What is your latest project?
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

7/8ths wagons

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:35 pm

So this was the start of my first 7/8ths wagon last year:

The axle boxes are sprung :)

After a long break I started on the second one today. The idea with these wagons is they have been re-gauged from a larger railway hence why they look big with Chaloner but will look right with my larger Accucraft Baldrig:

The couplings will be under slung shackle and hook with dumb buffers (purely because it's cheap) :)

I would appreciate suggestions as to what to load onto them. I originally thought about some sort of tank, however, the Swift Sixteen offering is too long.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun May 03, 2015 6:23 pm

This is what the buffer and under slung hook will look like once fitted to both wagons:

Bill/Rubery
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Bill/Rubery » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:12 pm

Hello T.T. You could buy 35mm plastic waste water pipe and have the wagons carrying a sewage? pipe load??! The flat buffer on your wagon may cause buffer locking if going round tight bends. You may consider a buffer with a half moon curve to the face...these can be knocked up cheaply. I replaced the buffers on my 7/8" scale rolling stock with one's like that. Doing them myself saved me over seventy pounds over buying them!
Regards, Bill/Rubery

www.amalgamatedconserves.org.uk

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:04 pm

Glad someone actually found this interesting ;)

I noticed your locos from SMT articles Bill, you have a good attitude to freelance modelling.

The flat buffer beam works with no issues as I have very tight curves on my line and I justified fitting them by this picture I found:

Curved ones are more common place I agree but these were easier to make :)

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:03 am

That's interesting about the buffers. What a wonderful reference photo, - I'm going to snaffle that for my archives :D
What has Reality done for you lately?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:33 pm

Looking good!

If you're going for an industrial feel you could just leave them as flats and make lots of interchangeable and interesting loads?

The local youths have recently inhaled a whole boxful of those little laughing gas canisters which they've left lying about empty at the top of the road - I'm thinking of collecting and painting them before adding them to little wooden (coffee stirrer?) crates as a mysterious chemical load. Actually, some have started to rust, which made me think of all the lovely rusty junk which adorns your line...

Cheers,

Andrew.