RC Trains now open for business

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

RC Trains now open for business

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:47 pm

You may have noticed that David at Deltang is now no longer selling 'finished' transmitters - he's just selling the kit versions.

After some discussion with him, I've now set up my own little company, marketing Deltang gear and my own slightly enhanced versions.

At the moment, I'm focusing on the Tx22, but once established, I'm intending to make other transmitters based on David's originals.

My website is now 'live' - http://rctrains.co.uk

I'd be interested in feedback anyone might have about the venture, the website and any suggestions for extending the range.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:26 pm

My TX and RX are already on order from Rik and will be dispatched tomorrow. Once installed and tested I will post reviews. I have every confidence in Rik's ability to provide a first class system and wish him well in this venture.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:41 pm

BTW
I created the website using a freebie (Open Source) web authoring package called Open Element - http://www.openelement.com/ . The shopping cart is one of the free tools from PayPal as are the shopping buttons on the pages. Of course, nothing from PayPal is entirely free, but it's cheaper than selling through eBay.

Open Element is a really great package - easy to use with a range of drag and drop 'elements' which are used to create the pages. I did try using a paid-for package but in the end I preferred Open Element.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:44 pm

Peter Butler:115410 wrote:My TX and RX are already on order from Rik and will be dispatched tomorrow.  Once installed and tested I will post reviews.   I have every confidence in Rik's ability to provide a first class system and wish him well in this venture.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Peter - and for acting as my guinea pig.

Rik
------------------------

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by robyholmes » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:02 pm

I wish you all the best mate. Very good idea and looks to be very well executed.

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:27 pm

I just ordered my first Tx20 and it is a kit. :D

But with the very good instructions given at Rik's websites, I think the work will just go well. If not - I know where to get help ... ;)
Kjell Anderdal :)

Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Hi Rik,

That looks great, very professional. Being a live steam man it's not entirely my 'bag'. However, it also means that as a relative novice to such things your site made the description and use of the products very clear. It's well laid out and easy to navigate.

Good luck with the venture.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:46 am

I can vouch for Rik's support already, having been in communication with him regarding Deltang equipment and he has always been super helpful, I mean beyond normal, if support is needed then I am sure he will always lend a hand.

Couple of points, which sound cards will you be selling, pure curiosity.

I see you sell the resettable fuses which is great, but which would you recommend for an RX65 pulling about 2.0A on 16.3 volts? I am currently using the 30V one as I thought it just might keep popping a 16V one.

All the best for your venture Rik.

Steve
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Johnnie2sheds
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Johnnie2sheds » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:31 am

As a fan of these units :) All I can say is good luck ge_rik

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:57 am

-steves-:115419 wrote:I can vouch for Rik's support already, having been in communication with him regarding Deltang equipment and he has always been super helpful, I mean beyond normal, if support is needed then I am sure he will always lend a hand.
Thanks Steve. Very kind of you. Always willing to help if I can
-steves-:115419 wrote: Couple of points, which sound cards will you be selling, pure curiosity.
Nothing definite as yet, but Alan Bond is developing a soundcard specifically for me to sell.
-steves-:115419 wrote: I see you sell the resettable fuses which is great, but which would you recommend for an RX65 pulling about 2.0A on 16.3 volts? I am currently using the 30V one as I thought it just might keep popping a 16V one.
I'd say the 2.5A 30v one would probably be about right especially as you're using 16.3v
-steves-:115419 wrote:
All the best for your venture Rik.

Steve
Thanks Steve. To be honest it's quite exciting but also a bit scary. Giving free support and advice in one thing but moving over to selling stuff is quite outside my comfort zone having spent my life in public service as a teacher -but that was in the olden days when children were regarded as pupils or students rather then customers.....

Rik
------------------------

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:17 am

Good luck with the new venture. It looks like you are off to a good start with a very nice website.

I have a fair amount of experience running a small business and it can be very rewarding. If you ever find you need an online shop with more features, I can recommend EKM Powershop. I have used them for 8 years and it is quite affordable at £25 per month. Actually, the lack of a proper online shop is one of my main gripes with small scale vendors (and even a few larger ones). It's not hard to do and is very affordable. Happy to help anyone wishing to get started with EKM.

One small suggestion: Make it obvious to customers taking a quick look at the website that the controllers work for both steam and electric locomotives.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:03 pm

Busted Bricks:115423 wrote:Good luck with the new venture. It looks like you are off to a good start with a very nice website.

I have a fair amount of experience running a small business and it can be very rewarding. If you ever find you need an online shop with more features, I can recommend EKM Powershop. I have used them for 8 years and it is quite affordable at £25 per month. Actually, the lack of a proper online shop is one of my main gripes with small scale vendors (and even a few larger ones). It's not hard to do and is very affordable. Happy to help anyone wishing to get started with EKM.

One small suggestion: Make it obvious to customers taking a quick look at the website that the controllers work for both steam and electric locomotives.
Thanks for that - very helpful.
I don't think my turnover at the moment would warrant £25pm investment, but maybe if things expand.

I'll look into enhancing the info about supporting live steam operation. It's not an area with which I have a lot of first hand experience (as yet), but I know quite a few people who are using Deltang gear successfully with their live steamers.

Rik
------------------------

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:45 pm

Excellent! As soon as I get round to building my first siding, and shunting becomes a possibility, I shall be ordering the necessary Deltang kit from you to RC my HGLW loco...

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:15 pm

Rik,
My best wishes for your venture. The website looks very professional and comprehensive.

It's a pity that I bought what I currently need direct from David just before Christmas, but I'll come to you next time.

You asked for suggestions for possible product range extensions, may I suggest adding small male/female connectors to your accessories list?
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:52 am

Well my Tx and Rx arrived in the post this morning after being dispatched only yesterday.   Thanks Rik for your excellent service and communication.
Just off now to install it in one of my locos......  if I can remember where I left the Crow Bar and Lump Hammer??????
Last edited by Peter Butler on Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:10 pm

From my personal experience of building an E-Commerce website (okay, I got a free template and adapted it), I can say your wesbite certainly looks professional and well built.

I wish you well in your venture and you have filled a gap in the market, if I ever get round to scratchbuilding a loco you'll certainly be on my list to look at :thumbright:
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:51 pm

philipy:115428 wrote:Rik,
You asked for suggestions for possible product range extensions, may I suggest adding small male/female connectors to your accessories list?
Thanks for that idea - I'll look into it

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:58 pm

Result!!!!! I don't know where to begin.... the Rx has been installed in two of my locos to test the effectiveness of different component motors and batteries in the system. The control over these locos is just amazing, particularly for their slow running. The 'inertia' control is something I thought I would not use but it adds to the skill level in controlling a train to stop at any given point. I ordered the first Rx to convince myself, and it works so well that all of my locos will now be fitted.
Thanks Rik, you have a great product which is the answer to all my needs, with potential for more, and deserves to succeed in the ever expanding Garden Railway market.

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:55 pm

This is not meant as the blatant ad it may appear but I started the way you have using the paypal buttons, very nice site you've built by the way, but soon found that its better to have a proper ecommerce site which generates invoices and keeps records of sales etc in a user friendly way. If you look at my shop there is a link to the freewebstore site. Its only free if you have less that 15 products (you have to pay for more than 15) FIRC but you can have many variations of each product so its quite easy to keep it free.
Its worth haveing a play to see what it can do and i'd be happy to help if you have any problems....
http://shop.5inchrail.com/
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:31 am

Peter Butler:115460 wrote:Result!!!!!   I don't know where to begin....  the Rx has been installed in two of my locos to test the effectiveness of different component motors and batteries in the system.   The control over these locos is just amazing, particularly for their slow running.  The 'inertia' control is something I thought I would not use but it adds to the skill level in controlling a train to stop at any given point.  I ordered the first Rx to convince myself, and it works so well that all of my locos will now be fitted.
Thanks Rik, you have a great product which is the answer to all my needs, with potential for more, and deserves to succeed in the ever expanding Garden Railway market.
Thanks Peter
I'm so glad you liked the transmitter. What attracted me to the Deltang system was the quality of the control which it offers - I really enjoy slow running and shunting operations on my railway.

Unfortunately, the supply of the Rx65b receivers seems to have dried up for now. I just tried ordering top-up supplies from David at Deltang but he tells me his back-up stocks have been cleared and it will be several weeks before he gets fresh supplies from China. Hopefully by the the Spring (and the running season), stocks will be refreshed.

Rik
------------------------