The Great Forum Railway Inspection

What is your latest project?
invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:37 am

:D The worthy inspector's reports promise to be at least as entertaining as all this sports day nonsense on the tele.!

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:20 pm

Whoops...

(Not posed!)
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:24 pm

However, small railways generally have small accidents. The wagon will need a little repair, but the railway inspector goes right off to work again.

Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:19 pm

Diary entry no. 3

Well, an uncomfortable night at Hendre station ended with a rude awakening by a passing snail. I related this later to one of the railway staff, who made some incomprehensible remark about slime. I doubt he meant well.

Today I made myself known to the General Manager, and asked for the railway's locomotives and self-propelled passenger stock to be made available for inspection. Here are my findings.

Bow-framed Simplex - noticeable wear to the paintwork; driver uncommunicative and appears to be making an unfriendly gesture. Not fitted with continuous brakes. We may need to test it with the rice-pudding-ometer.

Baguley Handyside - the only one I managed to "cab" today. (Secretly I'm a bit of an anorak, but have to keep up the H&S facade for work.) Again, no continuous brake. The paintwork on this loco is truly shocking, and the control afforded to the driver is crude in the extreme.

Large diesel - this is rather more satisfactory, but I was unable to speak to the driver to ascertain his views on this machine. Peering through the window, I did note that his feet appeared to be missing - perhaps this injury was incurred on the line, during construction? I must make further enquiries. Curiously, this loco - which the GM had said was intended for passenger duties - is also unfitted! Surely they must have something fitted for continuous braking - Armagh and all that? If I were in charge here, I would insist on a more muted colour scheme.

Kerr, Stuart "Wren". Now this is nice - but obviously quite unsuited to passenger duties. What are they thinking of? There is a rumour that it is somewhat prone to rolling at speed - I think we shall have to test that out!

"Wilberforce" - I noted that this locomotive bears a striking resemblance to "River Deben" on another railway I have had dealings with. It is apparently intended to be the mainstay of the tourist service - though I hope we shall find that it is more reliable than the DVLR's loco. I shall insist on a steam test during my visit. I found the driver to be surly, and prone to staring in an unkind manner. No continuous brake here either! I am perturbed by their laxity regarding this matter.

And then the railcar - what shall we say of the railcar? This had been billed as one of the principal features of the line - a modern diesel railcar, but built to the 2 foot gauge, all mod cons - but I find that it is quite unfinished, having neither seats, window glass nor roof. And it seems that some miscalculation has occurred, for it was clear that had the roof been fitted I would have been quite unable to fit inside. Still, they claim to be continuing to work on it, and it seemed to perform tolerably well on test. But I shall not pass it for passenger service in its present state! No indeed.

Finally, I was taken for a brief tour in a small, and apparently quite antique, inspection vehicle.

I see that the GM has already posted a photograph of the aftermath - fortunate for him that he had recommended the use of Blu-tack as an additional safety device! But he shall pay for his insolence in posting these photographs.

My video of the trip is still uploading to Youtube, but I shall endeavour to post it later.

Hoping for a better night's sleep tonight...

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:49 pm

Here at last is my video from today. Some particularly shoddy driving, I must say.

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h64JYYT6X3U?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h64JYYT6X3U?ve ... n_GB&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:40 am

Victor Isle:73329 wrote:Here at last is my video from today. Some particularly shoddy driving, I must say.
I expect that will be in the Report too !  lol   ;)

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:49 am

Just to let you all know that Victor is having a day out today, and hopes to post his photos this evening (if I can photograph him on the platform at New Street without being arrested or taken away by the men in white coats).
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

SherpaPhil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SherpaPhil » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:28 pm

i like the Victor post's but has he been naughty to be taken to New St as i only go there because they pay me to go there & i've been warned not to take pic's of my own trains as well !

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:40 pm

Mr Huss apparently has a "day job" as well as his efforts for this nascent EHLR, so I was free to explore the locality today. Just one or two brief snaps.

Moor St Station in Birmingham - all pleasant enough, but only half of it is real GWR and the other half a not terribly convincing pastiche.

I found the seats in this 323 quite disagreeable.

And the cameraman couldn't hold his phone still! Leaving New Street.

Glad to be out of that 323 - this is University station (one of three stations with that name in the UK - where are the other two?)

Trainspotting on the cross-city line by the Worcester & Birmingham Canal - turning my back on some dreadful plastic.

Now that's my sort of railway architecture! New St signal box.

And finally a couple of shots of Olton - a shadow of its former self, but the EHLR could still learn a thing or two from it about railway horticulture.

Will return to the EHLR itself on Wednesday.

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:53 pm

Well, I see nobody has yet taken up the little quiz about stations called "University". Come on, people!

Today I have inspected "Wilberforce" in steam, and the EHLR's four-wheeled coaching stock. Tolerably satisfactory, I thought - my video is uploading to YouTube. Got some good snaps, too, which I will share later.

Then I shall have to compile my formal report for the Ministry of Miniature Transport. <Rubs hands in glee!>

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:12 pm

Diary entry no. 5

Back to the EHLR today. I asked for the "tourist" passenger stock and the steam locomotive "Wilberforce" to be prepared, to simulate the proposed passenger service that they hope to begin shortly on the completed section of the line.

This rolling stock comprises one Guard's van, one three-compartment Third Class carriage, one three-compartment "open" carriage (Third Class), one two-compartment First Class carriage and two restored "Quarrymen's" type carriages.

I make the following observations:
  • All of these carriages are designed for short people and I found that I could not readily fit in any of them standing up.
  • The First Class carriage is clearly incomplete, having no seats. They will not, I feel, find a ready market for 1st class travel until the accommodation is improved to reach the required standard.
The locomotive "Wilberforce" was then steamed, by the same uncommunicative and staring driver upon whose manners I commented earlier.

Examining the loco, I found that a novel contrivance had been installed in the chimney "to enhance the chuff". I think this line would be better advised to spend their capital upon ballasting, platform construction and extension of their line to a more sustainable length!

While steam was raised I checked the carriages for cleanliness. This was satisfactory, though I noted several windows that had been left open. Only some of the carriages appear to be equipped for the continuous brake...

Finally, the locomotive was coupled on and made ready for departure.

The proposed method of operation is to propel the train out of the station in the up direction to the current limit of working, then run through the station non-stop to the bridge, and finally to propel back to the station. Given the lack of run-round facilities, this is probably the best that can be done unless trains are topped and tailed - but it does mean propelling the train over an open level crossing! This will not be acceptable in the long term; we should set a time limit on such operating methods. Visibility is better if the locomotive is at the down (bridge) end of the train, and we should insist on this before allowing them to open.

I also noted that the train used today was too long to fit between the down end loop points and the level crossing, meaning that the crossing would be obstructed during shunting. Their operating instructions must alert staff to this problem.

I shall conclude for today with a number of other photographs of today's operations, and my video. I must say that the locality is quite pleasant, and there are some attractive views of the trains to be had. The railway should purchase a bottle of "Brasso" to enhance the appearance of the locomotive "Wilberforce" - a better investment than this frivolous "chuff pipe".

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DHvtnK0JtQY?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DHvtnK0JtQY?ve ... n_GB&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I now turn my attentions to my formal report to the Ministry!

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:25 pm

Victor Isle:73452 wrote:I now turn my attentions to my formal report to the Ministry!
Uh-oh! :|
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:03 pm

Sir,

I have the honour to report to the Minister for Miniature Transport upon my inspection of the Elmdon Heath Light Railway.

This minor line, which has been under construction for approximately 15 months, has applied for permission to open a stretch of line around Hendre station for passenger traffic. The remainder of the line between Rhiw Lleidiog (where the line will, in time, interchange traffic with the GWR) and Gallt Llwyfen (where there are slate quarries) remains under construction, and further inspections will be required before they may be considered for opening.

I consider that the works are soundly constructed, but many details remain unfinished, and my recommendations take into account the need to ensure completion of these works.

Hendre station is proposed to be the operating hub of the line in the first instance. There is a passing loop and a single siding; a minor road crosses main line and loop at the up end of the station. A small but sturdy signal box has been erected adjacent to the crossing, but at present the points are connected to individual hand levers. Before the line can be opened point clips must be provided, so that the main line can be secured for through running. The clips must be padlocked, and the key to the padlock attached to the Train Staff (q.v.). No platform has yet been constructed at the station, although a small (barely adequate) station building is ready for use. The main line through the station remains unballasted.

Beyond the level crossing the line continues for a short distance to Tanyperth, where it is proposed to open a halt, and this stretch of line is adequately fenced, has been ballasted, and is ready to be opened for traffic.

In the opposite direction, the line crosses a main road at Beidreirin level crossing. No signage for the crossing has yet been provided; this is an "Open" crossing, and full signage compliant with the current Traffic Signs Manual must be provided for road traffic. The signage provided must take into account the road junction immediately beyond the crossing. For rail traffic, "Whistle" signs should be provided.

The final section of line presented for approval runs to, and onto, Pont Siriol. This bridge of novel design is removed when the line is not in use, so as to leave no obstruction to river traffic. During construction, it understood that a diesel locomotive fell from the unprotected end of the line when the bridge had been removed. Adequate protection arrangements must be made.

It is proposed to operate, on most occasions, with one loco, which will propel the train in one direction. Whilst this is not ideal it seems unavoidable in the first instance. Propelling of passenger trains will not, however, be permitted once the line extends to Llanfair ar y Ffos. Examining sightlines, it is apparent that visibility will be improved if the locomotive is at the Pont Siriol (down) end of the train, and this is a requirement. On occasions when two locomotives are available, topping and tailing of the trains is permitted and, indeed, encouraged.

The following rolling stock is hereby approved for passenger use:
  • Steam locomotive "Wilberforce"
  • Large diesel locomotive
  • The four-wheeled coaching stock, comprising 3-compartment 3rd class carriage, 3-compartment 3rd class open carriage, 2-compartment 1st class carriage, 2 no. Quarrymen's style carriages, and 4 wheel passenger guard's van.
The diesel railcar currently under construction may not be used in passenger service until completed and reinspected.

Before the line can be opened, the following must be completed:
  • One Engine in Steam (or two or more engines coupled together) staff to be provided, covering the whole passenger running line from Tanyperth, through Hendre station and to Pont Siriol.
  • Clip and padlock points at Hendre, with padlock key attached to train staff.
  • During push-pull working, the locomotive must be at down end of train and the guard's van at up end. The guard must keep a good lookout during propelling moves and especially approaching Beidreirin crossing.
  • At Beidreirin Crossing, road signage must be erected, compliant with current legislation. Great care must be taken when shunting movements at the down end of Hendre station may foul the level crossing.
  • At Pont Siriol, a suitable means of protecting trains should the bridge be removed. I am content, given projected traffic levels, for this to be by means of stop boards on the approach to the bridge.
Works to be completed within three months:
  • Complete ballasting and tamping of running line. When ballasting is complete, line speed may be increased from 10 to 15mph.
  • Construct platform at Hendre station.
  • Complete fencing of the line.
  • Provide Whistle signs for Beidreirin level crossing.
Works to be completed within one year:
  • Complete installation of signalling at Hendre station - a follow-up inspection will required, after which line may be divided into two One Engine in Steam sections.
  • Complete installation of continuous brake. This will be a requirement before any subsequent section of line incorporating gradients over 1 in 120 may be opened.
Further sections of line:
  • A further inspection will be required. Outstanding requirements from this inspection must be completed before any further section of line may be opened. It is understood that the next section to be constructed will be from Pont Siriol to Llanfair ar y Ffos, where a branch will diverge. Close attention will be paid to the signalling arrangements for this junction.
Subject to the above requirements, I am of the opinion that this modest line may be opened for passenger services. Photographic confirmation that these requirements have been met will suffice to permit opening.

I remain, Sir, your obedient servant,

Victor Isle (Mr)
HM Inspector

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:25 pm

A most thorough inspection and report which I thoroughly enjoyed. (My computer isn't working for youtube at the moment, not sure why...)

Where is the inspector at the moment?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:03 pm

On the kitchen table, being readied for dispatch - I need to warn you, he's very, very cross that we forgot to take him to Bekonscot today. (I have offered to show him our photos - it's not the same.)

The final requisites needed for the EHLR to be allowed to open are also being prepared.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:15 pm

hussra:73705 wrote:On the kitchen table, being readied for dispatch - I need to warn you, he's very, very cross that we forgot to take him to Bekonscot today. (I have offered to show him our photos - it's not the same.)
That's right - hopping mad, I am. (And that's saying something, hopping is quite difficult for me.) The gauge 1 and the 7 1/4" - and missed 'em both.

The EHLR may be reasonably well constructed - but their corporate hospitality is terrible! I'm off elsewhere.

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:40 pm

It's very dark in this box. I think they must be taking me to the post office tomorrow. Where to next, I wonder?

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:39 am

Sorry note know that the MPLR wasn't on the list but Mr F Controller thinks it would shake up the staff a bit if Mr Isles came to inspect the MPLR . Is it too late? :shock:

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:36 am

No I'm just getting round to adding the MPLR to the list, lifes gone a bit hectic, my fault, sorry!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Crumbs they don't half bump you around in the post - worse than the ride on the old DVLR!