Deltang rx

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Big Jim

Deltang rx

Post by Big Jim » Sat May 06, 2017 1:09 pm

I want to radio control an IP Engineering simplex.
Has anyone successfully used 2 rechargeable aaa batteries with a deltang receiver? I wonder if the combined voltage of 2.4v will be slightly too low?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Deltang rx

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat May 06, 2017 4:39 pm

I take it you are using a Rx65b?

If so, 3v will be fine but you will need 2 x 1.5v batteries.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon May 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Is it possible to fit anything even slightly wider than AAAs under it? If not, how about an 10440 Li ion or two (3.7v so should be ok).

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon May 08, 2017 4:58 pm

I have had a look at Li ion batteries, but they worry me ever so slightly regarding the need for careful charging and the like.

I think I am trying to have my cake and eat it regarding the power source as I want a good amperage for length of run and a suitably high voltage.

I think I can cram in 4 AAA's Nimh in series which will give 4.8v but only 850mAh or I could go down the route of a pair of 10440 in parallel which will give 3.7v and around 1300mAh which sounds better but I am not overly sure about the batteries themselves, do they need additional protection or not?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon May 08, 2017 7:45 pm

I should add that I think the batteries will have to go in as a pemenant fixture, so they would need to charge in situe. It is at this point I get confused as I know you have to be very careful when charging them.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Hi Jim
Deltang receivers were developed to run off li-ion batteries and so offer some protection against over-discharge by default. You could buy 10440 li-ions with built-in protection from eBay but some of the 'bargains' on there tend to be lower quality (and hence higher risk). I'd be inclined to go for a couple of tabbed 10440s from Ecolux - eg https://ecoluxshopdirect.co.uk/hq-ecolu ... tag-s.html - as you can be sure of the quality of his batteries. You'd need to buy a 1S protection board such as - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151964194269 - but it would be dead easy to wire up and would give you plenty of protection. I would recommend a decent intelligent charger though, such as the iMax B6 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132059016298. It can be a bit intimidating when first out of the box (the instructions are largely incomprehensible), but once it's set up (I could help you with that), it's a doddle to use - and gives peace of mind that the charging will be done safely.

BTW - I power my IP Simplex with two AA sized li-ions (14500) wired in parallel - again from Ecolux. It's a tight squeeze but possible - and they give a longer running time than AAAs. More info on my blog - https://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2015 ... mplex.html . I even managed to squeeze a couple of (very cheap) soundcards under the bonnet)
IMG_9567.JPG
IMG_9567.JPG (73.2 KiB) Viewed 5979 times
Rik
PS - I haven't included a protection board in my simplex. I rely on the Deltang Rx to protect against over discharge, a fuse to protect against short circuits and the iMax B6 to protect against over-charging.
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon May 08, 2017 9:22 pm

Hello Rik, I was hoping you would reply. I have read your blog and I was impressed with what you have done.

Thanks for the advice. I think i will do as you have done and go for the larger batteries.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 08, 2017 9:30 pm

Big Jim wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:22 pm Hello Rik, I was hoping you would reply. I have read your blog and I was impressed with what you have done.

Thanks for the advice. I think i will do as you have done and go for the larger batteries.
Hi Jim
If you need any further help or info, drop me a line.

Rik
------------------------

DG
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DG » Wed May 10, 2017 6:17 am

Hi Jim,

you can also get 1.6V rechargeable batteries which gives a slight increase in the voltage available. They are expensive but don't need the charging protection as far as I know. Not sure if there are cheaper places to get them but Maplins and Amazon sell them. I have only been using them for a couple of months so can't yet attest to their durability. Dave

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat May 13, 2017 9:00 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 8:24 pm Hi Jim
... I would recommend a decent intelligent charger though, such as the iMax B6 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132059016298. It can be a bit intimidating when first out of the box (the instructions are largely incomprehensible), but once it's set up (I could help you with that), it's a doddle to use - and gives peace of mind that the charging will be done safely...
Ge_Rik, I'm sure there are many of us who would appreciate an idiots guide to using the iMax B6 - I know that I would!! :shock: No pressure, mind :lol:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Jbs
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Jbs » Sat May 13, 2017 9:52 am

" Lonsdaler » Sat May 13, 2017 8:00 am
Ge_Rik, I'm sure there are many of us who would appreciate an idiots guide to using the iMax B6 - I know that I would!! :shock: No pressure, mind :lol:"
Ge-Rik,

I certainly would. I have had one for a while but find I am still using my dedicated plug in chargers.
Regards,

John Smith

Harrogate

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 13, 2017 10:03 am

Jbs wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 9:52 am " Lonsdaler » Sat May 13, 2017 8:00 am
Ge_Rik, I'm sure there are many of us who would appreciate an idiots guide to using the iMax B6 - I know that I would!! :shock: No pressure, mind :lol:"

Ge-Rik,

I certainly would. I have had one for a while but find I am still using my dedicated plug in chargers.
Now there's a challenge! I'll give it a go.
Rik
------------------------

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat May 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Yes please Rik,

I have one on order and it looks horribly complicated.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat May 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Big Jim wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 1:31 pm Yes please Rik,

I have one on order and it looks horribly complicated.
I have one and although I have to fight my way through the instructions every time I use it, and I switch it on with my heart in my mouth each time, in reality it isn't quite as bad as it looks. It's rather like a smart phone, it does countless things you won't ever want, but once you find out how to make a phone call and ignore the rest, it's OK.

Having said that, I'd welcome an idiots guide as well, because I might find that it does useful things that I didn't know about!
Philip

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon May 15, 2017 4:13 pm

My b6 arrived today. Looks very posh, I think i might need a stiff drink to tackle the instructions though.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 17, 2017 4:23 pm

I've now blogged a starter guide to using the iMax B6 charger and started a separate thread - http://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 279aec0ef1

Hope it helps

Rik
------------------------

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed May 17, 2017 11:45 pm

Thanks Rik.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue May 23, 2017 11:29 pm

As Jim says, thanks Rik. I'm still going to have to find some quiet time to digest it, I think, but certainly more helpful than the less than informative instruction sheet :lol:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077