The RHBR fleet

What is your latest project?
Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:05 pm

Thanks for the info. I certainly think I'll be giving it a try. I just need to decide what traffic they will be for!

All the best,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:37 pm

The death of my laptop early last week (fecking windows 8!) gave me no excuses to do some modelling and I've made good progress on 4 projects, yet another IPE MOD open needs vacuum pipes painting the fitting and the numbering requires shading, the crane wagon I've been building is painted & the crane itself isn't too far off completion & the 2nd Swift Sixteen hopper wagon requires some detail picked out with black. The major project recently is the construction of an IPE VOR bogie brake whose body & bogies have been built & painted as my plan is to finish the body including fitting the glazing & roof before starting on the bottom end.
The last running day of the year is next Sunday and my aim is to have at least 3 of aforementioned vehicles running, a very realistic goal! :roll:

I've based the livery on the FR's No.1000 (formerly 100) which was used for a while as a p way coach, although I'm not entirely happy with the livery. Still needs a bit of tidying up but it's pretty much there.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:47 pm

Can't wait to see the completed PW set. How have you got one with the IP crane kit? I was wondering about buying myself one for Christmas.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:20 pm

The quality of the castings isn't great, they needed a lot of cleaning and in some cases bending to shape. I've made assembling it harder than necessary as I've avoided soldering however when viewed from a distance it'll be fine. If you've got some experience with white metal kits then it shouldn't present any major difficulties.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:19 am

Three wagons outshopped in a day means I've no excuse to crack on with the VoR coach now.

Doesn't look pretty, but it'll do

I've made the crane work at the last minute just to make it even more fragile!

If I was redoing the kit I would solder it, I've had to repair the crane a few times as joints gave up. I've also done the rigging differently to how IPE specify in the instructions, drilling a hole in the hook so the string sits on the pulley properly and rather than use two pieces to hold the jib up I've used one tied & glued onto the jib then passed through the balance weight onto the other side of the jib.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:22 pm

After the last running day Minnie was sent off to Barry Milner for a mechanical overhaul which included new axles front and back new bushes for the back axle along with new crankpins all round and overhauled rods.

I should probably clean the front wheels at some point!

Gleaming in the Easter sun, brass still clean from being cleaned a few weeks ago

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:04 am

Nice. I like that engine. I'm surprised it needed new axles though. You must run it a lot!