Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:19 pm

Well the engine got renamed but the WPSR signwriters spelling failed

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:36 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:72636 wrote:I really am sorry to everyone on the list for messing up, I forgot to send him before I went to wales. I've got a nice relaxing week at home from the 14th onwards so I'll send him off then. Pestering me will help though!
Don't forget to post the inspector this week!
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:45 am

So here's how this will work. Once you receive the inspector you must take him to inspect as many railways as possible and take photos! Then with the photos you have to post an inspection report on here. Be as creative and mean as you like!
As another idea I'd also love it if we could write him a diary for each visit so we get to see the personal side of Mr. Isle.
I shall start us off in a few hours with his departing thoughts...
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:53 am

The directors of the Elmdon Heath Light Railway are quaking in their boots.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

PeachBottom
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by PeachBottom » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:39 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:73225 wrote:So here's how this will work. Once you receive the inspector you must take him to inspect as many railways as possible and take photos! Then with the photos you have to post an inspection report on here. Be as creative and mean as you like!
As another idea I'd also love it if we could write him a diary for each visit so we get to see the personal side of Mr. Isle.
I shall start us off in a few hours with his departing thoughts...
How long do you want each of us to keep him?
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

"Peachbottom was reading over my shoulder and has gone a funny colour, and is also in the kitchen where the Very Sharp Objects live" ~TommyDodd

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:56 pm

As long as you like!
(to build)

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:31 pm

Can't get photo bucket to work so can't show you what you'll be receiving.
So you'll get a wooden box (badly wrapped - sorry Hussra) with the inspector inside, a tiny diary for you to write a summary of his visit in and his clip board. I did have a pen but I lost it.

He has departed and will arrive with Hussra tomorrow or Saturday.
Remember, his visits are what you make of them so please get creative and take plenty of photos, write mock reports, write his diary entries. Lets give him a really good personality!

I hope it all goes well. I'll be sending Hussra the next postal address as I'll be away in Norfolk for the next two weeks.

When its your turn to send him on I'll send you the address of the next person and you'll have to pm that person to tell them to watch out for the inspector!

Good luck everyone!
(to build)

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Mr. Isle wired back today to say that he had safely arrived at his first railway. Let the Inspection Begin!
(to build)

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:00 pm

As Mr Bond says, the inspector has landed! He has spent the afternoon lurking in the undergrowth and observing. But first some unboxing photos.

Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:06 pm

The inspectors jacket is awfully dusty after all that travelling! I hope you fair well...
(to build)

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:20 pm

Diary Entry no. 1
I have, indeed, arrived. I had an uncomfortable journey in that stuffy box and do not look forward to another, it has put me into a very bad mood indeed. I am still recovering from cyano- surgery, the buffoon at the hospital didn't manage to fix my jacket however and there is still a chunk missing from my lapel. I plan to skulk around the premisses of this up and coming 2ft gauge railway and work out how best to course upset and difficulties...

There appears ,at first glance, to be a lot of building work going on of high quality, I'll have to firm up my opinions later...

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:57 pm

OK, just to make this more real I've given Victor Isle his own account for you to post through when you've got him. Anyone who abuses the account will be banned - you have been warned.

You will get the account details from the person before you and you will then immediately change the password. That way only one person has access to the account at one time.
(to build)

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Diary entry no. 2

Post by Victor Isle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:16 pm

Diary entry no. 2

Well, here I am. Took a little while to gain access to the railway; I had hoped to be able to skirt around the house, but no such luck. Eventually managed to sneak in while the door was open.

And then the trek to the railway itself. This insignificant little line remains under construction, and it appears that the directors have not yet turned their minds to taking the line nearer to the eventual terminus at Rhiw Lleidiog. Not exactly helpful for one in my position (and of my stature!)

Anyhow, I eventually located Hendre station, and took a good look around. The standard of construction appears to be tolerable, but the line is certainly incomplete. I have been sent here because the General Manager, Huss by name, apparently seeks permission to open it to passengers! We shall see... today I have been inspecting incognito, I shall reveal my hand in due course.

Well, the signal box appears to be sturdily built, adjacent to a small level crossing. I found confess it hard to see in through the windows to discern the signalling apparatus in use.

Ballasting, here and elsewhere, is incomplete.

The station building is small, and whilst it is of satisfactory construction it cannot really be considered to be adequate as the terminus of a new line. There is no toilet. The ticket office was not open. There was one intending passenger, a tedious and dull man of the professor type. He may have a while to wait for his train!

I proceed to inspect the permanent way and pointwork. I found that the points were all connected to hand levers, and no facing point locks were fitted. This will not do. I suppose they will plead that they are a poor and impoverished line, struggling to open for traffic. Ha!

Trap points of an antiquated design are fitted to the only siding.

At the other end of the station, the points are shoehorned in next to a retaining wall. Clearances appear to be limited. So may be my patience with their GM! We shall have to undertake clearance trials with their longest vehicle.

Proceeding down the line, I came to a level crossing, of what appears to be a major arterial road in the neighbourhood. The arrangements for level crossing protection appear to be almost entirely absent!

And finally I came to the bridge. Again, the arrangements are substantial but incomplete, for where are the handrails?

This appears to be the full extent of the line in this direction at present - it terminates, most irregularly, on the bridge itself. But that is not the most extraordinary feature of this line! Later, after eating my sandwiches and drinking from my flask of Bovril, I returned to the bridge, to find it gone!

Swing bridges, or even lifting bridges, are of course not unknown - but one which vanishes entirely? Unprecedented! I must ask about arrangements for protection of the line.

Now, I must open that letter from headquarters, which I expect to contain details of my hotel for the night. I confess I cannot see where it can be from here - the area appears largely devoid of habitation.

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Diary entry no. 2

Post by Victor Isle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:58 pm

Victor Isle:73287 wrote:Now, I must open that letter from headquarters, which I expect to contain details of my hotel for the night. I confess I cannot see where it can be from here - the area appears largely devoid of habitation.
I don't believe it! They really are muppets at head office.

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Re: Diary entry no. 2

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:31 am

Victor Isle:73291 wrote:
I don't believe it! They really are muppets at head office.
Great first report but that last bit did make me chuckle a lot! :D
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:37 am

:D The worthy inspector's reports promise to be at least as entertaining as all this sports day nonsense on the tele.!

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:20 pm

Whoops...

(Not posed!)
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:24 pm

However, small railways generally have small accidents. The wagon will need a little repair, but the railway inspector goes right off to work again.

Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:19 pm

Diary entry no. 3

Well, an uncomfortable night at Hendre station ended with a rude awakening by a passing snail. I related this later to one of the railway staff, who made some incomprehensible remark about slime. I doubt he meant well.

Today I made myself known to the General Manager, and asked for the railway's locomotives and self-propelled passenger stock to be made available for inspection. Here are my findings.

Bow-framed Simplex - noticeable wear to the paintwork; driver uncommunicative and appears to be making an unfriendly gesture. Not fitted with continuous brakes. We may need to test it with the rice-pudding-ometer.

Baguley Handyside - the only one I managed to "cab" today. (Secretly I'm a bit of an anorak, but have to keep up the H&S facade for work.) Again, no continuous brake. The paintwork on this loco is truly shocking, and the control afforded to the driver is crude in the extreme.

Large diesel - this is rather more satisfactory, but I was unable to speak to the driver to ascertain his views on this machine. Peering through the window, I did note that his feet appeared to be missing - perhaps this injury was incurred on the line, during construction? I must make further enquiries. Curiously, this loco - which the GM had said was intended for passenger duties - is also unfitted! Surely they must have something fitted for continuous braking - Armagh and all that? If I were in charge here, I would insist on a more muted colour scheme.

Kerr, Stuart "Wren". Now this is nice - but obviously quite unsuited to passenger duties. What are they thinking of? There is a rumour that it is somewhat prone to rolling at speed - I think we shall have to test that out!

"Wilberforce" - I noted that this locomotive bears a striking resemblance to "River Deben" on another railway I have had dealings with. It is apparently intended to be the mainstay of the tourist service - though I hope we shall find that it is more reliable than the DVLR's loco. I shall insist on a steam test during my visit. I found the driver to be surly, and prone to staring in an unkind manner. No continuous brake here either! I am perturbed by their laxity regarding this matter.

And then the railcar - what shall we say of the railcar? This had been billed as one of the principal features of the line - a modern diesel railcar, but built to the 2 foot gauge, all mod cons - but I find that it is quite unfinished, having neither seats, window glass nor roof. And it seems that some miscalculation has occurred, for it was clear that had the roof been fitted I would have been quite unable to fit inside. Still, they claim to be continuing to work on it, and it seemed to perform tolerably well on test. But I shall not pass it for passenger service in its present state! No indeed.

Finally, I was taken for a brief tour in a small, and apparently quite antique, inspection vehicle.

I see that the GM has already posted a photograph of the aftermath - fortunate for him that he had recommended the use of Blu-tack as an additional safety device! But he shall pay for his insolence in posting these photographs.

My video of the trip is still uploading to Youtube, but I shall endeavour to post it later.

Hoping for a better night's sleep tonight...

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:49 pm

Here at last is my video from today. Some particularly shoddy driving, I must say.

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h64JYYT6X3U?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h64JYYT6X3U?ve ... n_GB&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>