Viaduct - Seemed like a good idea at the time

What is your latest project?
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Viaduct - Seemed like a good idea at the time

Post by ge_rik » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:37 pm

I started this project about two years ago. "I'll build a lightweight viaduct to span the entrance to the patio", thought I.

Framework from plywood, stone blocks from balsa (a la Peter Jones). Well it's taken a bit of time but I'm now on the home straight. Approx 2200 individually cut and shaped blocks applied so far ....

I've calculated that I've got only around another 1500 to go.

The balsa will be treated with Wet Rot Hardener which turns soft wood into something resembling hard plastic. I'm just a bit concerned about the so-called 'exterior' plywood, so I may bring it in during the winter months, deploying it as and when needed.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:56 pm

Wow Rik,

What a lot of work! It's worth it though, it looks so impressive. Living proof that good results can be achieved if the effort is put into making a proper job of things.

The fictional line which I've invented to justify my railway (and which I've now produced a gradient profile and cut and fill diagram for) doesn't require a viaduct. I quite fancy one but I just cant't work one into the line without disproportionate and unjustifiable earthworks. The Charnwood hills just aren't that undulating.

Looking at all the work you've put in and the hours it's taken I'm not sure I'm sorry any more that I've had to pass on the idea!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:29 pm

Soar Valley Light:112667 wrote: The fictional line which I've invented to justify my railway (and which I've now produced a gradient profile and cut and fill diagram for) doesn't require a viaduct. I quite fancy one but I just can't work one into the line without disproportionate and unjustifiable earthworks. The Charnwood hills just aren't that undulating.
Andrew
Hi Andrew
The real-life location in which my fictional railway is set would also not require a viaduct (or a swing bridge come to that), so I can't really justify their inclusion. However, I'm using an ultra-large pinch of modellers' licence to create these bridges to span gaps in my garden - the access to the patio and access to the shed where I keep the trailer tent. Rather than using planks, I thought I'd make them into something a bit more interesting.

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:00 pm

OMG!!!! that is some structure you have there. It looks wonderful even in its unfinished state. Please keep us up to date with the ongoing build, it's worth the wait.
As for the trailer tent in the shed..... perhaps a more permanent solid structure would be the best solution?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:55 am

Thanks for the positive feedback, folks. It's taken about two years so far, but hopefully now I'm on the home straight it won't take quite so long.
Peter Butler:112670 wrote: Please keep us up to date with the ongoing build, it's worth the wait.
I've done a test-run with the technique on a stone embankment for the SM32 feeder for the copper mine. So far it seems to have survived the 'summer' weather. This structure will be out all year so I'll find out how it will fare.

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:20 am

The wall section looks great Rik but there seems to be a texture to the surface which I would not expect to see from balsa.
How is that done please?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:58 am

Peter Butler:112681 wrote:The wall section looks great Rik but there seems to be a texture to the surface which I would not expect to see from balsa.
How is that done please?
Highly technical, Peter.
I jab the point of a small cross-head screwdriver into the balsa blocks after they've been grouted.

I'm a glutton for punishment - each block gets around 20 jabs with the screwdriver ....... Not found a way of automating that process, yet.

There's an account of how I did the embankment here: http://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... kment.html

Rik
------------------------

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:51 pm

ge_rik:112685 wrote: I'm a glutton for punishment - each block gets around 20 jabs with the screwdriver ....... Not found a way of automating that process, yet.
Very impressive stonework. The buildings in the background look good as well.

Have you tried a pounce wheel to texture the block faces? Although with the commercial ones you may need to blunt the teeth a bit to get a dent rather than a hole.

It occurs to me you might be able to get pseudo random divots by filing teeth on several washers and mounting them with spacers on an axle. That way the tool would do a row of blocks in one pass.

Still rather you than me though.......... ;)

Graeme

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:07 pm

...and they say fitting rivets is repetitive and boring.... Ha!
I love to see this kind of thought and detail which makes an otherwise plain looking wall something special. Well done Rik, keep leading and we will follow.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:48 pm

Peter Butler:112690 wrote:...and they say fitting rivets is repetitive and boring.... Ha!
I love to see this kind of thought and detail which makes an otherwise plain looking wall something special.  Well done Rik, keep leading and we will follow.
In that case, Peter, I think we are destined to go around in circles - I'm also following you .... :D

Rik
------------------------

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:03 pm

I'm following both of you so I dread to think where that puts me!

I love high tech solutions by the way! :lol:
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:46 pm

Crumbs that is some project! Marvelous stuff.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:03 am

Could you not pound it with a stiff wire brush?

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:22 am

pippindoo:112704 wrote:Could you not pound it with a stiff wire brush?
I was going to suggest that as well.
I used a brand new steel wire brush to achieve a similar effect on foam 'stones'. Does need to be a new one so that the wires are all still pointing straight, though!
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:15 am

philipy:112705 wrote:
pippindoo:112704 wrote:Could you not pound it with a stiff wire brush?
I was going to suggest that as well.
I used a brand new steel wire brush to achieve a similar effect on foam 'stones'. Does need to be a new one so that the wires are all still pointing straight, though!
Thanks chaps, will give it a try ..

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:21 am

GTB:112688 wrote:
Have you tried a pounce wheel to texture the block faces? Although with the commercial ones you may need to blunt the teeth a bit to get a dent rather than a hole.

It occurs to me you might be able to get pseudo random divots by filing teeth on several washers and mounting them with spacers on an axle. That way the tool would do a row of blocks in one pass.

Still rather you than me though.......... ;)

Graeme
Thanks Graeme
I wasn't familiar with this gadget - am now. I was thinking that some sort of miniature lawn aerator would do the job - this is somewhat similar.

Rik
------------------------

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:11 pm

ge_rik:112709 wrote: I wasn't familiar with this gadget - am now. I was thinking that some sort of miniature lawn aerator would do the job - this is somewhat similar.
What's a lawn aerator? I cut the grass around here with a sprayer filled with Roundup.........

I was thinking of something like a miniature star wheel dresser, used for trueing up grinding wheels.

That sort of stonework was used for structures on the first mainlines, but bridges on the narrow gauge lines were all timber to cut costs. Well within my patience and capabilities. ;)

Regards,
Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:28 pm

GTB:112743 wrote: What's a lawn aerator?
GTB:112743 wrote: That sort of stonework was used for structures on the first mainlines, but bridges on the narrow gauge lines were all timber to cut costs.
Don't tell me that now :cry: ;)

Rik
------------------------

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:49 pm

ge_rik:112749 wrote:
Looks like something from the dungeon under the Tower of London. What did the lawn do to deserve that........
GTB:112743 wrote: That sort of stonework was used for structures on the first mainlines, but bridges on the narrow gauge lines were all timber to cut costs.
Don't tell me that now :cry:  ;)
Apologies, I forgot to indicate I was talking about the Victorian Railways, which is my interest...... :oops:

Given your interest in the Southwold line, have you ever considered a girder bridge like the one over the Blyth for spanning a wide gap like a path?

I've seen some interesting articles on building truss bridge spans with aluminium extrusions, but I'm still trying to find a reason why my line might have used anything more elaborate than wooden trestles and a secondhand plate girder span.

Regards,
Graeme

Boustrophedon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Boustrophedon » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:04 pm

Looks lovely. I will need to build one. I was thinking more along the lines of shuttering and poured concrete; is there a commercial product that I can face the inside of the shuttering with to cast a brick or stone effect?