The Great Forum Railway Inspection

What is your latest project?
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 14, 2014 9:09 am

I've added my name to Victor's list thanks to being inspired by his latest inspections. Worryingly I now find myself appraising developments (or lack of) on my line in "victorspeak"...

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:09 pm

I am not even going to invite him just yet (maybe once my line is more compleate)as my line is out and back with just a passing loop no signals and point control..

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu May 15, 2014 8:35 pm

Victor Isle has now left the Afonglas and Nant Llywyd Railway, and is now in transit to Lincolnshire, and the Lindsay Joint Railways Administration. I await his future reports with great interest!
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Fri May 16, 2014 8:36 pm

I've been back in my box, and its suddenly become extremely uncomfortable in here. The joys of travel by post, there really must be a better solution.

PeachBottom
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by PeachBottom » Sat May 17, 2014 11:28 am

Victor has arrived! I have let him out of his box to enjoy some of the Sunshine today....
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

"Peachbottom was reading over my shoulder and has gone a funny colour, and is also in the kitchen where the Very Sharp Objects live" ~TommyDodd

PeachBottom
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by PeachBottom » Sat May 17, 2014 12:47 pm

Oh dear, he's already made a friend....

"Peachbottom was reading over my shoulder and has gone a funny colour, and is also in the kitchen where the Very Sharp Objects live" ~TommyDodd

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat May 17, 2014 7:52 pm

Is that Victor loafing about in a garden hammock with a female of dubious character? What next...

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat May 17, 2014 8:19 pm

I see he is already finding life to be very different to that on the ANLR (where he was usually hanging around with a rabbit of very dubious character....) I wonder if SLR Midge's layers have managed to keep tabs on him?
"What the hell is that?"

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Sat May 17, 2014 8:57 pm

invicta280:100728 wrote: with a female of dubious character? What next...
That "dubious character" is an authentic German doll, recruited by Peachbottom as crew for The Freudentalbahn (the LJR's Austrian alter ego) RH Ziller "Rotkopf Madchen". Both Victor and I can confirm (as a result of a gust during today's photo session) that her costume is authentic and respectably modest all the way down.
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

PeachBottom
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by PeachBottom » Sat May 17, 2014 9:01 pm

You forgot the umlaut. Mädchen.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat May 17, 2014 9:32 pm

PeachBottom:100732 wrote:You forgot the umlaut.  Mädchen.
And I'm not entirely convinced by the 'rotkopf' description either.... I see no red hair!
Has Victor been 'set up' here with a sweet talking young lady to take his mind off the serious matter he is there to perform?

PeachBottom
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by PeachBottom » Sun May 18, 2014 9:40 am

Peter Butler:100735 wrote:
PeachBottom:100732 wrote:You forgot the umlaut.  Mädchen.
And I'm not entirely convinced by the 'rotkopf' description either.... I see no red hair!

Lol! The loco is named Rotkopf Mädchen -- there is a mountain in the Zillertal region called Rotkopf and it's also named for my literary heroine -- Anne of Green Gables :)

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun May 18, 2014 4:17 pm

The girl in question is wearing the regional costume of SW Germany (think Black Forest), as the red pompoms on the hat are a dead give away. I think we should be told if Victor is hiding out on the continent ....

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Sun May 18, 2014 7:06 pm

I am pleased to confirm that despite the "best" efforts of the Royal Mail I have arrived safely in Lincolnshire, in the outer reaches of my erstwhile employers' territory, only a few short miles from the Great Northern and Great Eastern Joint line. Quite apart from the various eccentric minor lines it is my professional duty (and misfortune) to examine in sordid detail, I am looking forward to re-acquainting myself with the infrastructure and practice of a proper railway.

Upon my arrival I was met by Horncastle MPD's foreign exchange staff, namely Fahrerin Heidi, who I am informed is the appointed driver of the locomotive Rotkopf Mädchen. visiting from the LJR's "Twin" railway in Austria, the Freudentalbahn. I was then informed that I would not be permitted onto the railway, except in areas accessible to the general public, until I had met certain conditions, including obtaining something called "PTS" and wearing garish and ludicrous "PPE". I was frustrated and disappointed by this, annoyed and insulted that my ability to look after myself in a railway environment could be called into question. However, on mature reflection I must conclude that a railway management so obsessed with petty rules and nit-picking is one after my own heart, and one prepared to court the wrath of the inspector to indulge an OCD love of box-ticking is one I may enjoy. Heidi explained this in broken English, then provided the offending garments and proceeded to show me to the changing room, going so far as to come in with me. Perhaps I misunderstood her instructions, or maybe it's a peculiar continental tradition. Anyway, the garments are adequate if hardly flattering.

This worthy guided me to the temporary office accomodation which the company has provided for my use during my visit. I was told it had been built quickly and cheaply, using readily available materials that were ideally suited to a personage of my importance. Having been given a guided tour of the facility, including a demonstration of doors, locks, curtains and blinds, with particular emphasis on small private cubby holes by Heidi, I find it to be adequate. The choice of construction materials is eccentric to say the least. A lesser man would wonder if it was a bodge, a brazen attempt at flattery or subtle mickey taking, but the latter is only of interest to those poor souls cursed with a sense of humour, something upon which I've never had to waste any of my precious time.

Following this, I asked if I might be able to occupy my time usefully until the necessary procedures to allow me onto the operational railway are complete. Heidi's suggestions were incomprehensible, and since I have no idea what "Möchtest du mit mir schlafen?" means I had to content myself with some tedious paperwork. An evening alone with a large selection of forms and not a train in sight? That's railway inspection the way I like it, and one of the pleasantest evenings I can remember.

I am told that the manager of this railway is also involved in local main line activities, and that I would be welcome to observe and inspect some of the local infrastructure. I shall report on this at the earliest convenient opportunity.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun May 18, 2014 8:32 pm

Flipping heck, I see that there has been a complete change of style for the railway Mr Isle is visiting, and it will almost certainly be much more to his liking. I can see that the visit to the SLR North is now going to become just a distant memory...
"What the hell is that?"

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun May 18, 2014 9:06 pm

Good to see the Mr. Isle arrived safely. The orange outfit serves him right!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun May 18, 2014 9:34 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:100756 wrote:Good to see the Mr. Isle arrived safely. The orange outfit serves him right!
I recently purchased an unused ex-BR hi-vis orange all-in-one boiler suit, complete with double arrow logo - I don't actually need such a garment, but at £2 it was so much of a bargain I just couldn't resist. Maybe I could take up railway inspection? Looking good Mr I...

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun May 18, 2014 10:18 pm

I would advise the inspector that Heidi has been using the totally unacceptable informal "du" form for her communication with him ("möchtest du mit mir schlafen?" / du you want to sleep with me), when for a man in his position the formal "Sie" would be far more appropriate (Möchten Sie mit mir schlafen?". I suggest a disciplinary reprimand would be appropriate for grammatically unacceptable forms of behaviour.

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:26 am

I am pleased to report that since my arrival I have been gainfully occupied, having inspected two garden railways, several main line locations and even engaged in a little overseas consultancy work. Two further visits to garden railways took place but inspection proved impossible due to adverse weather conditions, and these will be revisited later if time permits. Obviously writing all these reports up at once would be both impracticable to do and indigestible to read, so I therefore propose to submit a series of individual reports at suitable intervals.

My first inspection was on a standard gauge main line and concerned an item of equipment I had not previously encountered, namely the newly-installed MCB-OD level crossing at Bonemill lane, Sleaford North Junction, on the GN&GE Joint line. Until two months ago this location was under the control of a signalbox of Great Eastern Railway design, and as such naturally superior. At the time of my visit this was still standing, albeit out of use and with all electrical equipment stripped, though the frame remains.

Whilst it is true that I have an unmatched reputation for probity, and cannot be deflected from my professional opinion by bribery, flattery. persuasion, intimidation, argument or logic, I would say that any railway that provides a second home for this fine example of Great Eastern architecture would by doing so demonstrate sound judgement and best practice, two qualities I look for when inspecting a railway.

From the box steps the crossing is (naturally) easily visible, and all the new equipment can be seen to best advantage. There are four skirted barrier booms that completely close the road as with MCB and CCTV crossings, but there is neither staffing nor a camera mast here now.

Instead the crossing normally operates in an automatic mode. Once a route is set in the signalling centre, no further manual action is required. When a train reaches the strike-in point a radar scanner contained in the plastic housing (eerily reminiscent of a mint tictac) sweeps the crossing and if clear, permits the barriers to lower. Once down, a further radar sweep proves the crossing clear and permits the signals to be cleared, locking the crossing until the train is safely past.

In the event of failure, the crossing can be operated manually in one of two modes, Local Crossing Clear (for radar failures) and Local Control (for signalling failures) and separate control cabinets are provided for each. I cannot honestly say whether the verbose signage is a welcome move towards error prevention or a sad commentary on the diligence of those called upon to use this equipment.

Compared to timber gates, box and semaphores this new setup operates with brisk efficiency, at the price of being somewhat soulless and plastic, and meets all the latest standards. I approve of this latest step in the march of progress (though I do hope the old box finds a good home).

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:42 pm

I imagine this must seem like a world away from most of the lines encountered whilst you were up here....
Good to see that your position is being respected in high authorities nowadays and you can inspect the national network as well as our pokey little garden lines!
"What the hell is that?"