Plans for a couple of loco's

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
pskipper
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Plans for a couple of loco's

Post by pskipper » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:53 pm

Does anyone have plans/drawings for Bacillus (Hudswell Clarke)
and Microbe (Hunslet)
from the Knostrop Sewage works. I've spent the last few years studying microbiology so scratch building them for the garden railway is quite appealing :)

Thanks,

Philip

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:57 pm

interesting looking locos, would you be able to use roundhouse valve gear?
Steam is highly under rated

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Killian Keane » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Have you tried the online archive of the national railway museum? The actual drawings are not available online but I think you might be able to get hold of a photocopy from them
Blokes with tea can build anything

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:20 pm

I love these little locos - being a winding twisty line, the CHLR positively gets excited by small locos.

Look quite similar to the locos used on the Rye & Camber tramway - albeit they were supplied by Bagnall but they are very much 'of the moment'.

Its a real shame one of these hasn't been made as a RTR or a kit (unless you know differently- I'd be at the front of the Q!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

spooner
Fireman
Fireman

Post by spooner » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:31 pm

I know a chap who made a MICROBE out of a Mamod. Sadly he died a few years ago so I cannot ask him about it.
Ian
WLR

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Plans for a couple of loco's

Post by GTB » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:16 am

pskipper:123252 wrote:Does anyone have plans/drawings for Bacillus (Hudswell Clarke) and Microbe (Hunslet)
Not sure where the Hunslet Engine Co.archive is currently located. Hunslet took over Hudswell Clarke, so HC drawings will be wherever the HEC ones are located.

Microbe is about the same size as a Hunslet Waril class, so you'd be looking at 7/8" scale to build it from Roundhouse parts, if you wanted a live steamer.

While a builders G/A is useful, if you aren't hung up on attaining absolute accuracy, knowing a few dimensions means you can come up with a sketch plan from photos.

The Hunslet builders photo you have is near enough to dead side on and there are articles around on how to use the projection method of correcting for the photo parallax. I built my Fowler 0-4-2T from a builders photo., catalogue dimensions and a couple of photos of it in service.

looking through my library, the Plateway Press reprint of Hunslet catalogue sheets quotes some dimensions for Microbe. It was 8' 2 1/4" to top of chimney, 5' 7 1/2" over cylinders, with a rigid wheelbase of 4'.

Can't find anything on Bacillus, but it would likely have been the same height. The photo needs more correction than the Hunslet one though.

Regards,
Graeme

spooner
Fireman
Fireman

Post by spooner » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:05 am

For drawings get in touch with Andrew Neale . He has a web site.
Ian
WLR

pskipper
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pskipper » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:37 pm

Thanks for all the replies, especially the measurements for Microbe. I've had a go at warping the Bacillus picture so that it is closer to a side on view and assuming a 4 foot wheel base the loco comes out at 8'6" so I'm probably not too far out :) I've also found a small picture of Bacillus in 3/4 view so have front details too.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:12 am

pskipper:123299 wrote:I've also found a small picture of Bacillus in 3/4 view so have front details too.
presumably Hudson's supplied the railway these locos ran on as Microbe features in a couple of photos in the recent reprint of the 1915 Hudson catalogue. Still available from the Narrow Gauge Railway Society.

The photos show it with a train of tip wagons, from a front 3/4 view, so the smokebox and cab front details are on view.

Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:55 pm

GTB:123293 wrote: Not sure where the Hunslet Engine Co.archive is currently located. Hunslet took over Hudswell Clarke, so HC drawings will be wherever the HEC ones are located.
Maybe they are now housed at Statfold Barn - http://www.statfoldbarnrailway.co.uk/hu ... ection.php

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:58 pm

The top most engine reminds me of a Merlin Mayflower in styling. Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

LakeshoreMike
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by LakeshoreMike » Sat May 06, 2017 9:42 am

Hi Philip.

Statfold do hold the Hudswell Clark drawings, or at least,those that still exist. Give them a call and ask for the Hunslet Archive.
They supplied me with 4 Drawings for w/no.1172 Alpha.

More directly helpful, years ago, Tom Cooper published an article by Don Townley about Microbe. I have scans of the drawings and will try to pm them to you over the next couple of days.They are on the desktop computer and I'm sending this from my tablet!

Mike

pskipper
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pskipper » Sat May 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Thank you, that is very helpful :)

I met Tom Cooper when I was young, we were on a family holiday in Wales and from a slightly old advert tracked down what we thought was the Merlin shop. Embarrassingly it was shortly after he had, in his own words, had the company stolen from him. He was a real gent and invited us in for a cup of tea and talked railways with me but I think my parents were quite glad to leave as he was still somewhat irate about Merlin.

LakeshoreMike
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by LakeshoreMike » Mon May 08, 2017 9:04 pm

Hi Philip

2 emails sent.

Building on a comment above, Microbe is small!!

My first attempt at modelling this was just after the drawings were first published. The boiler was going to be a 32mm diameter 'pot' but I lost momentum on the build when I realised first, that the boiler was too low-set on the frames for a pot-boiler to be viable and also that the duration of the run would be quite short. (This was long before top up bottles and Goodall valves).

Now, I have a new build underway, this time in 7/8ths scale and with a single flue boiler.

Since it is my thing, I'm scratchbuilding but It would be easy to use Roundhouse parts, either in 7/8ths or by rubber-banding slightly and using a scale of 3/4" or 20mm, still on 45mm track.

Good luck with the build and thank you for posting the picture of Bacillus - it's the first I've seen.

Regards
Mike

pskipper
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pskipper » Wed May 10, 2017 4:38 pm

Look forwards to seeing pictures of your Microbe when it's finished. I'm not sure whether I'll go live steam or just steam outline for these two as they are so small. I did find another picture of Bacillus, this one in service, thanks to a website having a copy of an ebay listing so have a front view if the plans no longer exist...
Bacillus-Knostrop-Sewage-Works.jpg
Bacillus-Knostrop-Sewage-Works.jpg (24.12 KiB) Viewed 7782 times
I'm curious about what the thing on the front is, obviously a later addition as it wasn't in the works photo.

Thanks again for the drawings :)

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu May 11, 2017 1:20 am

Could it be two lifting jacks with the handles crossed?
Grant.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu May 11, 2017 8:11 am

I wanted to say that but thought I would be wrong...

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu May 11, 2017 2:59 pm

Ah! hence the cautionary "could it be".
Blowing the pic. up in Irfanview helps.
Grant.