New Roundhouse

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: New Roundhouse

Post by James from Devon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:05 pm

steamer68 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:47 pm With me being new I suppose any type of Roundhouse loco will be nice to own, better start saving. :lol:
I saved up for ages for my first live steam loco - an Accucraft Ragleth (which I still own and steam). I craved a Roundhouse loco and eventually bought a Katie kit which spread out the cost considerably. With a little time and care you can have a nice loco that way. I'd love a new RH loco this year but the car needs replacing and we'd also like a weekend in Paris - plus my 7 year old son is getting expensive to run!

I'm sure whatever they release will be a lovely model.

:)
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Killian Keane » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:32 pm

I had a strange dream the other night in which their new model was this fairlie as a narrow gauge loco
Blokes with tea can build anything

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:43 pm

Perhaps more tea is needed!!!
Grant.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:53 am

Kids are very expensive to run and it gets worse till they move out. While I also carve a Katie kit, for now, I plan to keep on path with my all Merlin stable. With a local friend that could fit RH cylinders or even a replacement copper boiler to my new Maestro if needed, I am confident they will continue to serve my line well. Eventually the buyers of the higher end RH models will either become tapped out or fade away, like has happened in the US to the electric side of large scale. Then we will fall back upon second hand models and more basic ones that the masses can afford. I gave $900 for my Mayflower and $750 for my Maestro, both with RC and in working condition, looking nearly brand new on both of them. I still await what beauty RH comes up with this year, and will enjoy watching on youtube those who can afford it. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:11 am

An 0-6-0 Millie with a cab would be about all that (a) I could afford, and (b) I am likely to be interested in.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:32 pm

That was underwhelming...
A model that is already available as a kit and another which is no longer at it's railway...

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:58 pm

TBH, my jaw dropped when I saw the price tag on the diesel.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:22 pm

JMORG wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:32 pm That was underwhelming...
A model that is already available as a kit and another which is no longer at it's railway...
Mmm. My reaction was - meh :roll:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:26 pm

Their mobile site is proper broke...

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Neither are really my cup of tea but I still think that it is fantastic that RH have introduced even more items into their range. To have such trade support is a major blessing to us all.

Just a little thought (Its all my brain can manage today).

Some of the people who buy new will subsidise their purchase with the sale of another engine or stock. This brings more stuff into the second hand market which is great for those who may not be willing or able to purchase new.

This will then trickle downwards as others might fancy a 2nd hand engine and may sell other stuff to fund it. Therefore other stuff appears on the market.

And so on.

Another manufacturer may decide to produce items that will go with these, therefore more choice for all of us.

An individual who models in another scale may think "Hang on a minute. I like that" and start dabbling in 16mm........

I could go on.

Having seen some fairly nasty comments on FB this morning about the new models, I find myself wondering that if I was Mr. Roundhouse I would be thinking "stuff this for a game of soldiers, we won't bother anymore"

THIS HAS HAPPENED.

One manufacturer got so cheesed off with negative comments he stopped producing a certain line of products to the detriment of many.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:08 pm

Well hopefully this will not happen at RH, but I think many folks think they are missing the mark with the new announcements. But someone must want them as the idea came from somewhere. I am sure Rodger wouldn't go thru the expense of designing up these without some kind of knowledge of the market. I was still hoping for some updating of the older models with the more current boiler design that has the water glass or provisions for one to be added later like the basic series can. Still find it odd that I cannot add a water sight glass to my Billy, but I can to a Bertie. Time for some updating RH, espically if your going to keep raising prices across the board. Hope the new models sell well for them, just nothing that interests me at those prices. Mike the Aspie

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Killian Keane » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:15 pm

I think the tram actually looks alright, better than the Stanley in my opinion, and that was fairly popular, so that might do alright and while my predilection is for steam, the diseasels seem to have gone down well with some
As for those unsatisfied with the current crop of RTR locos, all the better if this will encourage people to think about building their own
Blokes with tea can build anything

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:26 pm

Had a quick look at the Facebook page and I can't really see the negative comments (must have been deleted since).
All Roundhouse engines are fabulous works of art, but some of the prototypes are slightly weird choices; Karen, Tom Rolt and Moutaineer are very specific and must have a fairly limited appeal. Saying that, I'd love a Beddgelert.
Another thing I've noticed (along with everyone else) with all the bigger firms are the noticeable price increases. Obviously, economic factors such as the strength of the Stirling will affect this (Accucraft especially) but it still seems like an abnormally large increase.
Now I do like trams; they're an unusual but elegant design, but I do feel that Roundhouse could've chosen a different style of tram to at least make it different to a kit already available from another firm. It does look good, but personally I think it's a slightly controversial choice, especially as the said kit is designed for a Roundhouse unit.
Lets not get bogged down by negativity, Roundhouse are still the leading light in the hobby and will probably stay there for the time being, wish them all the best and I'm sure it will run as good as it's looks imply.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:53 pm

The kits and bits side of Roundhouse is a tremendous resource for folks like me who are a little bit off-beat in what we do. The opportunity to put a really reliable chassis and boiler in a homebrewed project is a real source of encouragement for us guys who like to go the semi-scratch built route, or are taking baby steps towards being proper model engineers. Otherwise, they are not usually on my wavelength, which is probably how they stay in business, though I was tempted for a whole half hour by the new Kitson, which is right up my street. That said, I love the Millie I bought some years ago, and also the ancient Anna I acquired second hand a couple of years ago.

Cheers,
Peter in VA
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:23 pm

OK so RH the new model choice seems to have started some healthy debate.

The tram is a good choice.... I know that Rob makes the kit already and it is a really beautiful model (as with all Swift Sixteen products) BUT it is not for everyone to make such a kit for their loco, many people like to buy a loco off the shelf and run it as is so I am glad this is on the market in this form. The tram is on my wish list but I will go for the Swift Sixteen version as I like making kits and I think Rob's is more detailed (plus a hell of a lot cheaper)

The diesel is again, a model that has not been available commercially. Its probably not for me but I suspect they will sell very well.

Let's not forget that Roundhouse is a commercial firm and a look at any videos of their factory on YouTube reveals 100s of thousands of pounds worth of CNC machining centres and a lot of staff. Their decisions around their models must be based in well thought through commercial decisions. Our hobby would be much less interesting without RH and anyone that owns a loco (like my Katie or Bulldog) knows that they are superbly built.

I wish RH every success with these new models.
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:00 pm

I love Facebook but sharp enough to know when and when not to post something. I'm not likely to buy a new locomotive from any manufacturer but appreciate what they provide. I prefer generic locos so some of the last few offerings have made me wonder but they appear to sell so I assume they know what market they are building for. Their back up service is second to none for an owner of 2nd hand steamers so I hope they don't take offence from unhelpful comments.

I wasn't going to comment but was disappointed to read that their facebook page has had a bashing.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:15 pm

Facebook, negativity - never...

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:23 pm

It wasn't the r/h page.
It was on some of the garden railway fb pages.
Sorry I should have made this a bit clearer.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:01 pm

The tram is really a smart choice when you step back and look at it. Trams were used everywhere, USA, UK , mainland Europe ect. So it has a worldwide appeal, more so than another UK prototype. The diesel, while expensive on the surface, read what all it comes with, factory installed RC, Sound, battery pack, charger included and its all metal vs card stock ect. So, while not cheap, will have the ruggedness we have come to expect from the marque. Do we all wish something else might have been made or done in the line, sure, thats normal. I think most of the bashing was others felt that RH might have stepped on some toes with the tram that is nearly a duplicate of the kit thats offered elsewhere that uses a RH steam plant chassis for its base. Along with perceived cost issues. I heard from Harri that the prices would be going up across the board on Jan first, so the prices were of no supprise for me. Just makes thier product even more unaffordable to those outside of the UK, but exchange rates are out of everybodys control. Mike

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:29 pm

Since the value of the Pound has dropped it actually makes them more affordable for those outside UK. It is those within UK that are hit hardest by price increases.