RC Trains now open for business

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:38 am

Thanks for letting us know the situation Rik, I will wait until you have stock as I am just gathering bits for my next project. The loco is on back order too.
Regards Graham.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:46 pm

And I am more than happy to wait too Rik, I always pick carefully who I deal with and I prefer keeping my custom with reliable people. :D
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:39 am

Hi Rik,

If i was to order a wired Rx65, would you be able to reprogram it do the shuttle mode for me, and perhaps supply a suitable reed switch?

Ta

Ben
'Professional Bodge artist '

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:58 pm

Maple:115949 wrote:Hi Rik,

If i was to order a wired Rx65, would you be able to reprogram it do the shuttle mode for me, and perhaps supply a suitable reed switch?

Ta

Ben
Sure, no problem, Ben

I'll PM you

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:55 am

Lucky me.....

Well I today got my first RC Trains TX24. I love this compared to the Deltang version, which was although practical leaves you with having to remember what each function does, which is fine for me, but if I let someone else borrow it they don't know.

As you can see below, Rik at RC Trains has managed to overcome this and present you with a professional retail looking TX at a very good price. Obviously the functions are the same but as you can see Rik has added an additional button for me on channel 7 which I use for sound on/off on some of my loco's. I also love the red dials on the cream background, but most of all, I love the battery compartment at the back, something which was lacking on the original.

All I can say is a big well done Rik and I look forward to seeing more of your items come to market.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:09 pm

Thanks Steve
So glad you like the tx. After nearly three years using the Tx22, I tried to add the things I wished the original had without sacrificing its virtues such as compact size.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:49 pm

Btw
I said I'd let you know when I had fresh stocks of receivers.
Now replenished

Rik
------------------------

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed May 04, 2016 10:54 am

Hi Rik,

Is it possible to operate servo's using the TX22 transmitter and a deltang receiver?
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed May 04, 2016 12:08 pm

BaBBLR:117842 wrote:Hi Rik,

Is it possible to operate servo's using the TX22 transmitter and a deltang receiver?
If you use the RX-102 then they are a simple plug in. Its what I use with a TX24 for live steam engines.

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Wed May 04, 2016 12:29 pm

Just done it myself, works great :)
'Professional Bodge artist '

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 04, 2016 12:42 pm

The previous responses say it all - not just in theory but also in practice.

I'm thinking of supplying a transmitter which is better suited to live steam models, let me know if you are interested.

Rik
------------------------

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed May 04, 2016 12:46 pm

ge_rik:117845 wrote:

The previous responses say it all - not just in theory but also in practice.

I'm thinking of supplying a transmitter which is better suited to live steam models, let me know if you are interested.

Rik
Thanks all for the responses. It was being able to ditch the lump of Tx for my steam engines that appealed Rik. If you need a guinea pig to trial one, Im in! :)
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri May 06, 2016 8:37 am

I will be doing this very shortly with one of Rik's TX 24's and an RX102. Once I get the chance to swap it all over linkage wise I will post up how it goes. ;)

merlin2
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by merlin2 » Sun May 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Hi Rik,

First let me say, albeit belatedly, good luck with your venture.
I have studied your web pages and have a couple of questions if you don't mind (the questions are preceded by background info).
We have four live steam locos currently fitted with Saturn 2.4gHz RC gear using 2 Tx's (2 locos on one Tx and 2 on the other - yes they are his and hers!); will your Tx's bind to a Saturn Rx, or are the coding protocols (if that is the correct term) different?
I have in stock a GRS body kit and an Otto chassis which I am intending to build as a battery powered loco. The (5) track powered locos are controlled via a 'Train Engineer'. If I have understood your info correctly I should be able to fit RCT Rx's to all of the 'electric' locos, irrespective of power source? However, would I be correct in assuming that a Rx can only be bound to a single 'Selecta' Tx, i.e two different Tx's could not be bound to the same Rx to provide operational flexibility? I am pretty certain that I know what that answer will be -no you can't, but it may answer somebody else's question. That's it - thanks.
Merlin

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 15, 2016 11:00 pm

Hi Merlin
I'll address your questions in turn
merlin2:118041 wrote: will your Tx's bind to a Saturn Rx, or are the coding protocols (if that is the correct term) different?
I'm afraid your suspicions are correct. The two systems are not compatible. The RCT/Deltang system uses Spektrum DSM2 which is not the same as that used by Saturn
merlin2:118041 wrote: If I have understood your info correctly I should be able to fit RCT Rx's to all of the 'electric' locos, irrespective of power source?
Yes, that's correct to some extent. The RCT rxs can cope with anything between 3.5v and 18v. If your track power is 22v or 24v, then you will have problems. The Rxs can be constructed with components which will take higher voltages, but they will have to be a special order.
merlin2:118041 wrote: However, would I be correct in assuming that a Rx can only be bound to a single 'Selecta' Tx, i.e two different Tx's could not be bound to the same Rx to provide operational flexibility? I am pretty certain that I know what that answer will be -no you can't, but it may answer somebody else's question. That's it - thanks.
Yes, you're right. Each Rx is bound to a specific Tx or to a specific Selecta ' channel'. You can't bind an rx to a more than one Tx (or selecta channel).

However, there is a feature called 'TxChange' which can be enabled on the Rxs which allows them to controlled by more than one Tx22. I've not played with it myself so can't comment on how flexible it is. If you are interested I could do some experiments.

Sorry, looks like RCT gear is not going to be able to meet all your needs.

Rik
------------------------

merlin2
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by merlin2 » Mon May 16, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi Rik,

Many thanks for coming back to me so promptly and for the info.

Still gives me food for thought for the future though. At the moment every thing is working (now that'll be the kiss-of-death!) but future conversion to RCT equipment is not unlikely. The max track voltage is 16v so no issues there.

The first candidates are likely to be my wife's 2 loco's, as she doesn't like the aircraft type Tx, which raises another question which occured to me after I had sent the previous message. The Merlin, which as you know, uses a single control valve for direction and steam admittance which I can see would operate from a Tx using the rotary control in centre off mode. However, her RH loco, of course, has a 2 channel requirement for reversing lever and regulator. The reverser I assume would be operated from a function switch, but ideally would require the speed control to be from stop to stop. To avoid having to re-program the Tx each time, would I be right in thinking that the regulator could use centre off to, logically, full clockwise, albeit with less fine control?

Thanks again
Cheers,
Mike
Merlin

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 16, 2016 6:52 pm

merlin2:118093 wrote:Hi Rik,

Many thanks for coming back to me so promptly and for the info.

Still gives me food for thought for the future though. At the moment every thing is working (now that'll be the kiss-of-death!) but future conversion to RCT equipment is not unlikely. The max track voltage is 16v so no issues there.

The first candidates are likely to be my wife's 2 loco's, as she doesn't like the aircraft type Tx, which raises another question which occured to me after I had sent the previous message. The Merlin, which as you know, uses a single control valve for direction and steam admittance which I can see would operate from a Tx using the rotary control in centre off mode. However, her RH loco, of course, has a 2 channel requirement for reversing lever and regulator. The reverser I assume would be operated from a function switch, but ideally would require the speed control to be from stop to stop. To avoid having to re-program the Tx each time, would I be right in thinking that the regulator could use centre off to, logically, full clockwise, albeit with less fine control?

Thanks again
Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike
You can set up an individual receiver to use the full span of a servo. All you (or she) would need to do is remember which loco uses the speed knob 'centre off' and which uses the speed knob 'low off'.

I do produce a Tx with a potentiometer in place of the direction switch - which would be a lot gentler on the reverser mechanism. It's not (yet) featured on the website but I have made them for customers by special request.

Rik
------------------------

merlin2
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by merlin2 » Tue May 17, 2016 5:34 pm

Many thanks Rik. All info now copied and safely stored for future ref.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Cheers,
Mike
Merlin

Howardws
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Howardws » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:46 pm

Some time ago I bought a Tx22 (and other bits) from Rik and a couple of days ago I finally unpacked it and found that it had a small problem with a component. Rik advised me to return it which I did and I've already had the postage refunded and the repaired controller is on it's way back to me. An excellent service I feel.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:28 am

Howardws:118449 wrote:Some time ago I bought a Tx22 (and other bits) from Rik and a couple of days ago I finally unpacked it and found that it had a small problem with a component. Rik advised me to return it which I did and I've already had the postage refunded and the repaired controller is on it's way back to me. An excellent service I feel.
Thanks Howard
I suppose, being a fellow modeller, I know how frustrating it can be when you are waiting for something to arrive so I like to turn things around as quickly as I can.

Hope we get some more decent weather soon so you can get back out into the garden.

Rik
------------------------