Taking off into 7/8 ( or 1:13,3)

What is your latest project?
St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Taking off into 7/8 ( or 1:13,3)

Post by St.Michael » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi all.
After a long time of thinking, planning (and dreamining) I´m now taking my first, trembling steps into a bigger scale :shock:
As I have mentioned earlier on this forum, a 1:13,3 O&K loco has been ordered. And now I have been recycling some of my LGB-stuff, in order to save some initial costs...
On this first pict of the "new" railway, I´ve built a simple staition with a passing loop and a siding for firing up, or other use. The station is built on a 2m. long aluminium-name plate from my job (we are going to move from the current place) I have drilled some random holes for draining and to, in an easy way beeing able to screw small planks to the base plate. And then it was easy to screw the tracks into the underlaying planking. My two first wagons comes from Swift sixteen

On this pict I´m showing two comparing figures, the right one is in a scale of 1:19 and the other strange looking man is in fact a souvenir my parents bought in Spain, in the beginning of the seventies (Sancho Pançha, if he is familar)  I think he suits the new scale.
I also found out that some of my LGB-wagons can be used as base for other wagons in 7/8  It´s a bit strange to find out that LGB-wagons are bigger than my Swift sixteen-wagons who are produced in 7/8-scale.
This is a first small start, and I would appreciate advices and other ideas on how to continue this  :?:
Regards to you all from Michael

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:18 pm

Looking good. Hey! just an idea, how about loosing every other sleeper to get a bigger sleeper gap. Less mainline see.

If you used a razor saw and cut inside and out beside the rail, flush, you would not degrade the ladder effect of the plastic underneath (i.e. the plastic stability sleepers being tied together still.)

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 am

Steamie 1, thats a real good and simple thing to do. I´m starting right away :D Thank you.
Btw. I´m pondering of what sort of material to use, when I shall fill up the empty space under the tracks.? The best I think is if there is a light weight material that can endure an outdoor clima. Any sugestions?

Mattawa
New User
New User

Post by Mattawa » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:50 am

Good start there .........I'll be watching this project!

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:20 pm

I read in Railway Modeller many years ago of a person using expanding foam that comes in a pressurized can. They squirted the stuff on then when it had set they dug out the railway and sculpted it into the ballast.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:33 pm

I have never heard of this method but would strongly advise against it..... that stuff expands enormously and sticks to everything!
You would spend weeks getting it off things you never intended it to cover and even then it would be a mess.
Before you attempt it try a small section which is disposable, because I think that is what will happen.

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:33 pm

Hi.
I was thinking of using expanding foam, but had second thoughts about it, just like Peter is pointing out. The solution for me will be to use ground isolating foam (the blue ugly kind) I am going to saw it into 10mm thick slices and stick them under the tracks. Then I will cover it all with some kind of gravelmix.
I have done like Steamie suggested and removed every other sleeper, and it gave a remarkable effect. Suddenly the tracks have grown in scale, and also become very industrial 2 foot :D

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:06 pm

I agree with peter that foam is horrid stuff .we call it crazy foam at work

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:51 pm

Sharp sand and cement works a treat in door or out.

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:35 am

Hi again.
Here is an update: I have carried the stationplate outdoors and am now trying it out on it´s intended place. I have also started to try out the connection to my 16mm line.

The station is not built up to its right level yet. The yellow spirit-level indicates the hight of the line
And as always, things that looks big indoors, almost disappears when you place it outdoors :?

Bill/Rubery
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Bill/Rubery » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:07 pm

If your outside the rain drops are not 7/8" scale but real scale and big! A gravel that matches your local stone works well and is not dislodged by rain. Regarding track, most industrial lines had the sleepers covered by dirt and grass. You could do the same to save work. 7/8" scale is a good scale for people with imagination....i.e. building your own stuff or converting it.....take a look at my web site to see what I mean!
Regards, Bill/Rubery

www.amalgamatedconserves.org.uk

Bill/Rubery
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Bill/Rubery » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:09 pm

St. Mick, You really need a good gardener!!
Regards, Bill/Rubery

www.amalgamatedconserves.org.uk

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Its looking good just keep going. Woop Woop!

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:33 pm

I dislike these 7/8ths threads....they tempt me too much
Chris Auckland

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:50 pm

Do it you won't regret it, everything is bigger :)

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:50 am

Hi all. Thank you for good thoughts and replies.. Yes I´m already getting fed up with cutting out every second sleeper, so I´ll go for the nature way and let them dissapear in dirt instead.
St. Mick, You really need a good gardener!!
Bill /Rubery, there are a whole bunch of them trimming the grass arond the house ( four legged with lots of curly white or black hair all over their bodies..)
The station has been rised to its right level, and the connecting line to the 16mm railway is taking shape. Indoors I´m building an IPe coach. In this scale one really get space to work with interior.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:10 am

When are you getting your O&K locomotive from Herrmann? He told me that he was now aiming to have mine ready by December .... :?

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:03 am

Kandnwlr. I'm in no hurry. As you can see on my pictures we are heading towards winter and snow. If I remember the right month, it is april /may -15 that the loco will be delivered. But I understand that you drive trains all year ;) (Actually I was a bit worried that Herrmann had quit buisness, when the webside dissapeared)

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:35 am

St.Michael:105159 wrote:But I understand that you drive trains all year  ;)
You'd need a VERY large snowplough to be able to do that in YOUR part of the world!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:45 am

St.Michael:105159 wrote:Kandnwlr. I'm in no hurry. As you can see on my pictures we are heading towards winter and snow. If I remember the right month, it is april /may -15 that the loco will be delivered. But I understand that you drive trains all year  ;) (Actually I was a bit worried that Herrmann had quit buisness, when the webside dissapeared)
Website is still there. But according to the notice, he´s gone on holiday until the end of the month.

http://www.echtdampfwelt.de/