Bowaters Models - 16mm Rolling Stock Kits

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Bowaters Models - 16mm Rolling Stock Kits

Post by JMORG » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:08 am

Looking good Jon!
In the 7mm drawing book you should have a drawing of 122. As the F&WHR have said that it will now permanently live on the WHR, might be a good idea to do this one as well!
Also, carriage 100 will be converted to a 3rd obs like carriage 123. Will there be an option for the 3rd class interior?

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:07 pm

JMORG wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:08 am Looking good Jon!
In the 7mm drawing book you should have a drawing of 122. As the F&WHR have said that it will now permanently live on the WHR, might be a good idea to do this one as well!
Also, carriage 100 will be converted to a 3rd obs like carriage 123. Will there be an option for the 3rd class interior?
Hi,

I've already decided I'm not doing 122 under any circumstances. The ends are a pain to model and I should know, I've already done it in 4mm! The cost of the Tin Cars are as high as we're prepared to go with our FR coaches and 122 would be even higher making it a no go. That said when the WHR range comes out and if people ask for it, I'm sure I can look into it under that range where the prices will be higher because the coaches are bigger!.

With regards to Coach 100, there's some confusion at my end about that. It'll either be 100 or 102 converted into a 3rd Class Observation to my knowledge. Hence I'm going to wait until Boston Lodge does the required work before converting mine. Either way, I can do it very easily if they use the same interior design as 123. But seeing as this is the FR we're talking about, I'd prefer to wait for now!

Cheers,

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Jon,
Would be keen to get 110 eventually (got to build the other 4 this winter). Just one thing; 110 does not have any visible solebar or frame so you don't actually need to include it in the kit.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:14 pm

Now, we've had some subtle clues as to what our 2018-2019 range will be following on from our hugely successful 2017. It's time to reveal exactly what we're up to!

As previously mentioned, we are releasing two ranges in 2018 and expanding two others. Over 2018, we will be expanding our range of Ffestiniog Railway Modern Coaches, new Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway Coaches plus brand new ranges covering the Welsh Highland Railway (Design work complete) and Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad (prototyping in progress). We aim to get the new FR, SR&RL and SKLR kits all out by Peterborough (Supplier depending) with WHR following at Exeter. However, this is old news so onto the new announcements!

Bowaters Models 2019 Ranges:- South African Railways and Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways Heritage Stock

Bowaters Models will be releasing not one, but two ranges in 2019. The South African Railways Range will cover rolling stock found on the Avontuur Line in Port Elizabeth and will be perfect for owners of NG15s, NGG16s and Class 91s in 16mm scale. The range consists of 10 coaches, 4 wagons and 3 brake vans which should allow a range of different trains to be run. The two images show the sorts of train you should be able to achieve with our kits. Should the initial range do well, expansion is planned in the future. Image from Wikipedia.

The Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railway Heritage stock range is our second range for 2019 and offers kits to go with our existing coaches allowing the typical mix of old and new coaches used in daily operation on the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways. Although we will be effectively redoing some kits that already exist or are only available as RTR, we can promise you these coaches will match our range of modern FR & WHR Coaches in both scale & key dimensions sharing common design style with those ranges at an affordable price. All coaches are modeled in as operating today condition. Image kindly supplied by Max Brayne.

These kits as with all our products will be scale models being designed to operate on 32mm track. 45mm gauge compatibility will be established once prototyping has been undertaken as will the minimum radius of operation.
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rebuilding the Railway!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:31 am

Very exciting Jon! Look forward to the WHR stock!
Just had a quick look at the gallery section, your cherry red rake looks terrific! Just needs some Edinburgh tram lettering to complete!
With the FR's recent carriage plan revealing that the C-set (high summer relief set) will be used as a "modern heritage" set; surely a return to cherry red will be required (and the Square; as built of course).

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:17 pm

JMORG wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:31 am Very exciting Jon! Look forward to the WHR stock!
Just had a quick look at the gallery section, your cherry red rake looks terrific! Just needs some Edinburgh tram lettering to complete!
With the FR's recent carriage plan revealing that the C-set (high summer relief set) will be used as a "modern heritage" set; surely a return to cherry red will be required (and the Square; as built of course).
Thanks for the support. I'm very pleased with the way the cherry red set has turned out. Plans are for another 2 Coaches to complete it which are in the next prototyping batch but then its a case of painting the rest into Cream/Crimson. Only thing I need now is an FR/WHR loco if I can afford one :scratch:

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:03 am

You planning on making more vintage carriages after these 5? Carriage 15 should be very easy to make as well if you're doing 16. Also, with carriage 21 in the final stages of the build it might be a good idea to look at that one as well? Match-boarded like the summer carriages but with a stepped floor.
Carriage 14 might be an interesting model, although I suppose you could make one from an L&B brake comp.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:26 pm

JMORG wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:03 am You planning on making more vintage carriages after these 5? Carriage 15 should be very easy to make as well if you're doing 16. Also, with carriage 21 in the final stages of the build it might be a good idea to look at that one as well? Match-boarded like the summer carriages but with a stepped floor.
Carriage 14 might be an interesting model, although I suppose you could make one from an L&B brake comp.
15 is potentially on the cards. 21 is available from Lineside Hut. 17-20 are a possibility in time if we can work out the technical details (plus it depends which coaches another developer releases first).

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:11 am

Is Lineside hut still going? I thought they shut up shop last year?

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:07 pm

JMORG wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:11 am Is Lineside hut still going? I thought they shut up shop last year?
They're back. And producing some lovely stuff once again. His return has seen the cancelling of a few of our projects as a result.

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:15 pm

Good to see manufacturers communicating to reduce competition. Makes the hobby much nicer when everyone is trying to stay away from repeating another's products.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:12 pm

With just over a week to go until Peterborough (Stand G2 next to Roundhouse in case you're wondering!), time to reveal the prototypes of our new Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad Freight Stock. We have a range of 4 Boxcars, 3 Flat cars and 3 Cabooses which should allow a range of different trains to be run. Passenger stock will follow at a later date. Each kit as is standard with our range comes with bogies in the gauge of your choice (32mm or 45mm) and Accucraft Chopper Couplings. The kits are of course available without those items. All kits include postage to Mainland UK only with postage elsewhere at cost.

The prices are as follows:-

Flat Cars:- £70
Box Cars:- £80
Cabooses:- £90

You will be able to order these at the show or from our website a couple of days before the show. Not the images shown below do not represent the whole range, there is a lot more that will also be released at the same time!

BMS-101 SR&RL 24ft Box Car

BMS-201 SR&RL 24ft Flat Car

BMS-301 SR&RL Caboose 551

BMS-302 SR&RL Caboose 552
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rebuilding the Railway!

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:15 pm

Those new releases look really good. Whilst not suitable for my requirements I am sure they will do well for you.

Ian
Ian

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:24 am

Can we have more detailed pictures of the flat car please as trying to understand why it costs £70.

Does it have detailing we cannot see?

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:59 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:24 am Can we have more detailed pictures of the flat car please as trying to understand why it costs £70.

Does it have detailing we cannot see?
Unfortunately, those cars are not cheap to produce either! Without giving too much away, just on Bogies and Couplings alone our bill is £31.50 per kit. That's before we even start taking into account the actual laser cut components and all the other costs involved which is strictly commercially sensitive information. The price is still pending any changes we want to make so it may come down. We're taking all feedback received so far and will be making final decisions just before Peterborough.

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:03 pm

Just a quick update to reveal the latest prototypes of our Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad Range. There's only one now outstanding but we are working with our supplier to get it resolved.

Image]
BMS-102 SR&RL Box Car 28ft

BMS-202 SR&RL Flat Car 28ft

BMS-203 SR&RL Flat Car 33ft

BMS-303 SR&RL Caboose 553

For those who have forgotten, the prices are as follows:-

Flat Cars - £70
Box Cars - £80
Cabooses - £90

All inclusive of postage to the UK. Postage to elsewhere will be at cost. They all come complete with bogies in either 32mm or 45mm and with Accucraft Chopper Couplings. The kits are available without these options.

To order, either visit our website, visit our Narrow Planet webstore or email us to purchase them for your garden railway/railroad.

www.bowatersmodels.co.uk
info@bowatersmodels.co.uk

Jon
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:04 pm

To celebrate the addition of our new Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad Range to our Narrow Planet webstore, we're pleased to reveal a Narrow Planet Exclusive Sale! From now until Midnight on Sunday, we are offering you a one-use code to get 10% off your order from their website! The offer code you want is BOWATERSAPRIL18 or click on this link here to have it applied automatically to your basket:- https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/discoun ... ers-models

For those wondering, we will be offering 5% off our multipacks on our own website! Drop us a e-mail or facebook message to make use of this discount! Our email is info@bowatersmodels.co.uk

Rebuilding the Railway!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:24 am

Hi Jon,
Just a quick one; have you looked at the possibility of making WHR carriage 1001? This is ex C&U so would be a "duel range" kit that you could provide? I know it also ran on the W&L so it could appease them as well?

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:12 pm

JMORG wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:24 am Hi Jon,
Just a quick one; have you looked at the possibility of making WHR carriage 1001? This is ex C&U so would be a "duel range" kit that you could provide? I know it also ran on the W&L so it could appease them as well?
Hi,

Been asked a few times about this. In theory, yes. In practice, it's unlikely. Lack of drawings is the main issue. Anyone knows where I can get some, then we'll see.

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:48 pm

Brand new from Bowaters Models, Welsh Highland Railway Modern Coaches!

New from Bowaters Models, we're pleased to reveal our brand new Welsh Highland Railway Coaches in 16mm scale. The first 3 of our new Welsh Highland Railway Coaches! Shown are coaches 2021 (BMH-002), 2040 (BMH-004) and 2090 (BMH-007). There is some work outstanding on 2090 however in its current form it does show off the etched detail normally hidden behind a layer of beading! All 3 will be on display at the Llanfair Garden Railway Show at the beginning of September! Come and say hello to see exactly what we’ve been working on!!!

BMH-002 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2021/2022 as running today

The full range is as follows:-

BMH-000 Welsh Highland Railway Multipack (x1 BMH-002 x1 BMH-004 x1 BMH-006, x1 BMH-009 and x1 BMH-010 (BMH-009 can be substituted for BMH-007)
BMH-001 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2020 as built
BMH-002 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2021/2022 as running today
BMH-003 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2041 as built
BMH-004 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2040/2041 as running today
BMH-005 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2043/2044/2045
BMH-006 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2046/2047
BMH-007 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2090
BMH-008 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2091
BMH-009 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2011
BMH-010 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2115 ‘Bodysgallen’

BMH-004 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2040 as running today

Price wise, the non-Pullman coaches are expected to be between £100 and £130 per coach and the Pullman Bodysgallen will be between £140 to £160.
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rebuilding the Railway!