New Roundhouse

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

New Roundhouse

Post by Killian Keane » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:08 am

So 18 days until roundhouse announce their new loco, whats everybody hoping for?
Blokes with tea can build anything

Big Jim

Re: New Roundhouse

Post by Big Jim » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Something with a 75 percent discount for clergymen would be nice.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:20 pm

A battery powered steam outline loco would be an interesting addition to their fleet. Mind you, I probably wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.

It's interesting that they have so far not made very many 3' gauge locos - considering that a lot of people now use 45mm track. There's no Southwold and very little (if any) ironstone or Irish NG locos.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Big Jim wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:34 pm Something with a 75 percent discount for clergymen would be nice.
What are my chances of qualifying for that Jim?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:47 pm

With me being new I suppose any type of Roundhouse loco will be nice to own, better start saving. :lol:
Regards
Kevin

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Killian Keane » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Going by the last couple of releases I think we can safely say its not going to be a freelance loco, they seem to have gone as far as they can go with those, except maybe for a modernised Dylan

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:01 pm

What are my chances of qualifying for that Jim?
I'll lend you a collar and cassock.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Graff B.
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Graff B. » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Unlikely I think, but an England would be nice!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:11 pm

I think it would be better if they just updated the bodies on their current range and stopped pushing their prices up for designs that have not changed for some time so they don't need to cover development costs.

Lady Anne for example is pretty basic and the cab foot steps need changing to some more substantial as I see many photos of them bent.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:21 pm

I would love to see them make a chinese C2 0-8-0 (or the east european equivalent).

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:52 pm

As only thier basic series is in my budget for the coming few years, would love to see them update the frames of Bertie and Sammie to take thier Walschearts valve gear kit. It can be done, I did it to a Sammie last year. But an updated frame and differnt cross shaft for shifting the links would ease the conversion. Would love to see William or Dylan reissued but would probably be out of my budget unless offered as a kit. A new budget series engine all together would be nice as well. Will probably be ordering a Bertie in blue as soon as I get a few more HO brass engines sold. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:49 am

Whatever it is, I won't be able to afford it, so I'm not really bothered what they do.
Philip

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Same here Phillip, once they moved away from the generic classic models and into the more scale/prototype models, that was the end of me affording what they have to offer new each year. Followed by the price increases on models who's design and tooling have long been paid for like BIlly, Katie and such, puts me in the basic models price range. Second hand models, which are mostly found in the UK, sell for nearly as much as a brand new one would cost me from the lone dealer here in the USA. I got lucky to find my Mayflower on this side of the pond and kick myself for letting go of the Bertie I had that I got from a local gent. Trying right now to sell off some HO scale brass trains so I can order a brand new Bertie direct from RH, with all upgrades if possible. Might even do my Walscherts valve gear install like I did on a Sammie, turning a basic engine into a classic range one on my own! Mike the Aspie

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:23 am

philipy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:49 am Whatever it is, I won't be able to afford it, so I'm not really bothered what they do.
I second that :lol: (actually, it seems I 'third' it). However, if I won the pools/lottery/unknown inheritance, a fairlies patent would be super :roll:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Hoping for Taliesin or Linda to come back...

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:05 pm

steamer68 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:47 pm With me being new I suppose any type of Roundhouse loco will be nice to own, better start saving. :lol:
I saved up for ages for my first live steam loco - an Accucraft Ragleth (which I still own and steam). I craved a Roundhouse loco and eventually bought a Katie kit which spread out the cost considerably. With a little time and care you can have a nice loco that way. I'd love a new RH loco this year but the car needs replacing and we'd also like a weekend in Paris - plus my 7 year old son is getting expensive to run!

I'm sure whatever they release will be a lovely model.

:)
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Killian Keane » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:32 pm

I had a strange dream the other night in which their new model was this fairlie as a narrow gauge loco

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:43 pm

Perhaps more tea is needed!!!
Grant.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:53 am

Kids are very expensive to run and it gets worse till they move out. While I also carve a Katie kit, for now, I plan to keep on path with my all Merlin stable. With a local friend that could fit RH cylinders or even a replacement copper boiler to my new Maestro if needed, I am confident they will continue to serve my line well. Eventually the buyers of the higher end RH models will either become tapped out or fade away, like has happened in the US to the electric side of large scale. Then we will fall back upon second hand models and more basic ones that the masses can afford. I gave $900 for my Mayflower and $750 for my Maestro, both with RC and in working condition, looking nearly brand new on both of them. I still await what beauty RH comes up with this year, and will enjoy watching on youtube those who can afford it. Mike the Aspie

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:11 am

An 0-6-0 Millie with a cab would be about all that (a) I could afford, and (b) I am likely to be interested in.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.