New Gauge 3 Powered Chassis

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
Clive Aintreew
Cleaner
Cleaner

New Gauge 3 Powered Chassis

Post by Clive Aintreew » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:29 pm

Gauge 3 at 2.5" (22:1) was one of the first model railway standards and is the largest "scenic" ( i.e. non-passenger carrying ) gauge. It has the advantage of being large and robust enough to be truly suitable for outdoor use. It flourished in the 1930's with magnificent locos made by Bassett-Lowke rushing around the large gardens of the aristocracy and well to do and is enjoying something of a revival with modern flexible stainless steel track now available from Cliff Barker ( www.cliffbarker.me.uk ) making establishing a garden layout relatively simple.

But there is a shortage of motive power and rolling stock. Hence the development of a new powered chassis from Ince Loco Works, Wigan. This is provided fully built and ready to run for a basic price of £80 and follows on from the firm's very successful range of similar "pugs " at smaller gauges.

Pictures are attached. The chassis is engineered to a high standard using the best and strongest materials. Chassis side plates are 2mm steel with end and top plates also available if required. A standard 380 25mm motor (3-7.2 volts ) drives two ¼" steel axles running in ball races via a brass worm gear, axles coupled via a 6mm toothed rubber belt. Wheels are 40mm steel and the just over 500g weight helps to give excellent traction. The chassis is very compact, just 2" high and 3½" wide, overall length 6 inches.

The chassis is very versatile, capable of providing the underpinnings for a Gauge 3 industrial loco, 0-4-0 steam outline, two units providing plenty of power and speed for a Bo-Bo diesel or electric mainline passenger or freight outline among other applications. Bodies could be home built, kits or 3D printed.

If you are interest in acquiring a chassis ( each made to order ) please contact Phil Edwards via email at Ince Loco Works, Wigan, Lancs - incelocoworks@gmail.com.

[attachment=0]7_DSCF4314.JPG[/attachment
Attachments
1_DSCF4317.JPG
1_DSCF4317.JPG (1.46 MiB) Viewed 6308 times
5_DSCF4308.JPG
5_DSCF4308.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 6308 times
7_DSCF4314.JPG
7_DSCF4314.JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 6308 times

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Re: New Gauge 3 Powered Chassis

Post by angr607 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:33 pm

Is there a rough price for these? I've got a few ideas I could put these under.....

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:36 am

angr607 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:33 pm Is there a rough price for these? I've got a few ideas I could put these under.....

Jon
"provided fully built and ready to run for a basic price of £80"
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Clive Aintreew
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Clive Aintreew » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:26 am

Here are two new photos with the optional end plates fitted. I think they cost about £10 including the fitting kit which clamps them to the chassis plate spacers.
The plates are 2mm steel the same as the side plates and Phil is also providing an optional full size top deck which I have ordered. Once fitted, I will post a photo.
Clive
Attachments
DSCF4321.JPG
DSCF4321.JPG (1.43 MiB) Viewed 6223 times
DSCF4319.JPG
DSCF4319.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 6223 times