set up with logins and such, so if anyone wants a couple of .stl files exporting so they can print one themselves or send off to another company, just give me the dimensions and I'll send an .stl over. :)

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:22 am

ge_rik wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:53 pm My apologies to our antipodean bretheren. No slur intended.
"She'll be right Mate!" we'll forgive you. I can't seem to find me hat with the little corks on strings around it. or I'd be wearing it now. :lol: ;)
Grant.
PS had no idea Mamod flywheels cost that much :shock:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:00 am

metalmuncher wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:57 pm Mostly as an exercise in learning CAD, I've drawn up a parametric pulley in Autodesk Fusion 360.

The model is only for half a pulley, you would need two 3d prints to make a complete pulley, but this way avoids overhangs. It does have a crown and draft angles so I guess in theory it could be used as a pattern for casting too.

Pretty much everything is a parameter that can be changed and the model automatically rebuilds with the new dimensions:
params.PNG

So by default you get a 6 spoke 25mm dia pulley:
6spoke25mm.PNG
IMG_20180307_180655.jpg

But by changing a few numbers you can get an 8 spoke 35mm, or whatever you want. Just have to be a bit careful in allowing enough room for the fillets between spokes.
8spoke35mm.PNG

You can download the fusion 360 file and an .stl for the 6 spoke 25mm one here. Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists and small companies, but is a bit of a hassle to set up with logins and such, so if anyone wants a couple of .stl files exporting so they can print one themselves or send off to another company, just give me the dimensions and I'll send an .stl over. :)
Blimey, that's good. Philipy has offered to print them for me, I just need to work out what sizes I need.

I'll echo what Rod and I have said previously. The folk who frequent this forum are the best (in the world, it would seem - North or South of the equator - East or West of the Atlantic!).

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:18 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:00 am North or South of the equator - East or West of the Atlantic!)
Down here in Australia, that's what's known as "covering your a??e.
Good on you Rik.
Grant.
PS what a terrific link posted by Philip, shall file that away.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:52 am

philipy wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:07 pm Rik,
A slight tangent, but this might have some helpful detail for you.

http://www.combemill.co.uk/wp-content/u ... nes_v1.pdf
Not off tangent at all - that's brilliant. Really helpful in giving me an idea of the relative sizes of pulleys on the ine shaft.
Thanks. Combe Mill is defintely on my list of must-visit places! I love visiting places like that (much more interesting than churches or stately homes).

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:53 am

LNR wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:18 am
ge_rik wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:00 am North or South of the equator - East or West of the Atlantic!)
Down here in Australia, that's what's known as "covering your a??e.
Guilty as charged ....... :|
I'll stop digging now ;)

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:59 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:53 am
I'll stop digging now ;)
or should that be "Digger-ing"?? ( Ducks and runs...)
Philip

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:05 pm

I have lots of leftover pieces of matt black perspex 3mm thick. If you pay the postage I'd be happy to cut some parts for your. Sandwiched together they would then be 9mm wide or 15mm if two more rings are added. I you let me know the bore, outside diameter, number of spokes and spoke shape (straight or curved) I'll see what I can come up with.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:05 pm I have lots of leftover pieces of matt black perspex 3mm thick. If you pay the postage I'd be happy to cut some parts for your. Sandwiched together they would then be 9mm wide or 15mm if two more rings are added. I you let me know the bore, outside diameter, number of spokes and spoke shape (straight or curved) I'll see what I can come up with.
That's very kind of you. Philipy has offered to 3D print some for me but he's not sure yet how they might turn out. I might get back to you if the 3D printing doesn't work out.

Rik
------------------------