Thatched cottage - RE-ROOFED

What is your latest project?
philipy

Post by philipy » Tue May 27, 2014 9:36 pm

Peter Butler:101040 wrote:That looks well worth the effort, well done!
Do you think it will stand up to outside weather conditions or do you expect to go through the process each year?
Peter,
Thanks. The simple answer is, I don't know but I hope it will last outside. I certainly don't want to have to redo it annually.

The whole lot has had several coats of thinned waterproof PVA, so I'm hoping it will have penetrated right through and will last a good time. Plus the spot I have planned for it is fairly sheltered so it should be reasonably protected from the worst of things.
Fingers crossed!
Philip

philipy

Thatched Cottage - NOW PLANTED!

Post by philipy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:54 pm

Now well and truly finished, Solstice Cottage is now in place in the garden. Its taken forever to get the last few bits done, partly because of a couple of weeks away on holiday, but I'm really quite pleased with the result.

Philip

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:27 pm

That's great!
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:15 pm

Just brilliant. Really looks the part!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:24 pm

Superb work and a picturesque setting...... love the witch!

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:30 pm

Looks very well!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:57 pm

Nice job and nice setting.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:45 am

Excellent job :D

philipy

Re: Thatched cottage - FINISHED

Post by philipy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:15 pm

I've briefly resurrected this thread because of the brief discussion on Peter Butlers thread about taking buildings in for Winter.
Four and a bit years ago, Peter asked me if I was planning on taking my thatched cottage in or redoing the thatch every year. Well it has been outside in the same spot, through rain, wind, frost and snow since June 2014 and this winter it will be coming in for the first time to re-do the roof. I must admit that last winter it got a bit scruffy and now it has got too bad, but apart from that, although some of the trellis round the door has disappeared it is otherwise intact. ( I think it's the result of the brew in the witches cauldron, which has been bubbling away the whole time!! )

Compare this picture with last one, above.
DSC_0001 small.jpg
DSC_0001 small.jpg (202.19 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:43 pm

The structure of the cottage itself looks to have stood up to the conditions very well, the roof less so! I haven't attempted thatch myself but Just Julie, of this Forum, has used soft sweeping broom bristles, which should stand up to wet weather longer? A picture of her cottage is shown on her thread..... 'Merlin's Castle Line' in the 'Railways and Layouts' section. This was Julie's first attempt so could possibly be adapted?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:53 pm

Thanks Peter. Actually, the roof is structurally sound as far as I can see, the foamboard itself is intact but its the plumbers hemp and glue which has taken a battering. lso, our resident sparrows, dunnocks and robins like to sit on the ridge, which hasn't helped!
I saw Julie's cottage when she posted the pictures, but it's still the glue and weather combination which needs thinking about. I'm playing with the idea of making some sort of GRP type covering - maybe broom bristles or hemp or even chop strand glass, with the GRP resin?
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:57 am

Not a thread that I had seen before Philip - I've just read from the start - a really good job :thumbup:
I wonder if SBR would provide a better adhesive than PVA for the new thatch? The technique you finished up with seems to be a winner.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:47 am

Thanks Phil.
Yes, SBR is on my list of possible options, I used waterproof PVA first time around, but SBR is probably better. I can do it indoors ( well, garage) so no need to worry about covering it while it dries!
I'm still quite keen on the idea of a resin coating to remove the places where water can get and wreak its effect and also remove nooks and crannies which invite the birds to investigate!
Philip

Just Julie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Just Julie » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:53 pm

HI I have only just seen this thread about your thatched cottage, brilliant, and the garden and witch what a great idea. I thought I could have trimmed the broom on the cottage I built to have the proper effect, but it didn't work so I left it as it is. I used waterproof gorilla glue so it will be interesting to see how long it will last. :thumbright:

philipy

Re: Thatched cottage - Re-Roofed

Post by philipy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:21 pm

A few weeks ago I posted about possible methods for re-roofing my thatched cottage. I the end I opted for something completely different to what was discussed, although in essence it's very similar.
Not sure where the idea came from but I actually ended up using artificial grass mat. Ideally I would have liked to use a 'dead grass' colour and much to my surprise I found that you can actually buy brown grass matting ( not sure who would want it?) but the smallest quantity I could get was 2 x 5 metres at an astronomical price and it was a mixture of dark reddish brown and black fibres. I did find one product which was exactly the dried grass colour I was looking for and is apparently available in smallish quantities, unfortunately it was on the website of a company in Quebec! I spent hours searching but couldn't find a similar product available anywhere else, so in the end, I had to go with green grass. Even so it is mainly available as a minimum of 1metre off the roll, but fortunately I found a fleabay seller with offcuts for a tenner.
The drawback with this stuff is that it is mostly polypropylene and as such it doesn't take paint well. Halfords do a Bumper paint which is allegedly suitable for Polypropylene car bumpers, so I degreased and prepped the grass mat as instructed and sprayed it with a dark grey Bumper paint as an undercoat. I also found in Halfords a can described as "Textured Paint Sand", which sounded like a good idea so I gave it a blast of that, and I'm really quite pleased with the result. I should add that I tried all this on a 99pence sample before commiting myself to the actual cottage!

The following pictures show the stages, starting with the wreck of the original roof:
DSC_0002 (3) small.jpg
DSC_0002 (3) small.jpg (203.59 KiB) Viewed 4750 times

Old thatch stripped off and damage under layer repaired. The rear pitch has had the grass glued on and can be seen at the edges.
DSC_0003 small.jpg
DSC_0003 small.jpg (189.58 KiB) Viewed 4750 times

I made paper templates of the shape of the dormers and used that to cut sections of mat which were pinned and glued on.
DSC_0008 small.jpg
DSC_0008 small.jpg (230.99 KiB) Viewed 4750 times

The flat shape was then cut from the mat for the main roof and the whole lot glued on. The edges were wrapped around the foamboard and held in place by big bulldog clips and pins, whilst it dried.
DSC_0009 small.jpg
DSC_0009 small.jpg (254.72 KiB) Viewed 4750 times

Once it had all set I used scissors to trim the edges.
DSC_0003 (2) small.jpg
DSC_0003 (2) small.jpg (202.47 KiB) Viewed 4750 times

The whole of the body of the cottage was then masked using tape and paper and the roof given a thorough spraying of the Bumper paint.
DSC_0004 (2) small.jpg
DSC_0004 (2) small.jpg (212.43 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
The ridge piece was made from some spare foamboard and covered with grass in the same way. The spars are represented by sewing fine waxed cord in an X pattern, and then tit was sprayed to match and glued on top.
DSC_0001 small 1.png
DSC_0001 small 1.png (218.78 KiB) Viewed 4750 times

Time will tell how well the paint adheres but it should be fairly simple to re-spray when necessary.
Obviously the building need some general refurbing but I didn't want to waste time on that until was happy with the roof.
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: Thatched cottage - RE-ROOFED

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:00 pm

Nice work Philip, and an innovative solution. The end result is most satisfactory. :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:59 pm

Most effective, texture and colour look to be good, and with a little weathering, by natural means, that should be just right.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:53 pm

Looks good to me. I like the way you've done the ridge.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:55 pm

There are a lot of thatched cottages where I live and that's spot on