the cottages

What is your latest project?
jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

the cottages

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:08 pm

iv decided to build some cottages these are done in the same way iv done many of my buildings I cut out the buildings and they are screwed together I then siliconed the joints in the inside and the whole thing was given a good coat of pva.The roof iv done a little different to help protect the building more it is covered with lagging tape that is used for covering joints on celetx. I also covered the bottom of the wood and the joints inside the building with the lagging tape its very waterproof and sticks like s#it .next I roughly marked out the doors windows etc .the cottages im making are sort of modelled on a lot I see iv villages near me they are very small and often have odd shape windows doors etc .lots more pva and basa wood applied with more layers and layers of pva and then it starts to look like stonework.im going to paint the windows on and I may put a little outside light above the doors.the buildings where then given a coat of exterior paint

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:23 pm

That's looking interesting - it'll be good to see the (more) finished article.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:42 pm

I will post some more pics tomorrow iv given the buildings another coat of paint tonight and will give them another tomorrow after work .im still unsure what to do with the roofs on the buildings yet but they will probably be made to look like roof tiles/slates out of card

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:23 am

looks very good Jim.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:42 am

I do like the stonework technique. Can the cardboard be waterproofed enough? After all your taping of the joints would plasticard or plastic formed sheets be a better bet? I've got 4 minaco vacuum formed tiling sheets here if you want them. They measure 14" by 10". Only drawback is I'm off to mother in law's shortly so can't post immediately.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:07 am

Iv made it waterproof before on another building all the wood was offcuts from work so was free. Thank you for the offer of the sheets but I'm not sure what to use for the roof yet.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:03 pm

a few more layers and layers of paint and starting too look a bit different

its a bit hard to get good photos but very chuffed with how the stonework looks going to paint some darker colours in to the stone work next

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:11 pm

iv put some darker colours on and sponged them in and on the stone work to help highlight and bring out the stones

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:12 pm

iv painted the stonework and rubbed in some dark colours and dry brushed on some white iv also started the roof on one of the buildings .this is done using card cut to size then glued on

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:45 pm

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:46 pm

I trust this is going to turn up on the Model of the Year table at Peterborough in April..............................
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:13 pm

I don't think it's quite good enough for that

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:21 pm

I think that with the pictures you have taken and a written description of how it's been done, they're making a very important point that one can do this sort of thing with limited materials.

We do have a loan section for models of interest, you know..................
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:00 pm

its easy techniques to do and very cheap too. its also very very strong model.The techniques iv used are mostly taken from peter jones book and a few of my own none of it is very hard to do it jest takes a bit of time and a lot of patience .I may display it at peterbrough if I get time and il put a description on how it was done

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:23 pm

That's fine - just paraphrase what you've already written, with slightly fewer pictures and that will make in interesting display. If you could build another one with sections left unfinished (ie going from raw wood at one end to finished at the other) this would be a very good visual way of illustrating the process and would save a lot of words: besides, you could finish it properly afterwards!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:32 pm

a few more pics from tonight more windows painted and doors hopefully il finish the roof tomorrow after work

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:37 pm

unfortunately my other half has jest informed me we are going to Birmingham the Saturday of the show at peterbrough so I wont be able to bring these models too show

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:00 pm

iv cut cardboard slates and glued them on with pva the cardboard is the sort from the back of note pads its good and soaks up whatever you put on it (again this is a tip from peter jones book)the slates are painted with knotting this is the stuff you put on knots on wood to stop them bleeding through the paint its very strange stuff and quite sticky.a tip here is to put the knotting in a tub on hot water it will be less thick and easier too paint on. it was painted with a few coats then left to dry this should waterproof the card then I will paint it with a coat of black paint .iv made the slates look uneven and not straight etc on purpose to give it an aged look

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:50 pm

more paint added starting too look quite good

going to leave this to dry tonight and see what it looks like in the morning got 1 more roof too paint/weatherproof and then they can go outside

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:55 pm

quite chuffed with these cottages they haven't taken too long to make jest over a week of a few hours each night and haven't had too spend a lot