Roundhouse have announced their latest engine

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Mon May 12, 2008 10:50 pm

I feel that once the appropriate black border has been painted where the rivets are they will blend in much better. personally I would have to make an ashpan for underneath the firebox.

Roundhouse have produced a slip-eccentric L&B loco in the past, www.roundhouse-eng.com/museum.htm scroll down to 1990.

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Tue May 13, 2008 12:35 pm

I know about the old L&B tank loco that roundhouse use to make (ptlrcecil's got one), but they only produced the first three locos in their rather ungainly ( in my opion any) origanle form before they were rebuilt. I'd like it with they brought back the egine, but make 3 versions- origanles unrebuilt, rebuilt, and a model of my favorte L&B loco, Lew.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue May 13, 2008 5:33 pm

garratt100 wrote:
Matt wrote:Same here.  I think that roundhouse should do models of real locos more oftern.
Fully agree - the K1 Garratt would be nice for next year please Roundhouse...

Chris.
Aye, they need to make a Garratt!!!!!

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Tue May 13, 2008 8:15 pm

Hey, I've got an idea. You know roundhouse already produce Russell, and here we're suggesting that they should make a K1, which is also based on the welsh highland, and Accucraft aready make models of the big garrets and the Baldwin, so why don't Accucraft and Roundhouse team up, and make models of all the steam locos owned by the welsh highland, past and present.

I'm sure it'll get a lot of interest.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue May 13, 2008 8:26 pm

If only, but would the 2 biggest players in the market team up? I doubt it I think. I like the idea of a K1, it would be some machine though I still would like a double Fairlie :D
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Tue May 13, 2008 8:46 pm

Well roundhouse have teamed up with other compainies before in the past to produce engines.

Now that they've produced an 0-4-4 fairlie, they will quite likely move on to 0-4-4-0 fairlies, or maybe they'll produce an 0-6-4 welsh highland fairlie.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue May 13, 2008 9:36 pm

A fiend mentioned that he thought it would be unlikely that Roundhouse would produce a double fairlie as the boiler would be a tad complicated for their easy to use method. I also believe I read on the Mamod forum that a member had spoken to RH and told him that they weren't.

I'd rather have a Taliesin and a train of Barn Carrs.... *drools*
Trwyn-y-Garnedd specials :P

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue May 13, 2008 9:44 pm

Aye a boiler would be difficult. It could be done though.

Maybe use 2 seperate boilers? Cover the gap with a fake removable firebox ;)

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue May 13, 2008 9:52 pm

steamyjim wrote:Maybe use 2 seperate boilers? Cover the gap with a fake removable firebox ;)
Like my mate said, that would be hell to write the instruction manual for, you'd have to fill two boilers, equal steam usage, double gas tanks, ect...

It's not going to happen, I'm sure they'll sel the power bogie seperatley, if you wanna try yourself!

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Tue May 13, 2008 10:11 pm

yeah, but the K1 garret won't be as complicated, so maybe they could produce that.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue May 13, 2008 10:17 pm

hmmm we'll see, Archangel did a double Fairlie but it would've been meths fired, and meths would probebly be better for a double Fairlie. But K1 would be good, and as for a Taliesin and a set of barns, think im drooling as well, if only the ANLR had more money!!!!
"What the hell is that?"

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Tue May 13, 2008 10:28 pm

the aclr is suffering the same fait mate lack of funds :?

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue May 13, 2008 11:34 pm

I second that for the MHLR :roll: :cry:

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Wed May 14, 2008 12:50 pm

Yeah, that's the main problem with our hobby, it's very, very expensive.

One engine that I'd like to see would be a R&ER 3 foot gauge tank loco. They've never been produced as far as i know, and I think they would be very sucsessful on the 45mm market.

Do you agree Laalratty?

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed May 14, 2008 5:10 pm

SillyBilly wrote:
steamyjim wrote:Maybe use 2 seperate boilers? Cover the gap with a fake removable firebox ;)
Like my mate said, that would be hell to write the instruction manual for, you'd have to fill two boilers, equal steam usage, double gas tanks, ect...

It's not going to happen, I'm sure they'll sel the power bogie seperatley, if you wanna try yourself!
Well if you use the same gas tank for each burner and joined the 2 steam lines to a single regulator it wouldnt be so difficult. Aye balancing boiler water could be difficult but could be done

I understand it wont happen but im just saying its not as complicated as its made out to be.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Wed May 14, 2008 5:46 pm

Matt wrote:Yeah, that's the main problem with our hobby, it's very, very expensive.
Not necessarily, in the early days of the 16mm Association members used to make engines out of cornflake boxes and dog food cans and so on :lol: But the downdside is, of course, its hard to make detailed models of real prototypes this way.
One engine that I'd like to see would be a R&ER 3 foot gauge tank loco. They've never been produced as far as i know, and I think they would be very sucsessful on the 45mm market.

I'm not sure they'd catch on TBH, there seems to be a dissappointing lack of interest in 3' in garden railways :cry: What I'd really love to see is the Isle of Man Railway locos in live steam - the Accucraft models are beautiful but cost far more than I'd be willing to pay for an electric loco.

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Wed May 14, 2008 6:44 pm

DJB engineering produce ilse of man locos to order I think.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Wed May 14, 2008 8:10 pm

I'm not sure they do any more - I can no longer find any details of them on their website. Anyway, I expect they were extremely expensive!

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm

I'd love to see an R&ER Manning Wardle, but as Muztrem said not too many people go for 3 foot prototypes, its all 32, which although is not a bad thing, a bit more variety would be good
"What the hell is that?"

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Wed May 14, 2008 9:34 pm

Yeah, I supose.

Another idea that came into my head was to produce a model either of 'River Irt' in it's current form, or of 'Northen Rock'. They could be eaiserly addapted to look 2 foot gaugeish, and would be popular with people who like to model minium gauge railways.