IP engineering

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
TheChestnutLine
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

IP engineering

Post by TheChestnutLine » Sat May 07, 2016 11:23 pm

Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing my first bogie coach, in particular the IP engineering lowered ashbury summer coach. I know in the past IP have made their models to suit both 32mm and 45mm gauge but is this one true to scale for 16mm?

Kind regards
James
James

Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: IP engineering

Post by Enginehouse » Mon May 09, 2016 6:12 pm

TheChestnutLine:117901 wrote:Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing my first bogie coach, in particular the IP engineering lowered ashbury summer coach. I know in the past IP have made their models to suit both 32mm and 45mm gauge but is this one true to scale for 16mm?

Kind regards
James
A good idea might be to ask Ivan. He designed and cut the kit. However the idea that the scale of 16mm working models is absolutely accurate in all respects is very much a joke. As near as sensibly possible, is about as close as one can get. I have a number of IP models built from kits at both gauges and generally the kits are identical above the main beams and or axle boxes. Length/height/width and general configuration details are usually the same.
Cheers

Roy H

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Tue May 10, 2016 7:08 pm

I've overheard Ivan talking at the AGM that he will soon be moving away from MDF cut kits back to proper Plywood.
I for one am delighted, as the Gladstone carriage I purchased from him is MDF and is a bit questionable quality wise. Damn near impossible to get a good paint finish and sanding fluffs it up more! Shame really because his old ply kits were very good!
It may be worth waiting for a bit until he has fully moved away from MDF. It isn't an easy material to use...

Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Enginehouse » Tue May 10, 2016 7:51 pm

JMORG:117949 wrote:I've overheard Ivan talking at the AGM that he will soon be moving away from MDF cut kits back to proper Plywood.
I for one am delighted, as the Gladstone carriage I purchased from him is MDF and is a bit questionable quality wise. Damn near impossible to get a good paint finish and sanding fluffs it up more! Shame really because his old ply kits were very good!
It may be worth waiting for a bit until he has fully moved away from MDF. It isn't an easy material to use...
Ivan is already cutting the 7/8th kits in decent ply, although the jury still seems to be out concerning him continuing to provide a limited range 7/8th kits.

Incidentally we have been working with the MFD rubbish quite recently on some very cheap and uncheerful small quarry type kits from HGLW and have discovered that "papering" the kits with cheap light card using PVA glue and then finishing off with acrylics and a coat of decent quality matt varnish does the trick. It completely overcomes the dreadful woolly effects of trying to rub the stuff down. It also completely covers up the dreadful lumpy tongue and groved joints and also helps with producing much better curves on bonnet edges etc. It's a bit like wall papering in miniature and great fun.
Cheers

Roy H

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue May 10, 2016 7:57 pm

I'm glad he's thinking about using ply again. I made an MDF van and while it turned out nicely, it took a bit of work to get it that way. I didn't really like the MDF.

I've a Gladstone car (ply version) and I love it. I think it's one of his nicest kits and I think it's pretty close to scale dimensions. Although mine is 45mm gauge, it still looks good.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue May 10, 2016 8:08 pm

Hello,

I think I've compared the dimensions of IP's WHR stuff (given on the website) against drawings in the past and found it to be pretty accurate, ie not "scaled". The MDF sounds grim though...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed May 11, 2016 11:13 am

MDF gets a bad press, particularly for finishing, but I have found that sanding sealer gives a good surface to overpaint, and eliminates the fluffy surface problem.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Enginehouse » Wed May 11, 2016 5:17 pm

BaBBLR:117965 wrote:MDF gets a bad press, particularly for finishing, but I have found that sanding sealer gives a good surface to overpaint, and eliminates the fluffy surface problem.
I used shelac rather than SS, which is similar in effect and is also pretty good when used on cereal boxes etc to both soak into card to harden it and to provide an excellent finish for painting. Making for example tippers of the type provided by Mr Binnie, but out of card is definitely cheaper than chips and using the 'damp former, principle they are very quick to make. Ideal where a number (long rake) of the same rolling stock is needed. Basically just the cost of wheels and axles. The card construction addiction being in my case the result of a demo at the 16mm show a year or so back.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu May 12, 2016 6:53 am

Yep - MDF needs a sealer, which is something I learned from my granddad when the stuff first became common about 20 years ago. Other than that it is like any other material, it has its pros and cons.

IP kits tend to be pretty close to 16mm, so you gauge choices are 2' and 2'9.5" ;) - or use the fudge factor. I made up one of the O&K MD2 kits, which is MDF, and it turned into a nice little model. It hauls a scale load with 2-wheel drive, but then my curves are in the 4' to 6' radius range, so most of what it has to contend with is gradient.

Cheers,
Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

DavidB
New User
New User

Post by DavidB » Wed May 18, 2016 1:22 pm

TheChestnutLine:117901 wrote:Hello,

Kind regards
James
Hi James - I used the IP kit for the non-lowered Ashbury summer coach as the basis for a model of replica NWNGR car No24. All of the quoted data that I've seen shows that this carriage is 6 feet wide, but the IP kit scaled out at 6 feet 6 inches wide, so I had to remove 8mm from the ends and the seats to bring it down to 96mm. Someone will no doubt now tell me that the correct width is indeed 104mm and my model is too slim!

David

Sleeper Agent
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Sleeper Agent » Thu May 24, 2018 1:57 pm

My experience with them so far is limited but I found their Penrhyn quarryman coaches to be oversized and there to be a plank short on the end relieves. They go together well enough mind and the extra width can be an advantage if you're cramming up figures. My only other grievance would be that the wood is cut against the grain whenever it suits to save on sheet material and this looks crap, especially as the MDF? still comes out quite grainy even after a few sanding sealer coats and rub downs so it's next to impossible to nullify this issue unless you replace the cutouts with your own.
Service from them is pretty good though and prices are very reasonable.