Been offered one for £350, worth it?

MD65.jpg
MD65.jpg (108.38 KiB) Viewed 8332 times

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Hobbymat MD65

Post by pandsrowe » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 am

I would say that is a fairly reasonable price to pay, depending on any wear and what equipment comes with it ie. chucks, centres, toolholders/bits etc. From the photo it looks as if it has been cared for but appearances can be deceptive, check for any excessive play in the headsgock bearings and also excessive play on the saddle and cross slide and of course the top slide but as the top slide usually gets the least amount of use, it will probably be OK. If possible try it out under power doing a bit of turning, this is more than likely to show up any short comings.
Let us know how you get on.
Phil

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:38 pm

I would agree with Phil, if it all check out then that is not a bad price. At least with a Hobbymat you can get spares and accessories with out any bother.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Only thing is I know jack about how to operate one of these so is it worth It?

Can you learn enough on the web plus trail and error?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:46 pm

There is a good book out called the Amateurs Lathe. I forget who wrote it, it is dated but the basis of lathe work is explained well.
I taught myself and since have been shown by others how to do things correctly in areas I was deficient in.
I am sure that help is available from members on here.

Go for it.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:30 pm

Tom, I know nothing about lathes, although I do have access to one here at home and I have yet to find a use for it.
First thing to ask yourself is whether you will use it?
Secondly, where will you use it? I do know from previous exchanges, your kitchen table is definitely out of bounds!
Other than that, would it be more economical to buy, or have made, any parts you might need, after all, this offer might not include all the extra bits and pieces which could turn a bargain into a money pit.
If you do go ahead I wish you every success with it.... I might end up asking you to make something for me.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:37 pm

I do acknowledge all you say Peter but I feel I want to be able to make the things I need for my railway and do it 'my way'. I am like this in my work life, not reliant on 3rd parties so why can't I be the same in my hobby?

For example, I want to make my own drain cocks for my coal fired loco because no one else makes them for Roundhouse locos.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 pm

OK Tom, understood, so perhaps with that in mind, perhaps some experienced lathe owners and users can offer advice on whether that particular lathe is capable of doing the job and if they think it is within the capabilities of a novice?
There are some superb engineers on this Forum who should easily answer this for you.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:28 am

Not to discourage by any means, but as long as you realize that a lathe is the thin end of the wedge, and only as good as the equipment you have for it.
To make your drain cocks as an example, first you will need brass stock, round and hex can be handy, you will need drills, a standard set may do, but metric or number drills are far better. Also various taps and dies, and to drill and tap in the lathe you will need a tailstock chuck and a die holder. The first can be bought, the second can be made if you have the stock. A drill stand becomes almost manditory, your moving into a higher element of accuracy, if holes aren't drilled square things go pear shaped very quickly.
You can get away with a simple lathe and a file, but human nature being what it is, an easier way of doing something leads us down that path, and it only requires money! (well knowledge too)
As a side note, I bought my first lathe with basically no attachments, I made patterns, had things cast, and machined things myself. It took ages and was a steep learning curve. The only thing I had made at school on a lathe was a centre punch (made a mess of that too).
Perhaps investigate prices of a set of number drills, model engineer taps and dies (at least 3/16th. x 40 -1/4" x40, and that won't get you far) a tailstock chuck ( the lathe may have one if your lucky) and some tool steel. You may realize why buying engineered items is so expensive.
If you go ahead I do wish you every success though.
Grant.

DG
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DG » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:46 am

Tom,

I am in a similar position. We have a lathe coming our way in the coming months, a donation from a relative. I have never used one before and I never did metalwaork at school all those years ago but I am very excited about what I may be able to make. I have bought a couple of books and I have started the steep learning curve. In the last couple of weeks I have tapped my first thread and rivetted my first rivet. I am learning alot by my mistakes at the moment as I do things. I think the biggest thing I am learning is to be patient, I am used to fast progress and instant gratification putting kits together etc but I have to keep telling myself to slow down!

Dave

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:40 am

Another source of good advice and instruction is your local model engineering society. I have found both groups that I have been involved in very helpful and forthcoming with knowledge and support.

If it doesn't work out and you find that it is not getting the use you thought, you won't have any trouble flogging it on.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Thanks for all the advice.

I think for now I will give this a miss so if anyone is willing help make some drain cocks for me please PM.

pskipper
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pskipper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:25 pm

I've a little experience from school and working a bit on lathes over the last 4 months. I've recently got comfortable enough to buy a new one (£750 for absolutely everything that I'll need except a dial gauge) and think you are right to wait. Unless there were extras to the one you were looking at it's missing a decent tool post at the very least.

I'm sure others will add to this list but off the top of my head with a second hand lathe you need to check that the bed way isn't warped (the bit the compound rest and tool holder moves along) and that when you move the tool holder along the bed way and 'in and out' that there is very little slack in the movement as this will result in errors in the work. Again, I'll point out that I'm not the most experienced person and if I've got this wrong won't take offense if anyone corrects me.

quarryhunsletman
New User
New User

Post by quarryhunsletman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:18 pm

I owned one of these for about four years. They are excellent little machines. I built 10 sixteen mm locos on it plus many other things. The tool post on the photo is what it came with and is actually very useful as you can position the tool at any angle. QCTP for these machines are no longer available but I didn't really miss one after a while, when they appear on ebay the go for silly money. One useful thing is that these lathes are usually metric.

As to the one in the picture unless it comes with the other set of chuck jaws, change wheels, centres, the smaller drill chuck, face plate, angle plate and the four jaw chuck it is a bit dear. It is the older model (they changed the controls to red and green push switches with a separate reverse) The slow speed modification is also important, otherwise it runs too fast to knurl. This was an aftermarket modification sold by Essel Engineering.

Given it still has its chuck guard and the cover for the nuts that hold the chuck, plus the decent condition it looks like it hasn't had a lot of use.

You are never going to take big cuts with it as it isn't very stiff but little by little still works. If you can get the separate milling head or buy them both together you have a very useful set up for not a huge investment. I sold mine for £500 with all the bits. There is lots of useful information on this website http://www.lathes.co.uk/.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:30 pm

Thanks for all the extra info, good to know should I consider this again in the future.