ruined coal mine

What is your latest project?
jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

ruined coal mine

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:24 pm

iv decided a ruined coal mine would look good on my line.iv used left over wood from work the stonework is done the (peter jones method) this involves snapping off bits of basa wood gluing them on with pva then lots and lots of layers of glue after this I painted it with exterior house paint .I then mixed up lots of different colour paints of greens and darker shades and painted and sponged it on .its a ruin so I wanted it to look old and disused as possible the roof is bake been cans and this is made too look like its collapsed. the roof should rust up quite quick with a bit of help from the weather and some salt washing up liquid.iv stated to make the pit wheel and winding gear.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:39 pm

That's looking something like - I think you might JUST have overdone the roof a little but that'll also look better when it's gone rusty.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:48 pm

it will soon rust looks very shinny now and its a collapsed roof on an old building so its meant to look a bit dramatic after a few weeks outside and some washing up liquid and some salt it will rust and look a lot different .im still building the pit wheel and winding gear and will post some pictures up as im building it and will try not to OVER DO ANYTHINK

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:55 pm

Ooozeing with interest and character. Where are you putting all these lovely buildings?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:06 am

thank you mr bond.there going in the garden so will weather more with the wind rain snow etc .the pit wheel etc is jest as big as this building so will look quite dramatic on the side of my railway with a few nice stones rocks and some coal ashs from a fire and some more rusty bits of tin its going to look pretty good I think 90 per cent of my buildings have all been made in roughly the same way and so far there doing well some outside for 2 years with no problem other than a quick spray paint of a few roofs that need a bit of smarting up

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:45 am

Wow, from the first pictures i would of never imagined by the time i got to the bottom it would of turned out as good as it looks, well done!, is it fairly weather proof i presume?
Steam is highly under rated

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:59 am

Looks impressive. Be interested to see what it looks like in situ.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:32 am

Inspirational!

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:50 am

Thanks for all the comments. The building should last outside no problem it's all very waterproof.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:21 am

Real nice. Would look good out in the snow :)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:44 am

Nice work Jim, the finish certainly belies the nature of the materials used. I am particularly impressed with the close-up picture of the stone effect, and your paint finish looks just right!
I guess the PVA is the waterproof variety?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:44 am

thank you all for the comments .The PVA is some I picked up from the builders merchant got a massive tub as long as you buy decent PVA it will be fine outside no real need to use waterproof PVA in my opinion its all painted over anyway . at work iv used PVA to seal brickwork concrete slabs etc and always used builders pva and never had any trouble.i know some people like to use waterproof pva on there buildings so each to there own.iv used this method of stonework on a number of my buildings and it works well you jest have to build up the layers and be patient on the last few layers you have to let it hassel ie dry off a bit then go over it with the brush in the direction of the stones if that makes sense .I made a pub using the same method http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7648.html

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:54 pm

Hi Jim,

That's an impressive piece of work. There are techniques there which need noting down for future reference. Thanks for sharing them.

I have to say I've worked at pits which were still turning but quite resembled what you've created!

Just a thought but have you considered adding a derelict Lancashire boiler at the back of the chimney? They were often outside in a Dutch barn type affair, it might add another dimension of reality. Of course, the boiler may be gone but the mountings and pipework still there. As I say, just a thought.

Keep up the good work and the supply of information and photos.

:thumbright:
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:08 pm

thank you for all the comments .The boiler idea sounds brilliant having a bit of trouble finding good pictures of where the boiler would of been situated

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:18 pm

Nice job Jim. I look forwards to seeing it finished.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:21 pm

That's the first time I've seen that technique and it turns out mighty fine stone walling. Thanks for sharing and a picture on site would be nice.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:55 pm

bazzer42:107069 wrote:That's the first time I've seen that technique and it turns out mighty fine stone walling.  Thanks for sharing and a picture on site would be nice.
Yeah, more pics. :shock:

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:23 pm

thank you again for all the comments a bit more progress tonight the pit wheel has been started its an old kids bike wheels going to spray it tomorrow going to gave it a coat of red first and then matt black so it will look rusty and old

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:28 pm

im also going to strip the bike tomorrow of the cables chain and there are two small wheels that where stabilizers im going to use these as bits that have fallen / been taken off the winding gear over the years ..

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:40 pm

Wow, looks superb and some great ingenuity there, well done!
Steam is highly under rated