The Great Forum Railway Inspection

What is your latest project?
Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:15 pm

hussra:73705 wrote:On the kitchen table, being readied for dispatch - I need to warn you, he's very, very cross that we forgot to take him to Bekonscot today. (I have offered to show him our photos - it's not the same.)
That's right - hopping mad, I am. (And that's saying something, hopping is quite difficult for me.) The gauge 1 and the 7 1/4" - and missed 'em both.

The EHLR may be reasonably well constructed - but their corporate hospitality is terrible! I'm off elsewhere.

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:40 pm

It's very dark in this box. I think they must be taking me to the post office tomorrow. Where to next, I wonder?

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:39 am

Sorry note know that the MPLR wasn't on the list but Mr F Controller thinks it would shake up the staff a bit if Mr Isles came to inspect the MPLR . Is it too late? :shock:

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:36 am

No I'm just getting round to adding the MPLR to the list, lifes gone a bit hectic, my fault, sorry!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Crumbs they don't half bump you around in the post - worse than the ride on the old DVLR!

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:24 pm

No worries just thought I had posted a reply ages ago and realised I hadn't! :oops:

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Making progress with implementing the inspector's requirements. Here is the OEIS staff:

Yes, it's a length of broom handle. The rub-down transfers were left over from when I did the signalling diagram for Tywyn Wharf 20+ years ago!

And yes, of course it has the padlock key for the point clips attached, it's just that both key and point clips are (even in 16mm) much too small to be seen by the naked eye.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:41 am

OK, a bit more silliness now trying to get the line up to scratch for Victor to allow it to open.

This you have already seen in the EHLR thread:

And then there is the business of the level crossing requiring signs. Here they are, ready for installation, firstly the advanced warning signs (three, because of the junction just beyond the crossing):

And to go at the crossing itself (two sets of these, obviously):

Hopefully these will suffice to satisfy that awkward inspector chap.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:53 pm

I think this is my last posting from the EHLR's inspection this time round. I'm pleased to inform Mr Victor Isle that Beidreirin Crossing is now fully signed in accordance with the current traffic signs manual.

Here is the approach along the road from Pont Siriol:

And looking back along the same road beyond the junction:

And the view approaching the crossing on the road from Hendre station:

And a couple of views of the crossing itself:

One last close-up:

All being well, we should now be permitted to open for passenger services.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:26 pm

Well I arrived a few weeks ago at this railway that calls or itself the Kilhallon Valley "Steam" Railway. As of yet I have been unable to begin my inspections due to the Managers absence, then persistent heavy rain confined me to my room (Incidentialy at the best hotel locally) later that week when the weather cleared it was discovered that there had been a landslide in one of the cuttings and all trains had to be cancelled. I am promised that I will be able to commence my inspection soon.

Yours sincerely as ever,
Mr V Isle

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

An inspection Begins

Post by Victor Isle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Today I finally got to begin my inspection! The day started at 9.30 after a leisurely Breakfast at my hotel i journeyed to the railway in time to see the Locomotive; No.1 Cornish Maid Being readied for the days Trains.

Upon my arrival I found the Locomotive Simmering in the Platform.

I promptly jumped aboard for a quick nose... umm inspection.

I watched as the Loco Collected the carriages from the shed.

When the train was reversed into the platform i carefully selected which coach to conduct my inspection from.

I then Boarded the train and waited for the departure which was (surprisingly) on time....

I alighted at Hewitt halt to inspect the west stock shed and PW workshop.

The P-way "shed" was just about up to scratch...

I found some nice stock in the shed though I suspect its privately owned....

I then walked along the line to Par Station and awaited the next train.

Ahh here it is,that's odd the roster stated that No.1 would be operating this train....

Emerging from the "slightly" rough riding tunnel.

When we stopped at Quarryside the driver offered me a footplate ride. Always one to indulge my anorak side I accepted although this is certainly not safe!

That concluded today's Inspection. I later discovered No.1's boiler had sprung a leak at pressure and will need to be replaced. The manager said he'd settle for a second hand one if anyone's got one. Tomorrow I've been told the large hunslets out so i shall have to Spot... umm inspect that. So far this little line has done enough not to be shut down lets see if they can impress me in the next few days.....

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: An inspection Begins

Post by hussra » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:40 am

Victor Isle:74130 wrote:When we stopped at Quarryside the driver offered me a footplate ride. Always one to indulge my anorak side I accepted although this is certainly not safe!
Mr Isle... do I detect a touch of inconsistency creeping into your inspections? You seem to be letting the KVSR off pretty lightly compared to the treatment we received!
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:39 pm

Certainly not! I had not yet begun my formal inspections and was simply getting to learn the line, i have recently spotted a severe lack of tokens and other train control and the track work leaves a lot to be desired in most places a full report will be issued before i leave detailing what must be done. Any double standards you suspect are likely due to the KVSR has been open for many years and has a (relatively) clean record which leads me to believe that things are being done adequately, whereas your lack of records forced me to be a little more careful in my investigation. Oh and the hotel I'm being put up in might be helping as well.....

Yours,
V Isle

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:39 am

Has anyone seen or heard from Victor? He's gone very quiet ;)

DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:52 am

hussra:73373 wrote:Just to let you all know that Victor is having a day out today, and hopes to post his photos this evening (if I can photograph him on the platform at New Street without being arrested or taken away by the men in white coats).
Dont send him via Solihull Rich, if he came anywhere near our lot im sure we would be shut down before arrival at Moor street.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:03 am

DVT Dweller:75278 wrote:
hussra:73373 wrote:Just to let you all know that Victor is having a day out today, and hopes to post his photos this evening (if I can photograph him on the platform at New Street without being arrested or taken away by the men in white coats).
Dont send him via Solihull Rich, if he came anywhere near our lot im sure we would be shut down before arrival at Moor street.
I believe he left Richards estate in the middle of August ;)

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:47 pm

Narrow Minded:75280 wrote:I believe he left Richards estate in the middle of August ;)
He did indeed - paging Victor Isle, where are you? (If you are receiving us, you could always tell a tame giant to post you back to Zach's address, which is in your wooden box.)
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

KVSRmanager
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by KVSRmanager » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:39 pm

Sorry guys started college and haven't had time to do what i was planning to with him, I'll post him on to the next person tomorrow :oops:, sorry again I've got some photos of a day out he had I need to upload.

Josh

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:20 pm

Hopefully its not too late to join in with this? Would be nice to see what Victor thinks of the BLR's dodgy trackwork.

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:53 am

Thankfully, and to my great relief, the Skebawn and Castleknox Light Railway is beyond the jurisdiction of Mr V. Isle as he seems impervious to the usual wiles of Mr Knox's Country - alcohol and skullduggery.  

The last inspector down from Dublin came after we rolled a loco down an embankment.  The loco survived and so did the crew, but the relief man from Killarney shed went all boy scout on us and reported it.  He must have been a Protestant! It also did not help that it got in the Cork Examiner. Anyway, he gave us the once over after a rather lengthy and somewhat liquid lunch with the district manager and the Castleknox stationmaster, who took the precaution of doctoring the Inspector's stout.  By the end of lunch the Inspector felt game enough to give the line the once over, and professed himself satisfied, the doctored stout having sufficiently dimmed his powers of observation.  He then went to his room in the best (only) hotel in Skebawn and passed out.  Fintan O'Toole and the track gang had been out, but they only managed to deal with the really bad bits.  

However, the did ensure the Inspector returned to Banteer by horse car.... as we could not take the risk of him having a look at the line when stone cold hungover!  Since then, the boys have been more diligent than usual, spending less time in Kelly's Bar and more fixing the hills and holes in the track.  The only inconvenience contingent on this maintenance blitz was the unpleasant few minutes on the phone with the P.W. Super in Cork when we asked for double the usual amount of ballast.

Peter in AZ
Last edited by IrishPeter on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.