Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:59 pm

:D :shock: :? :lol: :twisted: :roll: 8)

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:43 pm

That inconsiderate driver giving me a shock like that at the SLR north really did top off a truly horrid day.
However, I believe that another local line, the "Little Morecambe Steam Railway" shall be operating this coming weekend, giving me the opportunity to carry out a full inspection. I believe that this line will be performing "service running" as opposed to just sending trains out at random as most garden lines seem to do, with services concentrated on moving goods loads across the garden. This I look forward to seeing, however I hope that this railway is in a much better condition then the SLR north.

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:16 pm

:shock:
Oh Gawd I forgot about Victor !!!!
Its a working railway not a prissy tourist line lol
Ps don't stand in the permanent way hopefully its gonna be busy.
:? :twisted:

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:57 pm

Today I visited the Little Morecambe Steam Railway. I will post a fuller account of my findings tomorrow, however in summery the line was generally good, with some issues. The main problem was the extremely steep gradient from Carnforth to the junction, which caused some difficulty in keeping speed under control. I also had the complete misfortune to run into the General Manager of the SLR north, and one of his locos, which true to form crashed and turned over on its side, injuring the driver. It was obvious excessive speed was to blame, and I believe that the driver had been drinking. He and his loco have immediately been impounded pending an investigation by my colleagues at GRAIB (Garden Rail Accident Investigation Branch)

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:56 pm

The Little Morecambe Steam Railway runs between the former railway town of Carnforth, and the seaside resort of Morecambe. Despite the apparent tourist potential, during the time of my visit an intensive freight service was in operation, transporting wood and gravel from Carnforth to Morecambe. The intense train operation did not allow me to inspect the line and civil engineering to any great extent, but I rode on one of the freight trains (they refused to provide a passenger carriage for me, leaving me somewhat unimpressed) and then in the cab of the visiting loco from the ANLR, the Baguley diesel "Criccieth Castle"
I arrived at the Carnforth terminus, which seemed well laid out with facilities for both passengers and freight. The loco sheds are located here, with areas for preparation and disposal.
One extremely pleasant surprise was the working signalling, controlling access to the line and marshalling line. Pointwork was however, still locally controlled sadly
These passengers were uncommunicative, and made me rather uneasy
There was some strange advertising, this one explaining the presence of a "Large Pig" in the area
I was pleased to see signs discouraging the silly pastime of trainspotting
I then boarded a train of log carriers, pulled by Criccieth Castle. After refusing to provide a carriage, I had to travel standing up, luckily the wagon had handrails
The first half of the line was controlled by token, a feature that other garden lines should take note of
On departing Carnforth, the line descends very steeply, at a ruling grade of 1 in 12. This is too steep, even with fully fitted trains and the safety aspects of this hill worry me greatly.
The rest of the line is fairly flat, and Morecambe was reached without incident, passing an up train at the passing siding, handing the token over
I returned on the empty train. The track appeared to generally be in good condition, reasonably well ballasted and with good top line and cross levels. Some curves could benefit of bending of rails with a jim crow
I then rode on the loco. Here, the train is in the passing siding at the half way point. No loop is provided, so the train has to back out. This is most unsatisfactory, especially as there is room for a loop. There was a line heading off towards a tunnel that the siding formed a loop for, but for some reason it was blocked off. Most confusing.
At Morecambe, I inspected the station building, which was smaller then that at Carnforth. All the buildings on the line appeared to be in good condition.
The gravel was unloaded into a waiting barge....
...however in a incomprehensible incident, I somehow ended up in the barge as well. I've ordered that the persons in charge of the stone transfer be made redundant immediately, the idiot is clearly not capable, and rather ruined my entire visit. The general manager has been sent my dry cleaning bill.

As services were drawing to a close, the GM for some reason allowed a visiting loco from the SLR north to run....
The GRAIB report is still awaited, but it is shocking that this shambolic line is affecting operations on other local lines. I've no idea why people are allowing this to happen, and why the SLR north is still running. I would beg railway general managers not to accept locos visiting from this railway!

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:15 pm

very good nice pictures too and the sun was out

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:36 pm

8)
The LMSR is pleased to see a generally positive report from Mr V Isle & in consideration of this, certain misdemeanor's (observed by LMS staff) being undertaken by the visiting ANLR Diesel Crew under the observation / instruction ? of said Vic shall be overlooked on this occasion.
It should also be noted factually that the gradient from Carnforth to Crag Bank is not the 1 in 12 quoted in the report but at its severest is currently 1 in 17 with an average of around 1 in 28 following reduction over recent winter months as far as has been possible at this time. The grade itself is not dangerous provided Locomotives and Rolling Stock are in good fettle and are operated with due diligence and appropriately by crews. Certainly the LMS Locomotives and stock skilfully driven by LMS Crews regularly traverse the grade without incident provided they are appropriately loaded. It is to be conceded that prior to recent easing of the grade the LMS was obliged to provide an available Banking Locomotive for the heavier trains but this should no longer be necessary.
Some say that the challenging nature of the Crag Bank grade offers a great deal of skill acquisition to visiting crews and a sense of great reward when it is tackled successfully.
With respect to signalling and pointwork the railway constantly strives to operate in a safe and technically advanced way but obviously akin to many other lines there are economies to be observed even to break even let alone make a meagre profit.
With respect to Passenger / Goods workings the winter weather brings with it a corresponding drop in passenger numbers which results in passenger services only being offered on the most pleasant of days off season and generally to local request. During these months the LMS is fortunate in having intensive goods working offered to it which provide much need additional revenue. This is possible because local Timber Merchant Mr M Python and the Local Quernmore Quartz Quarry company (Director being a Certain Mr Midgley of the Silverdale Light Railway North) choose to have material transported via the railway rather than road ( & "Hear Hear" to that we say) this tends to be required with greater intensity during winter months.
However once Summer Sunshine (music mistro please: "Bring me sunshine in your smile") appears and the Eric Morecambe Statue is able to cast a shadow then Passenger Services form the backbone of the railway operation. Indeed during the day reported on by Vic a Rail Tour special from the ANLR was run with a very nice rake of green n cream coaches motive power being provided by "Mountaineer" from the Lindeth Light railway standing in for the "failed" Russell from the ANLR. I heard the main steam pipe had become blocked by a large cigar similar in appearance to those smoked by Vic himself !!!
Many thanks to all those who attended in appalling rain at the start of the working day to provide both labour and locomotives though we did end up with glorious sunshine ! “Hip Hip Hurrah”.
In conclusion no life was lost on the day, bandages were provided as necessary, much timber and stone chippings were transported and wages were paid promptly at end of the working day.

Well apart from Vic who instead ended up closely inspecting the Barge, some say” happily” just as further stone chippings were discharged into it and on to his head.
(music mistro please: "Bring me laughter all the while")
:twisted:

SLRmidge
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SLRmidge » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:36 pm

You'll soon be hearing from my lawyers for slander Isle!
My engine was deliberately sabotaged!
Ian of the SLR(N)

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:37 pm

SLRmidge:97282 wrote: My engine was deliberately sabotaged!
Aaah, excuses, excuses... :lol:

As always, top notch reporting Mr Isle. :)
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:37 pm

With the agreement of Tim and Rebecca, I'd like to keep Mr Isle here until the 2nd week of May. This is so that he can attend PTLR fest, the biggest steamup on the North West Area Group, and inspect the Pine Tree Light Railway (I'm expecting a very poor mark for train control for THAT event....!) He will also be visiting the Scorton Bank Railway, and hopefully one or two more.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:29 pm

No problem, though the quantity and quality of your reports are giving us a tough act to follow.
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TTHLRMatt » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Ian, when he visits the PCR, I have a special surprise waiting :twisted:

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:50 pm

I have been somewhat quiet recently, during which time I have been reviewing my split pin collection. However, this month has seen some works going on on the Afonglas and Nant Llwyd Railway, and naturally I have taken an interest in these.
Firstly, the rebuild of the track in the workshop area has been undertaken, following the purchase of a second point from the well known supplier "Peco". This has given a small increase in the siding space, particularly on the middle road which can now hold two short bogie coaches.
A slight embarrassment for the engineer was this failure to account for the door. A quick bit of realignment was required...
The second work site is from the points for the upper loop to the slate quarry. The track here was only of adequate standard, with large flange gaps, loss of ballast and a lack of consistency of cant. To correct this, the track has been completely relaid at each end of the site. The alignment has been improved at the same time, the correct cant applied to the curves, and the whole lot generously ballasted.
In my opinion, a massive improvement, and setting the standards I'd like to see on other railways.
Tomorrow is the first gala day of the year on the ANLR, and I must admit I'm very apprehensive of the control on the line, and the ability to avoid accidents when the line is running at full capacity, as it may be tomorrow.

PeachBottom
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by PeachBottom » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:39 pm

laalratty:97425 wrote:With the agreement of Tim and Rebecca, I'd like to keep Mr Isle here until the 2nd week of May. This is so that he can attend PTLR fest, the biggest steamup on the North West Area Group, and inspect the Pine Tree Light Railway (I'm expecting a very poor mark for train control for THAT event....!) He will also be visiting the Scorton Bank Railway, and hopefully one or two more.
As long as he's here before our Summer Solstice :p Would have been fun to have had him at the table for the AGM though ;)
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

"Peachbottom was reading over my shoulder and has gone a funny colour, and is also in the kitchen where the Very Sharp Objects live" ~TommyDodd

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:52 pm

Narrow Minded:69119 wrote:
laalratty:69118 wrote:
Narrow Minded:69113 wrote:
laalratty:69111 wrote:I imagine he can visit the ANLR, you should have my address already. If you let him stay for a while, he can do a few NWAG lines, visit Ravenglass even and of course get decapitated by the killer bunny :lol:
Possibly even "toasted" by the Dragon?
Excellent idea, although need to negotiate with the management of the PTLR for making the roof removeable
The bars of the Dragon Wagon would leave those characteristic "grill marks" on him! ;)
Time to get him abroad. Of course, he might get to like it here ... :?:

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:30 am

I spent most of the afternoon staking out Afallen station from a nearby tree. Those that remember my reports of the ANLR will know that Afallen is the half way station where trains can pass. Therefore it is the location most likely to be involved in poor operating practices. Despite my worst fears, generally thing were quite sedate, with one instance where trains managed to set off in the same direction and crash into each other. The railway was acquitted of blame when it was realised that the offending train was being driven by the General Manager of the SLR north (not sure why he was allowed to run his locos here, I certainly wouldn't.
I then waited with anticipation and slight unease for my footplate ride on Britomart.
10 minutes after the booked arrival time, Britomart finally pulled into the platform and I began to inspect the loco.
I was rather surprised to find that the loco was only half painted. Allegedly this will be rectified after the locos next overhaul which is due very soon.
Looking round the front, it was quickly apparent that the loco was in a very poor external condition, it seems that the Fron Goch locomotive crews do not clean their engines, however I was told that this engine often does not have enough time on shed to be cleaned. Was I really so keen to have a ride on this engine?
I thought the external extension was poor, the cab though was even worse! The rust was particularly concerning, as was the limescale from steam leaks.
We ran round, however the driver managed to drive through points set against him, resulting in this. I was not impressed!
Running back onto the train, the sounds coming from the motion suggested that Britomart is in very poor mechanical condition.
We then set off, the tender affording a perfect view of the line ahead.
Despite the poor condition, the loco appeared to cope well enough with the goods train that was being hauled. However, when the loco became warm, so did the meths and I'm sure the cab caught fire at one point.
I disembarked at Afallen, having had something of a surreal experience on this curious locomotive. Wonder where the pet rabbit turned up from?

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:29 pm

I understand that tomorrow I'm going to be visiting another railway, a bit further away this time, in fact over the county boundary in Yorkshire. The General Manager of the ANLR has told me many bad things about this place and its people, apparently all tight fisted and stingy. I wonder what effect this lack of willing to spend will have on the Ingleton Mountain Railway.

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:42 pm

Well today I visited the Ingleton Mountain Railway, and it must be said it is a most curious line. None of the stations had names, and at times I got quite lost. The owner said "it's because there is a war on" but I didn't see much other evidence to suggest this, no munitions being moved, no blackout in houses and crucially no evidence of military action anywhere, apart from 3 very unlike looking soldiers at one of the stations. The line itself was somewhat chaotic in nature as well, with tracks going off everywhere, increasing the confusion of where the line actually went to.
I arrived at one of the stations, to find this group of locals, whose language was somewhat incomprehensible, although it seemed like they were talking about "how t'old days were reet grand like". Asking them what the service was like and where the line actually went only lead to some confused looks and "t'rides reet grand". Very odd.
I located the engine sheds nearby, which seemed to be satisfactory in terms of facilities. There were plenty of locos around, it seemed that it was a gala day. Some engines had been encountered before, but this one named "Blackadder" hadn't. It is obviously of the same class as Urien and Snowdon that I have encountered before.
The maze of tracks round the exit of the engine sheds, and not a signal to be seen, and no form of control in operation either! All highly unsatisfactory, although even I'll admit that signalling this lot would be a massive challenge.
Wandering along, I found tracks at 4 different levels. With no control it's a miracle that trains manage to go where they are supposed to at all (and that's assuming trains do go where they are supposed to)
At the next station, there were some more strange individuals, one of which told me to put that light out, despite it being broad daylight and there being no sign of blackout in any houses. Very strange people round here....
I found a signal close by, but it was obviously unconnected and it didn't mean anything obviously. The guy in the shelter was uncommunicative.
Another stations, where 3 "soldiers" (in the loosest possible terms) were stationed. They gave their names as Jones, Fraser and Pike (actually Pike didn't want to tell me his name, but somebody blurted out "don't tell 'im Pike)
As usual, the points were locally controlled. The track appeared to be in ok condition, although it was obvious that there were some extremely tight clearances, tight curves and locally severe gradients that made operation of the line very tricky.
One pleasant surprise was the inclusion of good facilities, although no train seemed to use them, and I'm not sure anyone knew where they were.
Sadly, the Silverdale Light Railway (North) saw fit to send an engine, and it was that wretched 0-6-0T that they sent to the ANLR last week and needed towing in by Snowdon. This was observed hitting a low tree, and then it fell off on the points here. The SLR north GM was unrepentant as usual, and refused to listen to my advice that he stop trying to run trains.
Overall, the IMR is a most curious concern, but one that its complexity makes rather unsafe. I'd recommend that signage is erected immediately, and also recommend some track rationalisation to improve the chances of trains going where they are actually supposed to....

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:14 pm

that's brilliant wonderful report im sat having a beer chuckling to myself thank you and keep up the good work

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:47 pm

A comprehensive report as always Mr. Isle.
Somehow I get the feeling you are enjoying this...
The railway which people forgot
(to build)