Bowaters Models - 16mm Rolling Stock Kits

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Bowaters Models - 16mm Rolling Stock Kits

Post by SpudUk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:09 am

Are there any photographs of painted and completed FR coaches? Quite like the look of them.

Really interested in the C&U coaches, shall watch with interest!

Thanks

Chris
Chris Auckland

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:07 pm

SpudUk wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:09 am Are there any photographs of painted and completed FR coaches? Quite like the look of them.

Really interested in the C&U coaches, shall watch with interest!

Thanks

Chris
Hi Chris,

No complete and painted coaches yet. I'm waiting on getting all 4 together before sending them all off to be done by a contact of mine. Makes more sense to get all 4 done together rather than worry about sending them one by one.

That said, I've had a very busy week. Apart from recovering from Peterborough, a lot of finalizing design work has been under taken on the FR coaches to take into account modifications needed from the prototypes. I've also assembled Coach 105 which I'm pleased to unveil the first pictures of. Its not complete as there are some bits missing (don't worry, I know where they are) or others needed a quick redesign to fit. Those who ordered the full set of FR coaches should receive a e-mail with a rough time plan for receiving your coaches. At the moment, I'm looking at 4-6 weeks to us being in a position to get them to you as long as everything works as planned.

For those who potentially want other FR coaches, by special request, I've done a modification of Coach 105 to have squared off windows. This means externally, it looks very similar to Coaches 106 and 107. Please note, it still shares the interior with 105 so is very much in the style of externally. This version has been added to our production planning and will finish off the range we're currently producing. Stay tuned for the first images of that in hopefully a couple of weeks!

Cheers,

Jon
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:16 pm

As things progress, things start to grow. And Bowaters Models is no different! We're starting to look beyond our current range and starting to look at other Prototypes. As such, we're starting work on the next range to follow on from our Ffestiniog, Chattenden & Upnor and Sittingbourne Ranges.

As such, we're pleased to announce our potential 2018/2019 range which will hopefully see us starting work on a Maine Two Footers Range! Focusing on the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes, we've selected a range of 4 Coaches, 3 Freight Cars and a Caboose which will form the initial range allowing a mix of Sandy River trains to be run. The Range at present consists of the following items:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8467804@N ... 13/sizes/l

BMS-001 SR&RL Combine No.14
BMS-002 SR&RL Combine No.15
BMS-003 SR&RL Coach No.19/20
BMS-101 SR&RL Box Car No.100-108
BMS-102 SR&RL Flat Car/Pulpwood Car/Coal Car No.200-210
BMS-103 SR&RL Flat Car/Pulpwood Car/Coal Car No.400-437
BMS-201 SR&RL Caboose No.553

By popular demand, We are looking at potentially up-scaling a number of our kits to 7/8ths scale to match the new Accucraft Forney. This will most likely be items from the BMS-10x and BMS-20x ranges. Likewise, if there are any other Sandy River items of rolling stock you would potentially be interested in, please let us know so we can shape the ranges appropriately.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pavdw/9479587784/sizes/l

At the moment, this range is very much in the research stage and depending on the demand, this range may go into production. Likewise, if there are any particular Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes items of Rolling stock, let us know!

If you do want any part of this range, please contact us via e-mail at info@bowatersmodels.co.uk to register your interest.
Images from Flickr and used under Creative Commons Licensing https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:31 pm

A small update for those looking for our FR Coaches, I'm suitably happy with all 5 coaches so they're all released! You can buy either from myself via the website or via the Narrow Planet store.

All 5 Coaches together

FR Coach 102 minus 3D printed section.

FR Coach 105 now complete.

FR Coach '106/107'

Work is also rapidly progressing on my own Motive Power Kit (based on the Bowaters Battery Electric engine 'The Tank') which should see a prototype appearing once things calm down a bit. We've also design locked two of our Chattenden and Upnor Coaches ready for prototype production. I'm still researching the 3rd but it's proving harder to research than first thought.

As part of my commitment to reduce our environmental impact, a while ago I switched to Digital Copies of all of our instructions. I'm pleased to unveil the new online home for them as part of my website. I'm also pleased to unveil the first of two Catalogues which will cover my range from 2017-2019. Everything on this page is likely to be updated from time to time so I recommend checking back often to ensure you have the latest information.
http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk/documentation/

Thanks to everyone for the Fantastic Response to our announcement for my potential 2018/2019 range. I'm going to go through responses to work out what to do and what to produce. Safe to say from the response I've had, you can safely guarantee some form of Sandy River Range will be appearing once my current backlog is out the way!

For those who are curious about that backlog, it is as follows:-
BMU-001 C&U Coach 196/200 - Due 3rd Quarter 2017
BMU-001 C&U Coach 199 - Due 3rd Quarter 2017
BME-001 Bowaters 'The Tank' - Due 4th Quarter 2017
BMU-003 C&U Coach 2014 - Due 1st Quarter 2018

As with all our backlog, things can change over a matter of hours let alone months. More information will follow on my Facebook page as projects progress.

Cheers,

Jon
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rebuilding the Railway!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Tue May 23, 2017 11:23 am

Hi Jon,
Saw your models on the stand at Peterborough, loved the Barn carriages.
I know it's early days, but are you planning anymore FR carriages? The Super Barns would likely be the next logical step!
Look forward to the SRRL stock

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:27 pm

JMORG wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:23 am Hi Jon,
Saw your models on the stand at Peterborough, loved the Barn carriages.
I know it's early days, but are you planning anymore FR carriages? The Super Barns would likely be the next logical step!
Look forward to the SRRL stock
Hi,

I'm waiting for a reply from someone else before I comment on that as I've had a couple of people ask about other coaches. With regards to the super barns, there's already a ready to run model of those on the way and as a rule, I don't duplicate other people's hard work. Its fairer that way.

I already have the technical information for the Tin Cars so if others appear, they will most likely be next. That way, the 3 pre-superbarn classes of coach would be available.

Kind Regards,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:49 pm

Fresh from the printers is the first official images of our upcoming Chattenden and Upnor Coaches in 16mm. The radically different bigger siblings to our existing 4mm coaches, they feature a return to the design style from our original Bowaters stock which has meant a pair of kits that literally fall together. We're very pleased with them and hope you'll want to give some a home on your railway! The release date has been fixed for the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway end of season Gala in September so you'll be able to come and have a look for yourself! We're also hoping to pose them with the prototypes that inspired them if time allows.

One of the two prototypes on the test track

Pricing is going to be in the £75 region with any luck and as with the rest of our range, we can provide them with bogies on request. They are suitable for both 32mm and 45mm gauge track. Minimum Radius is thought to be 36 inches which is the same as our Bowaters Stock.

Cheers,

Jon
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:31 pm

We’re proud to present the first item in our BME series of kits. The E standing for Engine! BME-004 Monson Railroad No.3.

This will be a 3D printed 16mm kit running on a TBC chassis. It is designed for 32mm gauge track only at this stage but we are looking at the required changes to fit it onto 45mm gauge track as well. This will be a 16mm Scale model which is 1:19 for our American friends and will go nicely with our upcoming range of Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Rolling Stock. Minimum Radius is undetermined as is haulage capacity. Price is TBC. We will update you as things progress and as we have more information.

Why do American locos (subtle hint about what else is on the way!) we hear some people ask? Well, we have a fantastic range of rolling stock on the way with only one engine to pull them (and a very good engine at that). So we’re correcting the balance.

With just one week to go until our appearence at the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway End of Season Gala, time to show you exactly what we’ve been on about regarding our sneak peak on facebook! BME-002 – Freelance BEV. This kit runs on an IPE Basic Chassis and is a first in 16mm. Never before (to our knowledge) has a Battery Electric Battery Electric been provided by a Manufacturer before. The gauge will be 32mm ONLY. As per our current policy, the kit will be provided complete with both Couplings and chassis. We’re also pleased to confirm the price will be a mear £65!

The engine’s Haulage capacity is between 1-2 of our Bowaters Staff coaches or 2-4 of our Bowaters Pulp Wagons. This matches the approximate haulage capacity of its inspiration, Bowaters ‘The Tank’! Speaking of which, we are also producing a more prototypical version of ‘The Tank’ but on a PDF Models chassis! This one (those who use 45mm gauge will be delighted to hear), will be available in both 32mm and 45mm gauges and we hope to have a prototype at Exeter amongst other things!

This kit will be released on Wednesday and is expected to be very popular so if you want one, we recommend dropping a message either on Facebook or by email to preorder one!
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:49 pm

Product Annoucement

First of our announcements for Exeter. We will be doing 6 in total running up to the show!

To go alongside our range of FR Coaches, we will also be producing a range of Welsh Highland Railway Coaches! This will be a range of 7 kits covering the majority of the WHR fleet. As with our FR coaches, these will be scale models (16mm) and will be designed from the outset to operate on both 32mm and 45mm track. Please note, at this time, we will not be producing the Observation coaches. If demand dictates otherwise, we will consider it. We don't have a release date set for this model but it will follow on from our Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Freight stock range therefore in the 2018/2019 timeframe. Research is underway and we expect to start design work once our Bowaters Bagnall is complete.

The Range consists of the following kits:-

BMH-000 Welsh Highland Railway Multipack (Details to be confirmed)
BMH-001 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2021/2022
BMH-002 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2040/2041/2042
BMH-003 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2043/2044/2045
BMH-004 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2046/2047
BMH-005 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2090
BMH-006 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2011
BMH-007 Welsh Highland Railway Coach 2115 ‘Bodysgallen’

For details, please see our website here:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk/whr-modern-coaches/

All images are from Wikipedia.

Rebuilding the Railway!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:05 am

Looking good! Any particular reason why the obs aren't being produced?

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:24 pm

JMORG wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:05 am Looking good! Any particular reason why the obs aren't being produced?
Technical reasons namely the curved end of the coach. It is doable but will mean it would be significantly more expensive coach than the rest.That said, if the demand is there, we can look to review the decision. At the moment, the WHR doesn't have one of each train so its not a key feature of the trains. That said, I know 2101 is on the way so we may review it in time.

Thanks for the interest!

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:36 pm

If you're gauging interest for the obs count me in! That said, the new FR Pullman carriage being built will be different to 150 and I've read somewhere that 2101 will be superficially similar to these rather than 2100. As it is the next WHR saloon being made it might not be too long before it becomes clearer. With a much flatter end it may be easier to make!
With two observation cars it's currently not confirmed the eventual fate of Bodysgallen, as it is essentially being replaced by the new carriage.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:41 pm

Next Annoucement! BMF-011 to BMF-013 Ffestiniog Railway Tin Cars!

Yes, that's right. We are covering the now withdrawn Tin Cars as well! These 3 kits will cover 117-121 in the condition they last operated(or in 120's case, is still operating) on the Ffestiniog Railway. All 3 kits are 16mm scale and like the rest of our range can run on both 32mm track and 45mm track. These kits make use of 2 of our 3D printed end sections to produce the unique roofs these coaches had in service. However, as a result, these coaches will be the most expensive in the range at £110 each. They are currently awaiting the next prototyping slot (which will become free after Exeter (subtle hint about what else is on the way!)) after which we aim to have them out by the end of this year/early next year. Please note, the current BMF Multipack will not include these coaches. A variant of these will become available when the coaches are released.

Now some will have noticed a gap in the product codes. We shall reveal all at a later date!!!!

Image from Wikipedia.

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:22 pm

Annoucement Number 3 - SKLR Preservation Coaches

After our very successful trip to the SKLR end of season gala, we are starting work on a set of SKLR Passenger Coaches. These will be modifications of our existing Bowaters Passenger Coaches into their current day variants as operating on the preserved railway. We will be covering coaches 657, 659 and 660 with representative interiors. These will be 16mm scale and will match the existing coaches we produce. We already have coach 641 as running today in our range hence it not being included in this release. We will update our website after Exeter to reflect the new coaches being produced. These are ready to order now so drop us a line if you are interested!

Announcement Number 4 - Bowaters Paper Railway Battery Electric 'The Tank'

We're pleased to unveil the second of our two Battery electrics which is now complete. This is the prototype version of our Freelance Battery Electric, The Bowaters Paper Railway 'The Tank'. This 0-4-0BE is designed to operate on either 32mm or 45mm track with 4 wheel drive thanks to a fantastic RTR chassis from PDF Models. This kit will be priced at £70 including couplings and the chassis in the gauge of your choice. For those who want another gauge, let us know and we will see what we can do.

We've got one more announcement on the way and it will be a big one. Stay tuned to see what we're on about!
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:32 pm

Announcement 5! Additional New FR Modern Corridor Coaches!

BMF-006 to BMF-010 Ffestiniog Railway Modern Coaches

Yes, time to fill in the gap. We are pleased to reveal another 5 coaches for our FR range including a second Observation coach and the Prototype Tin Car. The 5 kits cover a range of coaches and complete the 'pre superbarn' set of coaches except for Observation Coach No.100 (second) and Service Car No.124. These will follow later having been assigned product codes BMF-014 (Coach 100) and BMF-015 (Coach 124) alongside our Tin Cars. They are both complete design wise and awaiting the next prototyping slot. As with the rest of the range, these will be scale models (16mm scale) and suitable to run on both 32mm and 45mm gauge track. Prices will be between £82.50 (Normal Coaches), £95 (Observation 123) and £110 (Tin Car No.110). As per our standard policy, these kits will come complete with couplings and bogies in the gauge of your choice (32mm or 45mm).

Shown are the completed prototype for Coach 116, the almost Completed Prototypes for Coaches 110 & 123 and the semi-complete Prototypes for Coaches 22 and 104. We're aiming to have them all complete and on show at Exeter. Please note, the images were taken mid-construction so the final products do not reflect the images shown.

This completes our announcements for Exeter. Come and say hello to see our latest prototypes for yourself.

To view the entire FR coach range, visit our website:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk/fr-modern-coaches/
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rebuilding the Railway!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:08 am

Looking good Jon!
In the 7mm drawing book you should have a drawing of 122. As the F&WHR have said that it will now permanently live on the WHR, might be a good idea to do this one as well!
Also, carriage 100 will be converted to a 3rd obs like carriage 123. Will there be an option for the 3rd class interior?

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:07 pm

JMORG wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:08 am Looking good Jon!
In the 7mm drawing book you should have a drawing of 122. As the F&WHR have said that it will now permanently live on the WHR, might be a good idea to do this one as well!
Also, carriage 100 will be converted to a 3rd obs like carriage 123. Will there be an option for the 3rd class interior?
Hi,

I've already decided I'm not doing 122 under any circumstances. The ends are a pain to model and I should know, I've already done it in 4mm! The cost of the Tin Cars are as high as we're prepared to go with our FR coaches and 122 would be even higher making it a no go. That said when the WHR range comes out and if people ask for it, I'm sure I can look into it under that range where the prices will be higher because the coaches are bigger!.

With regards to Coach 100, there's some confusion at my end about that. It'll either be 100 or 102 converted into a 3rd Class Observation to my knowledge. Hence I'm going to wait until Boston Lodge does the required work before converting mine. Either way, I can do it very easily if they use the same interior design as 123. But seeing as this is the FR we're talking about, I'd prefer to wait for now!

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Jon,
Would be keen to get 110 eventually (got to build the other 4 this winter). Just one thing; 110 does not have any visible solebar or frame so you don't actually need to include it in the kit.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:14 pm

Now, we've had some subtle clues as to what our 2018-2019 range will be following on from our hugely successful 2017. It's time to reveal exactly what we're up to!

As previously mentioned, we are releasing two ranges in 2018 and expanding two others. Over 2018, we will be expanding our range of Ffestiniog Railway Modern Coaches, new Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway Coaches plus brand new ranges covering the Welsh Highland Railway (Design work complete) and Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad (prototyping in progress). We aim to get the new FR, SR&RL and SKLR kits all out by Peterborough (Supplier depending) with WHR following at Exeter. However, this is old news so onto the new announcements!

Bowaters Models 2019 Ranges:- South African Railways and Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways Heritage Stock

Bowaters Models will be releasing not one, but two ranges in 2019. The South African Railways Range will cover rolling stock found on the Avontuur Line in Port Elizabeth and will be perfect for owners of NG15s, NGG16s and Class 91s in 16mm scale. The range consists of 10 coaches, 4 wagons and 3 brake vans which should allow a range of different trains to be run. The two images show the sorts of train you should be able to achieve with our kits. Should the initial range do well, expansion is planned in the future. Image from Wikipedia.

The Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railway Heritage stock range is our second range for 2019 and offers kits to go with our existing coaches allowing the typical mix of old and new coaches used in daily operation on the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways. Although we will be effectively redoing some kits that already exist or are only available as RTR, we can promise you these coaches will match our range of modern FR & WHR Coaches in both scale & key dimensions sharing common design style with those ranges at an affordable price. All coaches are modeled in as operating today condition. Image kindly supplied by Max Brayne.

These kits as with all our products will be scale models being designed to operate on 32mm track. 45mm gauge compatibility will be established once prototyping has been undertaken as will the minimum radius of operation.
Last edited by angr607 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rebuilding the Railway!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:31 am

Very exciting Jon! Look forward to the WHR stock!
Just had a quick look at the gallery section, your cherry red rake looks terrific! Just needs some Edinburgh tram lettering to complete!
With the FR's recent carriage plan revealing that the C-set (high summer relief set) will be used as a "modern heritage" set; surely a return to cherry red will be required (and the Square; as built of course).