Apple Tree Tram Mounting Brackets 45mm Gauge

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Apple Tree Tram Mounting Brackets 45mm Gauge

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:43 pm

I have put this in "Review", though in reality it is to show what has just become available.

Tim Gleed-Owen of Apple Tree looked at the issue I have of being able to mount his motor/gearbox without outside hubs and this is what he has produced:
Apple Tree Bracket-4.jpg
Apple Tree Bracket-4.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 4072 times
Apple Tree Bracket-3.jpg
Apple Tree Bracket-3.jpg (745.08 KiB) Viewed 4072 times
Apple Tree Bracket-2.jpg
Apple Tree Bracket-2.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 4072 times
Apple Tree Bracket-1.jpg
Apple Tree Bracket-1.jpg (873.67 KiB) Viewed 4072 times
  • Wheels/Axles: These are slaters from the G1 (10mm) range with 1/8” ends and 3/16” axles.
  • End of the axles can cut off flush with the wheels.
  • Any axles set from the wagon/coach range will fit.
  • Hangers: Axle centre height from the base is 21mm
  • The height can obviously be increased by packing under the bracket but is the minimum centre height.
  • Price: Each bracket with fittings is £8. As per photos that's the brass tube with axle stand and fasteners with gearbox stand (motor/gearbox not included)
Note: I have no connection with the business, just very happy with the supplier help and assistance.

For further information please contact Tim on appletreerailway@icloud.com

Moderators I hope this not fall outside the scope of permitted posting, just trying to assist anybody who has had similar issues to myself in tram building.

philipy

Re: Apple Tree Tram Mounting Brackets 45mm Gauge

Post by philipy » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:17 pm

Jimmyb wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:43 pm
Moderators I hope this not fall outside the scope of permitted posting, just trying to assist anybody who has had similar issues to myself in tram building.
I can't see any problem at all, Jimmy.
Potentially very useful.

Re the actual system, my only comment would be that it would be preferable to put a recess in the centre of the trailing axle mounting and use top hat bushes at the ends, rather than the tube. Less friction that way and less chance for muck to get jammed in the tube, plus less solid lump under the vehicle.
Philip

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:37 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:17 pm
Jimmyb wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:43 pm
I can't see any problem at all, Jimmy.
Potentially very useful.

Re the actual system, my only comment would be that it would be preferable to put a recess in the centre of the trailing axle mounting and use top hat bushes at the ends, rather than the tube. Less friction that way and less chance for muck to get jammed in the tube, plus less solid lump under the vehicle.
Philip, the issue was the narrowness of the bogie frames, not being able to support top hats in the axles boxes, so the actual axles support was inboard of the wheels.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:48 am

philipy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:17 pm
Swift Sixteen uses the tube method for many (if not all) of his kits. I can't say I've noticed any issues with them on the kit's I have in use.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:22 pm

I can only agree with you Phil, the Swift Sixteen units are very easy to use and smooth in operation, even with Binnie wheels (as supplied) instead of my usually preferred metal wheels.
If only a similar motor unit could be made available to fit 32mm gauge.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:59 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:22 pm I can only agree with you Phil, the Swift Sixteen units are very easy to use and smooth in operation, even with Binnie wheels (as supplied) instead of my usually preferred metal wheels.
If only a similar motor unit could be made available to fit 32mm gauge.
Yes, I don't really understand why SS stopped supplying steel wheels. A cost thing I suppose. And I did suggest on Tim's Apple Tree Facebook page that the same system for 32mm would be most welcome, his reply was "Phil sorry my fingers are too big for watchmaker stuff "😂😂
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077