Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by rebelego » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:35 am

Arctic Orient Light Express :D

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:40 am

I think I am going to stick with the Norwegian theme for now, and keep an 'Irish Train' for a change of pace every now and again.  The pairings of 17/32nd and 15mm, and 15mm and 16mm scales are close enough that I do not feel too uncomfortable mixing them for buildings etc..  However, I don't like mixing 17/32nd with 16mm in most cases 1 to 19 and 1 to 22.5 are just a little too far apart for me, though others can mix the two without a second thought.  Three foot gauge stock with a coupling height of 24/25mm* looks silly to me, except perhaps for some very small vehicles such as the Schull and Skibbereen four wheelers.  The only 'inconvenience' will be that it will have to be either an Irish night or a Norwegian night if I go with Norwegian 750mm gauge, but not if I go with CAP gauge which would have the same buffer height as 15mm scale/3' gauge.

Of course, I am now contemplating Calthrop re-equipping an Irish line - of which he is very critical in 'Light Railway Construction.'  I can imagine him having Leeds Forge build a standard four wheel wagon weighing 4 tons and carrying 12, or a bogie van weighing 7 and carrying 25 - and acidly noting that they are 'bigger than any vehicles used on the broad gauge in Ireland apart from a few tubular steel wagons leased by the WL&WR in the early 1890s!'

Peter in AZ

* - scale buffer heights for Irish three foot lines range from 28mm for the Ballymena and Larne, and the C&VBT, through to (IIRC) 42.5mm for the County Donegal, with the TDLR, WCR, C&L, Muskerry, S&S, and the pre-NCC Ballycastle all being either 2'2" or 2'3", which scales out at 33-34mm.  The Isle of Man Railway is another 2'3" line, which is why F21 nearly ended up on the Blennerville operation.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.