Winter Build Programme

What is your latest project?
Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Winter Build Programme

Post by Gralyn » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:45 am

The Overdale Valley Light Railway workshops have taken advantage of the winter lull in operations to build up the railways stock of wagons and carriages.

Most are still awaiting the paint shop (the shed) to install some heating to get their final coats of paint.

I have tried some compensation on this van,it is a bit crude but it works

Now back to the shed heating plans.
Regards Graham.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:22 am

You've been busy, only managed a single plank wagon and a shunters truck. I really like the brake van and the compensation.
My efforts with the shunters truck suggest compensation would be a good idea so thanks for posting the picture. The simple solutions are often the best.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:52 am

Loving this:

Makes my laser cut stuff look rubbish :)

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:26 pm

I love the scratch-built wagons. I set out with the intention of scratch-building my own rolling stock but the temptation of kits, plus my lack of ability to look at any actual prototypes, has thwarted that plan.

I have a silly question: What is the "compensation" for, and what does it do?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:02 pm

Lovely models, thanks for the photos... My winter projects are slowly making their way through the paintshop (the kitchen table in my case!) too...

All the best,

Andrew.

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:53 pm

Keith S:109640 wrote:I love the scratch-built wagons. I set out with the intention of scratch-building my own rolling stock but the temptation of kits, plus my lack of ability to look at any actual prototypes, has thwarted that plan.

I have a silly question: What is the "compensation" for, and what does it do?
Compensation is probably OTT in sm32 as it is to compensate for misaligned/uneven track usually in OO gauge and O 7mm scale. One pair of wheels are fixed, the other pair are able to rock from side to side
allowing all four wheels to be on the track in situations where with fixed wheels only three wheels would touch the track.

The wagons and large brake van are freelance. The small guards wagon was taken from photographs and video of th Pedarn Railway.
Regards Graham.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:51 pm

Gralyn:109649 wrote: Compensation is probably OTT in sm32 as it is to compensate for misaligned/uneven track usually in OO gauge and O 7mm scale. One pair of wheels are fixed, the other pair are able to rock from side to side
allowing all four wheels to be on the track in situations where with fixed wheels only three wheels would touch the track.
Neatly done!

I'd say compensation can be really useful in 16mm especially for four-wheelers with a longish wheelbase. I used to have all manner of problems with my railmotor - tried all sorts of combinations of wheel-sets until I realised the actual problem was with some of my shoddy tracklaying - well track does 'settle' doesn't it? I did something similar with the front wheels of the power car and the trailer and now they're really reliable - as I hope this little video testifies.

http://youtu.be/4d4NtVFDfR8

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:15 pm

[- as I hope this little video testifies.

http://youtu.be/4d4NtVFDfR8

Rik[/quote]

Pictures replace a thousand Words.
Regards Graham.