Deltang rx

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Big Jim

Deltang rx

Post by Big Jim » Sat May 06, 2017 1:09 pm

I want to radio control an IP Engineering simplex.
Has anyone successfully used 2 rechargeable aaa batteries with a deltang receiver? I wonder if the combined voltage of 2.4v will be slightly too low?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Deltang rx

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat May 06, 2017 4:39 pm

I take it you are using a Rx65b?

If so, 3v will be fine but you will need 2 x 1.5v batteries.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon May 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Is it possible to fit anything even slightly wider than AAAs under it? If not, how about an 10440 Li ion or two (3.7v so should be ok).
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon May 08, 2017 4:58 pm

I have had a look at Li ion batteries, but they worry me ever so slightly regarding the need for careful charging and the like.

I think I am trying to have my cake and eat it regarding the power source as I want a good amperage for length of run and a suitably high voltage.

I think I can cram in 4 AAA's Nimh in series which will give 4.8v but only 850mAh or I could go down the route of a pair of 10440 in parallel which will give 3.7v and around 1300mAh which sounds better but I am not overly sure about the batteries themselves, do they need additional protection or not?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon May 08, 2017 7:45 pm

I should add that I think the batteries will have to go in as a pemenant fixture, so they would need to charge in situe. It is at this point I get confused as I know you have to be very careful when charging them.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Hi Jim
Deltang receivers were developed to run off li-ion batteries and so offer some protection against over-discharge by default. You could buy 10440 li-ions with built-in protection from eBay but some of the 'bargains' on there tend to be lower quality (and hence higher risk). I'd be inclined to go for a couple of tabbed 10440s from Ecolux - eg https://ecoluxshopdirect.co.uk/hq-ecolu ... tag-s.html - as you can be sure of the quality of his batteries. You'd need to buy a 1S protection board such as - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151964194269 - but it would be dead easy to wire up and would give you plenty of protection. I would recommend a decent intelligent charger though, such as the iMax B6 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132059016298. It can be a bit intimidating when first out of the box (the instructions are largely incomprehensible), but once it's set up (I could help you with that), it's a doddle to use - and gives peace of mind that the charging will be done safely.

BTW - I power my IP Simplex with two AA sized li-ions (14500) wired in parallel - again from Ecolux. It's a tight squeeze but possible - and they give a longer running time than AAAs. More info on my blog - https://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2015 ... mplex.html . I even managed to squeeze a couple of (very cheap) soundcards under the bonnet)
IMG_9567.JPG
IMG_9567.JPG (73.2 KiB) Viewed 5982 times
Rik
PS - I haven't included a protection board in my simplex. I rely on the Deltang Rx to protect against over discharge, a fuse to protect against short circuits and the iMax B6 to protect against over-charging.
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon May 08, 2017 9:22 pm

Hello Rik, I was hoping you would reply. I have read your blog and I was impressed with what you have done.

Thanks for the advice. I think i will do as you have done and go for the larger batteries.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 08, 2017 9:30 pm

Big Jim wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:22 pm Hello Rik, I was hoping you would reply. I have read your blog and I was impressed with what you have done.

Thanks for the advice. I think i will do as you have done and go for the larger batteries.
Hi Jim
If you need any further help or info, drop me a line.

Rik
------------------------

DG
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DG » Wed May 10, 2017 6:17 am

Hi Jim,

you can also get 1.6V rechargeable batteries which gives a slight increase in the voltage available. They are expensive but don't need the charging protection as far as I know. Not sure if there are cheaper places to get them but Maplins and Amazon sell them. I have only been using them for a couple of months so can't yet attest to their durability. Dave

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat May 13, 2017 9:00 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 8:24 pm Hi Jim
... I would recommend a decent intelligent charger though, such as the iMax B6 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132059016298. It can be a bit intimidating when first out of the box (the instructions are largely incomprehensible), but once it's set up (I could help you with that), it's a doddle to use - and gives peace of mind that the charging will be done safely...
Ge_Rik, I'm sure there are many of us who would appreciate an idiots guide to using the iMax B6 - I know that I would!! :shock: No pressure, mind :lol:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Jbs
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Jbs » Sat May 13, 2017 9:52 am

" Lonsdaler » Sat May 13, 2017 8:00 am
Ge_Rik, I'm sure there are many of us who would appreciate an idiots guide to using the iMax B6 - I know that I would!! :shock: No pressure, mind :lol:"
Ge-Rik,

I certainly would. I have had one for a while but find I am still using my dedicated plug in chargers.
Regards,

John Smith

Harrogate

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 13, 2017 10:03 am

Jbs wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 9:52 am " Lonsdaler » Sat May 13, 2017 8:00 am
Ge_Rik, I'm sure there are many of us who would appreciate an idiots guide to using the iMax B6 - I know that I would!! :shock: No pressure, mind :lol:"

Ge-Rik,

I certainly would. I have had one for a while but find I am still using my dedicated plug in chargers.
Now there's a challenge! I'll give it a go.
Rik
------------------------

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat May 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Yes please Rik,

I have one on order and it looks horribly complicated.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat May 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Big Jim wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 1:31 pm Yes please Rik,

I have one on order and it looks horribly complicated.
I have one and although I have to fight my way through the instructions every time I use it, and I switch it on with my heart in my mouth each time, in reality it isn't quite as bad as it looks. It's rather like a smart phone, it does countless things you won't ever want, but once you find out how to make a phone call and ignore the rest, it's OK.

Having said that, I'd welcome an idiots guide as well, because I might find that it does useful things that I didn't know about!
Philip

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon May 15, 2017 4:13 pm

My b6 arrived today. Looks very posh, I think i might need a stiff drink to tackle the instructions though.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 17, 2017 4:23 pm

I've now blogged a starter guide to using the iMax B6 charger and started a separate thread - http://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 279aec0ef1

Hope it helps

Rik
------------------------

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed May 17, 2017 11:45 pm

Thanks Rik.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue May 23, 2017 11:29 pm

As Jim says, thanks Rik. I'm still going to have to find some quiet time to digest it, I think, but certainly more helpful than the less than informative instruction sheet :lol:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077