Project Raspberry

What is your latest project?
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:44 pm

The final part of the puzzle

Well done to invicta280 for correctly guessing. I am re-visiting my experiments with air brakes by fitting up River Deben for air brake opperation.

The tank is an air reservoir, the valve is the train brake valve (On, Off and lap - off connects the reservoir to the train brakes, on lets the air out of the train brakes), the hoses are for the air brakes and the westinghouse pump works (although not terribly reliably at the moment), I have yet to test the pump on steam yet but it runs well on 30-15psi compressed air so things are looking hopeful!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:02 pm

Bit late replying to this one, however, surely it is a replica model pipe as smoked by the fisherman dude in the game Monkey Island II and all the other pictures are just 'red herrings'? ;)

Looking forward to seeing this in operation Zach.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:59 pm

The final bit - getting the pump to work. A very rough video of the moment I stumbled upon the working configuration. Please excuse the video - I was quite excited!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo0JGLTi7zI
(to build)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:14 pm

You have put a lot of effort into that and it looks promising... looking forward to seeing it in action now!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:37 pm

A little time has elapsed to say the least! Mainly because I managed to loose the pump! I was rather angry with myself for loosing it - it must have fallen down as it was found in the soil of a ground level flowerbed by the Mother 8 months later
I've overhauled it and changed the arrangement of the NRVs so that it doesn't leak back anymore. The compressor can raise 10psi in the res and can then be switched off without the res pressure decreasing (to save steam). The brakes can be taken off about 3 times (depending on the length of the train) with 10psi so that's enough for me!
Just need a few final bits now. Another gauge (so I can have one for the brakes and one for the Res which will looks really good when you do a brake application and all the needles move)

Also I am waiting for a steam valve from Macc models. I need to make up a manifold for River Deben (so I can put loads more valves and whatnots on in the future)
(to build)

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:23 am

Very impressive. Eagerly anticipating the action video.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:21 pm

We've been rather busy down at Snape Street Works. River Deben is nearly all fitted up now with the nessesary equipment. I think its worked out reasonably neat considering the very large amount of pipework necessary! She is due for a stratford works overhaul and will, at some point, be receiving full GER blue (inc. wheels) with lining. The cab shape is similar to an early GER tank loco, the westinghouse is on the correct side for GER locos.

An over view - obvious is the steam feed pipe for the compressor.

The new cab layout - I've still got to fit a whistle valve in somewhere - the pressure gauges will, eventually, be fitted to a small wooden board against the spectacle plate. The new valve is the steam supply to the pump.

Here's the pump all plumbed in, from top to bottom: Steam feed, Steam exhaust, compressed air out. There is a tiny hole in the bottom which is the air inlet.

The new view from the front. Oh I love a-symetry!

]Image

A little view at the gubbins. The white is insulation from the firebox. From top to bottom the horizontal pipes are, roughly:
Steam feed to pump.
Resevoir line - the pump feeds directly into the reservoir (at the back under the cab) via a large propriety Non return valve (they are better than any I could make and a seal is critical)
Brake line - this connects the brake standards fore and aft of the loco. The driver's brake handle lets some air out of the res into the brake line in the "OFF" position. In the "LAP" position everything is sealed. In the "ON" position the brake line evacuates to atmosphere and the res line is sealed.

So there we are. Project raspberry is nearly, after nearly 9 years of experimentation, complete.
(to build)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:16 am

Magnificent work, Zach. The sort of hands-on pioneering work which would have made my hero, George (Stephenson), proud.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube